Pick-a-Shelf discussion

The Box > Feedback

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (last edited Mar 18, 2013 02:45PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8676 comments Mod
I think we've been remised in not having a feedback thread for this group. So, I have finally got myself together and created one.

Please do leave us your comments;
*suggestions as to how to improve the running of the group (of our current activities)
*what kind of new activity you'd like to see in the group (aside from reading challenges which there will be separate thread)
*what you like of the group
etc etc etc :)

Just a quick reminder, please keep your comments as positive as possible (ie. constructive) and would also appreciate if you would keep the language a polite a possible.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts and hopefully, implement whatever changes necessary to make our group a lot more interactive, fun, and challenging!

message 2: by Tien (last edited Mar 18, 2013 04:23PM) (new)

Actually, I have ONE thing that I've been thinking of that I'd like to put into place by our 5th anniversary this October.

Some of you may be aware that our masthead is a photo of my bookshelf which I reorganised books to include as many 'shelves' as possible. What I'd like to do is to make a new masthead of:

A collage of our members' shelves

which I believe will reflect our group a lot better.

If you like to participate, then I'd like you to take a photo of your bookshelf and:
1. file is .jpg
2. size in around about 1Mb
3. load it up on the group's photo page using your GR nick as part of description
4. by 31 August 2013

I can't wait to see all your various shelves :D
Thanking you all in advance!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2827 comments Mod
What a great idea, Tien.

message 4: by Tien (new)

Lyn M wrote: "What a great idea, Tien."

Thanks, Lyn... you'd be sending in your shelf too, of course? ;p

Tien wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "What a great idea, Tien."

Thanks, Lyn... you'd be sending in your shelf too, of course? ;p"

Didn't think I had a choice, lol, so yes! My shelf is really quite rustic, though. But I was already thinking about what shot I wanted to send. :)

message 6: by Tien (last edited Mar 18, 2013 03:25PM) (new)

Lyn M wrote: "Didn't think I had a choice, lol, so yes! My shelf is really quite rustic, ..."

LOL - no, not really...

Would love to see all the different shelves. I wonder if everyone would like to take a peek at everyone else's shelf too and if so, maybe we can load the photos here on the group rather than emailing them to me.

I think it would be cool. I always love to see what others have on their shelves, and how they organize their books. It gives me ideas.....which as you know, can be a dangerous thing.

message 8: by Tien (new)

Lyn M wrote: "I think it would be cool. I always love to see what others have on their shelves, and how they organize their books. It gives me ideas.....which as you know, can be a dangerous thing."

ok, I've amended the instruction to loading photo up on the group's photo page rather than emailing to me :)

Cool. I will have to decide how I want mine to look. I may have to move some books around to get a good representation. :)

message 10: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann  | 81 comments I just wanted to chime in here to and let you know how much I've enjoyed your games. I'm not a particularly fast reader and there are times when I have so many interruptions that its hard for me to find peace and quiet to be able to read. I thought your Snakes and Ladder's game was fabulous! It seem to work out great for both slow and fast readers, the rules and procedures were simple and not complicated plus it made me have to read from different genres and try books I never probably would have ever considered reading. And because of that I have discovered some really great reads.

I also would like to thank you for Book-a-Fort because of the recovery task you gave me I found another great book, I wrote a review (writing is just not my thing, but I keep trying) and yesterday the author sent me a message asking if I would like a copy of her new book to read and review? So keep churning out those game ideas. :)

message 11: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1644 comments ⊱❁Jo Ann❁⊰ wrote: "I wrote a review (writing is just not my thing, but I keep trying) and yesterday the author sent me a message asking if I would like a copy of her new book to read and review"

Wow! You must have written a great review. I hope you enjoy the new book now :)

message 12: by Tien (new)

⊱❁Jo Ann❁⊰ wrote: "I also would like to thank you for Book-a-Fort because of the recovery task you gave me I found another great book, I wrote a review (writing is just not my thing, but I keep trying) and yesterday the author sent me a message asking if I would like a copy of her new book to read and review? So keep churning out those game ideas. :) "

oh wow, that's great, Jo Ann! Which book was it for? I hope the new book would be just as good!

Thanks also for your feedback. We just may recycle S&L again sometime :)

message 13: by Tien (new)

I thought I'd share with you some 'projects' we've got in mind:

1. Transfer history of Shelf Pickers & their Picked Shelves onto a Google Docs which (hopefully) will be accessible to all and allow ANY moderators to amend. Noting with GR comments, we are limited to the one who originally posted the comment to update the list

2. Update our bookshelf with what's read per monthly shelf. It has sadly been neglected since Mel is away.

3. Update our Masthead - quick reminder, I've only seen one shelf uploaded onto the photo section (thanks, Karen!), so please don't forget to do so by 31 August 2013 (2 months!)

These are aside from the challenges projects which are always ongoing with me ;)
something is always in the works

Also, we've had 2 rounds of POTS. I am thinking that we'll need to more 2 rounds to really iron everything out though this round seems to have gone pretty smoothly(?) Are we keen on having POTS as a regular activity in this group?

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3451 comments Mod
Tien wrote: "I thought I'd share with you some 'projects' we've got in mind: ..."

Yes to continuing with POTS!

#3 about the Masthead: I decided there was no way I could take a pic that would do what you wanted. We have floor-to-ceiling shelves on 3 sides of our basement and smaller bookshelves scattered around the house. And that doesn't count the ones stacked every which way to cram in as many as possible close at hand: (purchased) books filling up a shelf next to my bed and the library books above the headboard. And because they're all sort of grouped by categories, no one pic would give you the variety you're looking for. Sorry not to help.

