Traditional Fantasy discussion

Current Reads > What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 26 comments Shadow of the Wraith don't know yet only just opened it:)

Just finished Foundling Wizard which was pretty good.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (escapeartist) | 19 comments The Winter King. This is the first book of a trilogy on the Arthurian Legend and completely different than any other I have read. So far, it is very good.

message 3: by John (new)

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 60 comments Mod
Just finished The Burning of Cherry Hill which I enjoyed immensely. I'm not sure if it counts as traditional fantasy. it's a dystopian tale of a possible future.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (eurolinguiste) | 22 comments I just finished the first book from the Game of Thrones series. Hopefully going to start reading the rest soon. I recently started reading Robert Jordan's series. I have the first three books and I am just over halfway through the first.

message 5: by John (new)

I'm partway through
After The Ending (The Ending, #1) by Lindsey Fairleigh

and I'm really enjoying it. I am a wee bit fearful that the female protagonists are dragging it bit closer to romance, but every time I worry about that, it marches solidly back to dystopia. Very well written thus far.

message 6: by Karen (last edited Mar 29, 2013 11:40AM) (new)

Karen (escapeartist) | 19 comments I finished The Winter King and really got into it. This is the first of three so I am planning on reading the series. I believe it is identified as The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. Here is my review. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..., Next up is A Plague of Dreams.

message 7: by Angel (new)

Angel Wilkinson (gabismom) | 3 comments I am reading The Summoner by Gail Z. Martin. I really just got started on it, but so far it is really good.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lostunicorn) Just starting Dragon Keeper: Volume One of the Rain Wilds Chronicles by Robin Hobb. It's been a while since I read the Liveship Traders trilogy that comes before it, so trying to get my head back in the game so to speak.

message 10: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 26 comments Still reading it. The kingdom was named after the king who led his people there. The story is really good.

message 11: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 26 comments Oh um Dragons, fantasy, gods, battles.

message 12: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 26 comments Liking it so far, it is fairly easy to follow. Dragons are good.

Can I recommend Dragon Fate and Dragon Blade as well. I read those last year and they are excellent. The second one I read in a couple of days and stayed uo late to finish. They are buy an Indie GR author as well:)

message 13: by John (new)

I'm rereading The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester something I haven't read for 40 years. I'm surprised that not only do I remember a lot of the imagery, I can see some similarities (SOME) in our writing styles. This is scifi but I had to share. its also depressing to know that I read something 40 years ago, and its still better than a lot of things I read today. Has writing diminished over time?
It's a very specific type of story, so its not everyone's cup of tea, but it is almost the definition of raw intense energy.

message 14: by Whitney (last edited Apr 27, 2013 07:32AM) (new)

Whitney | 16 comments John wrote: "I'm rereading The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester something I haven't read for 40 years. I'm surprised that not only do I remember a lot of the imagery, I can see some similarities (SOME) ..."

John, do you really think it's fair to negatively compare current science fiction with one of the best SF books ever written? Kind of like saying play writing has declined because you saw a play last night that wasn't as good as Shakespeare :-)

I probably loaned out at least a half a dozen copies of The Stars My Destination, mostly to people who said they never read science fiction. I don't think any of them ever came back.

P.S. European readers out there may know the book as 'Tiger, Tiger'.

message 15: by John (new)

Whitney wrote: "John, do you really think it's fair to negatively compare current science fiction..."

The brain is a difference engine. It compares things.

message 16: by Karen (last edited Apr 29, 2013 03:54PM) (new)

Karen (escapeartist) | 19 comments Whitney wrote: "John wrote: "I'm rereading The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester something I haven't read for 40 years. I'm surprised that not only do I remember a lot of the imagery, I can see some similar..."I agree, for me, Alfred Bester was and is one the greatest Sci Fi writers ever. Along with PKD, Frederick Pohl and Samuel Delaney they defined the genre in so many ways. Besides, its always best to have your own voice.

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen (escapeartist) | 19 comments I am now reading Days of Blood & Starlight, the sequel to Daughter of Smoke & Bone. So far, so good.

message 18: by John (new)

I am now reading The Hawk and His Boy (The Tormay Trilogy, #1) by Christopher Bunn It's pretty good so far. Its a fantasy like I like to read.

message 19: by John (new)

Adam wrote: "Are you familiar with Thieves' World (Thieves' World, #1) by Robert Lynn Asprin John?"

I'd heard of it, but haven't read it yet. I'll add it to my "want to read"

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (eurolinguiste) | 22 comments Finally started the first Amber book. I'm about halfway through.

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (eurolinguiste) | 22 comments I'm enjoying it. The story is pretty interesting thus far. I like how it starts right away rather than a lengthy introduction. It's kind of cool finding out about their world as the main character does.

message 22: by Adria (new)

Adria | 6 comments Well I have just finished reading The Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. Now, I have switched gears a little and I am not reading the Nightside series by Simon R. Green which is urban fantasy. I just love the fantasy genre whether is traditional or urban.

message 23: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I'm reading Sandman Slim, which is urban fantasy; very gritty. I'm really enjoying it so far.

message 24: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Shannon wrote: "Finally started the first Amber book. I'm about halfway through."

I love the Chronicles of Amber. I've reread them many times over the years.

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (eurolinguiste) | 22 comments Nancy wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Finally started the first Amber book. I'm about halfway through."

I love the Chronicles of Amber. I've reread them many times over the years."

I just started the fifth book last night. I think the fourth was my favorite thus far - the way it ended! I suppose I should have seen that coming.

message 26: by Adria (new)

Adria | 6 comments Paths Not Taken (Nightside #5) by Simon R. Green

message 27: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (eurolinguiste) | 22 comments Mark wrote: "All the talk about Amber caused me to order The Great Book of Amber."

Definitely worth it.

message 28: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 16 comments Shannon wrote: "Mark wrote: "All the talk about Amber caused me to order The Great Book of Amber."

Definitely worth it."

Yay! If this group has helped revive readers of Amber, it has already paid its way :-)

Now I need to break open my copies (Science Fiction Bookclub, 1978. I was 12. Try to imagine how mind blowing these books were to a 12-year old). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chro...

message 29: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Mark wrote: "All the talk about Amber caused me to order The Great Book of Amber."

I had to get a copy for myself, because all my individual copies of the books were falling apart from rereading them so many times.

message 30: by John (new)

just finished and reviewed The Final Warden (Gifts of Vorallon, #1) by Thomas Cardin and The Hawk and His Boy (The Tormay Trilogy, #1) by Christopher Bunn

thoroughly enjoyed both!

message 31: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Cardin | 19 comments I am over halfway through The Bridge at Ardendale by J.W. Kent by J.W. Kent, a fun and bawdy low fantasy. It is making me laugh and smile all the while.

message 32: by Shannon (last edited Jun 25, 2013 11:44AM) (new)

Shannon (eurolinguiste) | 22 comments I know it's not really fantasy, but I'm reading Arsene Lupin.

message 33: by Darren (new)

Darren | 1 comments I'm new to this group. I recently starting taking the bus to work again and am rediscovering my love of reading classic fantasy.

I just recently started reading Roger Zelazny's Amber. I've had it in my library for many years but am just getting around to reading it now.

message 34: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Hattum | 4 comments I am currently reading The Elfstones of Shannara and just finished The Eye Of The World! They are both very good, in my opinion.

message 35: by Adria (new)

Adria | 6 comments Currently reading A Dance of Shadows #4 in the Shadow dance series by David Dalglish

message 36: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Hattum | 4 comments I am reading The Shadow Rising, by Robert Jordan. I very much enjoy this series.