Chess Readers and Writers discussion

general > Chess Library

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Grimsley | 2 comments Hello all:

I'm new to the group and have started to take my chess game seriously. I see the group has built up a substantial selection of books on the bookshelf. I'm seeking some recommendations for volumes to include in building my chess library. I'm looking for non-fiction material on play, strategy, tactics, etc. Any recommendations are appreciated.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert (dabo) | 3 comments Can You tell us first which books about the chess endings do You already have?

message 3: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Grimsley | 2 comments The only book I have right now is Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess, which I am reading now.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert (dabo) | 3 comments On the bookshelf I have put Averbakh's "Chess Endings / Essential Knowledge".
If You don't have very much time for reading chess books, this is the only title You should read (and memorize) about this subject.

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy (androo) | 6 comments Definitely the endgame is worth studying. I like "Silman's Complete Endgame Course" because it lets me know roughly what level of play I'm at with regard to my understanding of endgames. The classic advice to beginning chess players is to learn the endgame first. For studying/practicing tactics, I don't like to read tactics books much. I do like the online tactics practice available at chesstempo dot com and at chess dot com. My understanding of openings is where my chess game is weakest. I wouldn't know what to recommend for that. My favorite way to study is to play through games from Grandmaster tournaments. The annotations in the tournament books are invariably instructive. Of this type of book, my favorite is "Rubinstein's Chess Masterpieces," by Hans Kmoch. I almost always play better over the board after having studied a few of these great games.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert (dabo) | 3 comments I also like "Silman's Complete Endgame Course" but in my view it's more a book for teachers (like me) then for students who a are working alone. Why? Because once the beginner finishes with the (let's say) first two-three chapters, he has to wait until he reaches the rating-level for the next chapter. And who can exactly tell that. On the other side, it's a very good read for those who has already reached an advanced level and now they want to check out do they have 'wholes' in their knowledge. However, if one wants to learn who to checkmate with the bishop+knight, he will have to take some other book. Silman has explained why he didn't put this issue in his book, but I think that his explanation doesn't "hold the water".
Regarding the basics of the tactic-play, the best introduction I have found (so far) is "Understanding Chess Tactics" by Martin Weteschnik.

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy (androo) | 6 comments Thanks Christian, openings are the weakest part of my game.

message 8: by Ettore (new)

Ettore Pasquini I am a real beginner so take my recommendstion with a grain of salt... Anyway i think my game improved noticeably after reading The Blackmar Diemer Gambit by Eric Schiller. I can't say it's a great book but it was instructive to me and fun to read. The main merit is that it gave me some level of confidence with that opening, and by doing that strengthened my attacking game even when I don't play it.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97...

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah M. | 1 comments Like Ettore I'm a bit of a beginner, but I would swear by this book by a guy named Chess Maniac. It's called Play Attacking Chess from Move One and its a quick read because it uses diagrams for each move the author makes but it's really helpful. I'd say its for anyone from beginner to an intermediate player so I'm not sure if that helps you at your skill level but I found I learned a lot from it.

message 10: by Donald (last edited May 25, 2016 04:32AM) (new)

Donald (dongor) | 9 comments The most popular books on my chess-primers shelf seem to be FM James Eade's Chess for Dummies and GM Yasser Seirawan's Winning Chess Tactics. Eade comes out with some very useful rules of thumb. Seirawan explains everything in detail, but he throws in some anecdotes for colour, and tries to keep it at a level that beginners can follow. Seirawan's Tactics book is one in a series all written for beginners: Winning Chess, Winning Chess Openings, etc.

message 11: by Sheldon (new)

Sheldon Sequeira (sheldonsequeira) | 2 comments Yasser Seirawan's Winning Chess series is a must read for beginners to intermediate players. Not only does he explain concepts really well, he has a great sense of humour, too. The books are fun to read, and easy to digest. Even if someone who hates chess reads the first book, they'll begin to take an interest in the game.

The three books I read have improved my game a lot and also my understanding of chess. I am now reading a fourth book in the series.

Also, remember to try out what you have learnt from these books in actual games, either OTB or online.

message 12: by James (new)

James Stripes | 2 comments Anyone want to review: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKG1VZD
?

message 13: by Sivam (new)

Sivam | 1 comments James wrote: "Anyone want to review: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKG1VZD
?"

hi James, I'm interested in reviewing it.

message 14: by Mishaal (last edited Aug 08, 2017 04:58AM) (new)

Mishaal AbdulKareem Hi..... I have just received from Amazon the chess book entitled "FCO Fundamentals Chess Openings" - Paperback, by Paul van der Sterren, GAMBIT, 2016 ....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/190...
It is so nice to have such a top ranked chess book. If you have any comments or advise, be glad to here from all of you.

message 15: by Mishaal (new)

Mishaal AbdulKareem Hi..... I have just received from Amazon the following chess books:

1- Chess Fundamentals, by Jose Capablanca, EVERMAN CHESS CLASSICS, 1994.

https://www.amazon.com/Chess-Fundamen...