Is there any way I can help with #2? I don't think the group needs another moderator, but if there's a way to give me access and instructions, I could pick up that slack for Mel temporarily.

message 15: by Tien (new)

Thanks, Susan :)
I've started on shelving and am halfway through! I'm feeling v. productive this week and thank God, work's busiest period is over with! *does happy dance*

With the masthead, I don't particularly need a 'variety' from a single photo. I'm after variety of shelf photos. Hope that makes sense.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Tien wrote: " ...With the masthead, I don't particularly need a 'variety' from a single photo. I'm after variety of shelf photos. Hope that makes sense. "

I uploaded a couple from the bedroom stash. Hope that helps.

message 17: by Tien (new)

Thanks, Susan! They're great :)

message 18: by Tien (last edited Sep 20, 2015 03:58PM) (new)

**ANNOUNCEMENT**

Some of you may or may not have noticed that I've removed Luann and Slayermel off the Moderators list. I've been in touch with them and due to life commitments and all, they've just been too busy to be involved in Goodreads and as such, resigned their positions. They'd visit and maybe get involve again one day...

You may also noticed that our shelf is basically unattended! I think it's time to admit that I've taken on too much and to seek help. I would be most grateful for assistance especially starting next year (hint: new challenge).

Ideally, I'd like 2 assistants (read: new mods) to help with:
1. managing the bookshelf
2. assisting with running next year's challenge

You don't have to do one or the other. In fact, these 2 tasks will be interchangeable and you can take turns with either task.

Please PM me if you'd like to help out! Thanks! :D

message 19: by Tien (new)

**Feedback**

Topic: Read-a-thon

We've just had 1 read-a-thon to focus on LOST which lasts for 1 week. I think it helped me and a few others quite a bit to really dig in and get those books read. I must say that I think it could be run better... if I were better organised! But after a week of sick boys and feeling a little unwell myself, I didn't quite have the energy :( (I'm ok now, just a little tired)

My query is whether you guys would like to see read-a-thon as something we do regularly -say once every 2-3 months? Just to push you along on LOST / moving mts? Or something totally different? A negative answer is also fine... don't feel like you have to say yes ;)

message 20: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments I like the idea of a read-a-thon. I'd aim for quarterly. I'm not opposed to specific challenges like LOST but I like the idea of leaving it open to ANY challenge books. That way more people can participate with what ever challenge they are working on, even if the challenge is just getting through the stack of books on the nightstand.

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 380 comments I haven't been keeping up with things so much, but I am happy to start partaking.

Can I also add, I really enjoyed the read-a-longs / group reads we have done. That motivates me more to read the books i keep putting off.

message 22: by Tien (new)

Lahni wrote: "I like the idea of a read-a-thon. I'd aim for quarterly. I'm not opposed to specific challenges like LOST but I like the idea of leaving it open to ANY challenge books. That way more people can ..."

Thanks, Lahni! Maybe we'll try a quarterly read-a-thon next year and see how that goes :)

message 23: by Tien (new)

Amanda wrote: "I haven't been keeping up with things so much, but I am happy to start partaking.

Can I also add, I really enjoyed the read-a-longs / group reads we have done. That motivates me more to read the ..."

So far, the read alongs have been initiated by the individuals. Would you like to see something more organised?

I kinda like it that anyone can suggest whatever book they really want to tackle but needed the support to do it for read alongs... that was my main purpose when I usually initiate a read along.

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 380 comments Tien wrote: "So far, the read alongs have been initiated by the individuals. Would you like to see something more organised?"

I am happy with the way they crop up now, just wanted to put it out there that they have been great motivators, and perhaps could crop up more regularly.

Which, I guess means I should perhaps put one forward for a book I am struggling to get to ;)

message 25: by Susan (new)

Amanda wrote: "Which, I guess means I should perhaps put one forward for a book I am struggling to get to ;) "

By all means, Amanda. Go for it!

message 26: by Tien (new)

Susan wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Which, I guess means I should perhaps put one forward for a book I am struggling to get to ;) "

By all means, Amanda. Go for it!"

Put up a wishlist if you like and see if you generate any interest for any or all of them :)

message 27: by Tien (new)

Thank you to all who have put their hands up in helping out. Susan and Bea are now moderators of the group and I'm so glad to have 2 such stout readers helping me :)

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 380 comments Tien wrote: "Thank you to all who have put their hands up in helping out. Susan and Bea are now moderators of the group and I'm so glad to have 2 such stout readers helping me :)"

LIKE!! :D

message 29: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1398 comments Great! Hooray for Susan and Bea!

message 30: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Yay! They will be a great addition!

message 31: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
Thanks, Amanda, Marina, and Lahni.

message 32: by Susan (new)

Let me echo Bea in saying thanks to Amanda, Marina, and Lahni. And also, hugely, to Tien and Lyn, and to the other moderators before us who have built this into such a terrific group. I hope we'll be able to help keep Tien free to do her game-creating magic by tending to some of the more routine stuff.

message 33: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "Let me echo Bea in saying thanks to Amanda, Marina, and Lahni. And also, hugely, to Tien and Lyn, and to the other moderators before us who have built this into such a terrific group. I hope we'll ..."

What Susan said...Amen.

message 34: by Tien (new)

Bahaha

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1089 comments Susan wrote: "Let me echo Bea in saying thanks to Amanda, Marina, and Lahni. And also, hugely, to Tien and Lyn, and to the other moderators before us who have built this into such a terrific group. I hope we'll ..."

Hear! Hear!