The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Help finding a new 'series'

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 9 comments Hi, I've just finished reading the Jack Reacher books and feel a bit sad that it's all over! I was hoping for some suggestions for another good long series of books I can get my teeth into. I've read all of the James Patterson Patricia Cornwell and karin slaughter books and I'm looking for something along these lines... Any suggestions?
Vicky

message 2: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments tess gerritsen, rizzoli and isles series is pretty good although i've read out of series order

message 3: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments oh and i've read the 1st 2 in a peter james series too and will continue to read series

message 4: by Boo (new)

Boo Walker (boowalker) Plum Island by Nelson Demille will start you on the John Corey series. So good! I'm reading the Gabriel Allon books by Daniel Silva now.... more spy novel but still mystery and very entertaining.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Rhian wrote: "tess gerritsen, rizzoli and isles series is pretty good although i've read out of series order"

The Rizzoli and Isles series is great. Not a bad book in the bunch!

message 6: by Jackmeister (new)

Jackmeister | 611 comments Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch is one of the best, as is John Sandford's Prey series featuring Lucas Davenport.
Steve Hamilton has a series with an ex cop in Alex McKnight which is excellent, Stephen J Cannell had an LAPD Detective in Shane Scully in a series of 11 books, which are also excellent. They should keep you busy, lol!

message 7: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Smith (anthonyneilsmith) I would say try Chelsea Cain. Those are really good, a bit like Slaughter.

And I'm a Jo Nesbo superfan. Got to spread the word.

I second the vote for Daniel Silva. Those are addictive.

message 8: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments kathryn the only one i wasn't to keen on was keeping the dead the 7th book i think its called the keepsake in usa

message 9: by A.G. (new)

A.G. (rockinghorse) | 75 comments Vicky wrote: "Hi, I've just finished reading the Jack Reacher books and feel a bit sad that it's all over! I was hoping for some suggestions for another good long series of books I can get my teeth into. I've re..."

message 10: by A.G. (new)

A.G. (rockinghorse) | 75 comments Hello Vicky. Perhaps you would enjoy one of my political thrillers. Two are completed and available on Amazon books. There will be a series of 5 books. WHO'S KILLING ALL THE LAWYERS, is the first book and available in paperback and Kindle. THE JUDAS LIST is number two, (not yet on Kindle.) Number three - IMMINENT DANGER will be released later this summer. Go to my blog aghayes.com for more information and a synopsis on both.
Please let me know what you think.
Sincerely,
A.G.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Rhian wrote: "kathryn the only one i wasn't to keen on was keeping the dead the 7th book i think its called the keepsake in usa"

That was actually the first one that I read before getting the rest of the series. My favorite is Ice Cold. I thought it was really spooky.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Jackmeister wrote: "Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch is one of the best, as is John Sandford's Prey series featuring Lucas Davenport.
Steve Hamilton has a series with an ex cop in Alex McKnight which is excellent, Steph..."

I absolutely love the Lucas Davenport and the Virgil Flowers series. Very good. Can't go wrong with either one.

message 13: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments i loved that too kathryn really quite scary, i think i was disappointed with keeping the dead because the others were so good

message 14: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments has anyone read the kenzie and gennaro series by dennis lehane? i bought one of the books today but i thought it was a stand alone book

message 15: by Jackmeister (new)

Jackmeister | 611 comments Kenzie & Gennaro is a short series of books, but an excellent series, I wished he wrote more of them.

message 16: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments thanks jackmeister, i'll keep this for after i read the other 5 before it then, i may actually read a series in order for a change

message 17: by Jane (new)

Jane Myers | 3 comments Craig Russell and John Connolly.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

How about the Andy Carpenter series by David Rosenfelt. I haven't heard him mentioned in this group but this series is really good. They are mysteries with added humor. The first is Open and Shut Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1) by David Rosenfelt .

message 19: by Adam (new)

Adam | 15 comments Try the accident man by Tom Cain. Very Bourne esq in my opinion with lots of action. Seemed a little like reacher but I've only read the first two reacher books so don't take my word for it :-)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

The John Rain series by Barry Eisler is still one of my favorites.

message 21: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Boncompagni | 21 comments I recommend Lisa Gardner's Detective DD Warren Series. Read The Neighbor. It will get you hooked!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Archer Mayor's Joe Gunther's series is a good one also.

message 23: by Phil (new)

Phil | 2 comments Harry Bouch all the way. Great series...

message 24: by Phil (new)

Phil | 2 comments Sorry, Bosch.

message 25: by Joan (new)

Joan | 94 comments I like all those mentioned, but also Vince Flynn. His are very good.