2- The Reassess Your Chess: How to Master Chess Imbalances, by IM Jeremy Silman

https://www.amazon.com/Reassess-Your-...

It is so nice to have such a top ranked chess books. If you have any comments or advise, be glad to here from all of you.

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael Weitz | 6 comments Hello everyone. I'm new to this group as well, and thought I'd add one of my favorite books, one I actually proofread before it was published: The Search for Chess Perfection II by CJS Purdy. Purdy was a World Correspondence Chess Champion and has some great insight.

message 17: by Randy (new)

Randy (rkjulian) Search for Chess Perfection 2 would be an interesting book to look at (I have all of Purdy's books but this one). Unfortunately, this book is out of print and insanely expensive. There does not appear to be one available for less than $100 US - not a great value for a paperback chess book.

This problem happens all the time with chess books - the good ones go out of print and they then start increasing in cost to the point where it's not worth getting them. Too bad, because in this case, Purdy is one of the best authors for intermediate players.

message 18: by Randy (new)

Randy (rkjulian) Mishaal A. AbdulKareem wrote: "Hi..... I have just received from Amazon the following chess books:

Mishaal: The Workbook mentioned in your link is aligned with the 3rd Edition of How to Reassess Your Chess. The latest version of the book is the 4th Edition. In most of the interviews with Silman and others suggest that How To Reassess Your Chess ("HTRYC") is aimed at players above 1600 ELO. "The Amateur's Mind" is aimed at below 1600 with the goal of getting lower rated players up to the level needed for "HTRYC". Silman rewrote HTRYC from the 3rd edition to the 4th edition and completely updating his ideas of separating planning from the imbalances with recent advances - and in the 4th edition these two ideas (planning/imbalances) are more deeply interconnected (there are other changes in his thinking too). The workbook is good, just remember it was written to go with HTYRC 3rd Ed.

Chess Fundamentals is for everyone - a great book!

FCO is a very good single volume book too - you can go a long way to choosing an opening repertoire from this book.

message 19: by Mishaal (new)

Mishaal AbdulKareem Hi Randy ....
I have both editions (3rd & 4th) of Silman's "HTRYC". But I don't know how to show the link of my 3rd Edition copy of the same book on my profile page. I also have 2 copies of "My System" by Aron Nimzowitsch. The hard copy link is shown on my profile page and i don't know how to show the link of the paper back copy which is "My System 21st Century Edition". I'll be glad if you show me how to show the links of more than a copy of the same book.

message 20: by Randy (new)

Randy (rkjulian) Mishaal A. AbdulKareem wrote: "Hi Randy ....
I have both editions (3rd & 4th) of Silman's "HTRYC". But I don't know how to show the link of my 3rd Edition copy of the same book on my profile page. I also have 2 copies of "My Sys..."

I find putting multiple editions of a book (let alone books with different covers) on my goodreads shelves is not the simplest thing - I think if you put these two ISBN numbers in: 978-1890085131 for the 4th Ed. and 978-1890085001 for the 3rd. Ed. they should both show up.

I was referring to the Amazon links in your comment - the link was to the workbook, and I just wanted to make sure you knew which version of the Workbook went with.

Good luck with your chess studies!

message 21: by Donald (new)

Donald (dongor) | 9 comments I think the books shown on your profile page are the ones you've assigned high ratings to from your 'read' shelf (or another shelf you choose to 'feature'). Just assign high ratings to the two different editions.

There are some bugs in the code for editions. If you choose one edition, and then switch, oftentimes the cover for the first one shows up on your shelves.

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael Weitz | 6 comments I know what you mean. I believe the publisher (Thinkers' Press) went out of business and those with copies are pushing up the price. It's too bad because you're right, Purdy is a fantastic resource for intermediate players.

message 23: by Mishaal (last edited Aug 12, 2017 07:38PM) (new)

Mishaal AbdulKareem Hi Donald ...
You are absolutely correct, yes there is a bug. If you want to add another edition of the same book, then do the following steps:
1- Go to My books and click on copy#1 of your book. The book page will shows.
2- Hoop over the thumbnail image of the book and click on "other editions". A page will show that contains other editions of this book.
3- Select and Click on the thumbnail image of your copy#2. DO NOT click on "switch to this edition" icon on the right. A page will show that contains copy#2 of this book. Edit it by choosing if you read, to_read or currently_reading it. Finally, make ratings.
I'm Done