Victoria Holt, Jean Plaidy, Philippa Carr; Eleanor Burford, Elbur Ford, Kathleen Kellow, Anne Percival, and Ellalice Tate. discussion

Group Read: St. Bruno > TMSB Chapter 11: A New Reign

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie Burton (marieburton2004) | 534 comments Mod
Comment with your thoughts on this chapter.

message 2: by Marie (new)

Can I skim yet?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Marie wrote: "Can I skim yet?"

Are you bored with it???

message 4: by Marie (new)

So much build up --/--- I can't handle much more talking of the impending doom to the 'abbey'.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL....yes, it is a tad melodramatic, I would agree with that. But I still enjoyed it most of the way through and the end was kind of satisfying.

message 6: by Marie (new)

Good, I hope it picks up soon

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

It does, in a "it's about time all this crap wraps up" kind of way. It's certainly not a bad novel at all, just not one of her best. Plus, we don't have to worry about her getting all pissy with us if we have any criticisms. Added bonus!

message 8: by Marie (new)

Queen Mary is on the throne! Lol. We who doubted Bruno, for shame ;)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL...I forget, did she actually refer to her yet as "Bloody Mary"? Serious pet peeve of mine: referring to a historical figure by a moniker that doesn't come into use until long, long after their death.

message 10: by Marie (new)

Not that I caught yet. Pg 307

message 11: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 76 comments Michele wrote: "It does, in a "it's about time all this crap wraps up" kind of way. It's certainly not a bad novel at all, just not one of her best. Plus, we don't have to worry about her getting all pissy with ..."

Lol. I don't remember much about this except that I was fairly underwhelmed :p

message 12: by Marie (new)

Ok, pg 323 Smithfield burnings began & the queen had been given a new name, Bloody Mary.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, uh, not so much. Ha

message 14: by Marie (new)

Misfit wrote: I was fairly underwhelmed"

The situations are fun, and love how she cleverly interwines the historical atmosphere. But DAMgirl is killlling me. *bitchslaps her*

message 15: by Susie (new)

Susie Fiorito (tudordaughter) | 30 comments It creeped me out when she referred to being able to see the smoke rising from Smithfield Square. Can you imagine?

message 16: by Marie (new)

That must have been a very trying time for people, I definitely can see why people started moving away... but persecution was going on in Spain too, I imagine there was strife everywhere. Hence the belief that America was founded for purposes of freedom (at the expense of Indians, a whole other story).