Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Secret History of al Qaeda
This topic is about The Secret History of al Qaeda
Policies & Practices > Two editions, same ISBN, different page number

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Abderrahman | 4 comments The mentioned book has an Arabic edition (القاعدة التنظيم السري). The Arabic edition is combined with the original English book.

However, the Arabic book has a second edition that was published 2009, and the same metadata except Year & Pages.

Should I add a new book then combine it, or is there a way to add editions?

I've read some posts from the past, but I didn't find an answer.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23247 comments Adding the book then combining is creating a new edition. Hope that helps.

message 3: by Abderrahman (last edited Mar 18, 2013 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abderrahman | 4 comments Thanks

Do I type in the title "2nd edition"? How do I indicate that it's another edition, and which?
Also, I get the error that there's already another book with the same ISBN13 (both editions have the same ISBN)

message 4: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments In the Goodreads database each ISBN must be unique. Therefore, you would add your book with the ISBN field blank.

However, what is the number of pages for your book? It seems like your edition may be a reprint, if the only difference is year and pages. (Page counts are often incorrect in the data imports). Reprints, where only the year is different, are not added as separate entries.

message 5: by Abderrahman (last edited Mar 18, 2013 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abderrahman | 4 comments vicki_girl wrote: "In the Goodreads database each ISBN must be unique. Therefore, you would add your book with the ISBN field blank.

However, what is the number of pages for your book? It seems like your edition m..."

It says in the intro and on cover "second edition, revised & expanded". The first edition was 328p, the new one is 397p, 2 chapters were added.

So shall I leave ISBN field empty?

message 6: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Yes, go ahead and add it then with the ISBN empty. I would add "second edition, revised & expanded" to the edition field.

Abderrahman | 4 comments OK done. Thank you =]