Joan K. Maze
writing as J. K. Maze

message 26: by Joan (new)

Joan | 94 comments How about trying my new book, The Hierophant, written under the name J. K. Maze. It's the first one in a police thriller series set in the city where I live. The second one, The Mercenary is in progress and I hope to have it available by this fall.

Joan

message 27: by Brian (new)

Brian January (brianjanuary) | 40 comments Have you tried Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Maximum RIDE

message 29: by ipsit (last edited Apr 20, 2013 08:30PM) (new)

ipsit (ipsit_13) Kiss Me, Judas by Will Christopher Baer , Penny Dreadful by Will Christopher Baer and Hell's Half Acre by Will Christopher Baer by Will Christopher Baer

I started reading kiss me,judas recently and devastating beauty of baer's prose is one of the greatest reading experiences of my life.Dark, rich, sexy, powerful, captivating, and visceral..one helluva of a ride which left me a lot to look forward to the other two..highly recommended.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Ian Rankin's Rebus series is superb. Rankin won an Edgar several years ago.

A new series I really like is Stevens and Windermere by Owen Laukkanen. There are only two books in it right now but they are entertaining.

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen Blood (jen_blood) | 13 comments Rhian wrote: "has anyone read the kenzie and gennaro series by dennis lehane? i bought one of the books today but i thought it was a stand alone book"

I'm a huge Kenzie/Gennaro fan -- there are actually six in the series, and I recommend every one of them highly. Pretty gritty stuff at times, but Lehane's writing is top notch and the relationship between Patrick and Angie is one of my favorites.

message 32: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2344 comments Has anyone suggested Jonathon King's Max Freeman series starting with The Blue Edge Of Midnight?

message 33: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Michael Robotham has a great series that follows psychologist, Joseph O'Loughlin. I'd definitely recommend these.

message 34: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Michael Robotham has a great series that follows psychologist, Joseph O'Loughlin. I'd definitely recommend these.

message 35: by Dieter (new)

Dieter Lots of Top Suggestions

message 36: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments thsnks jen i'm gonna get the whole series before i start i really need a new series to read i've almost finished karin slaughters grant county series even tho i've read it in a totally random order!

message 37: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Hogue (nanhogue) | 71 comments I've read two of the Rachel Christie books, a series by Sabena Stone, GR author, and have two more on my Kindle to read. Love them!

message 38: by Jen (new)

Jen Blood (jen_blood) | 13 comments Rhian wrote: "thsnks jen i'm gonna get the whole series before i start i really need a new series to read i've almost finished karin slaughters grant county series even tho i've read it in a totally random order!"

Excellent, Rhian -- glad I could help! The other one I just started (and read the first three books in a week) is Meg Gardiner's Evan Delaney series. Like Lehane, some of it can be pretty gritty, but I absolutely love the characters, the action is non-stop, and there's a wonderfully complex, sexy romance between the main character and her paraplegic boyfriend. One of the best series I've read in a very long time!

message 39: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments i think i may have read one of that series i'll definatly take a look at them, i also read tess gerritsens rizzoli and isles series although very much out of order (as usual) ;-)

message 40: by C. (new)

C. Stepp | 36 comments How about a new series- still in progress. The first two are available now. Walking Backwards and Two Thursdays
Both books feature private investigator Hitchcock Brown and are set in Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm currently writing the third installment in this series. It will be called "Deadbolt" and I hope to publish it before the end of this year.

message 41: by Pcdoctorswr (new)

Pcdoctorswr | 35 comments Currently in the middle of two different series: Covert-one by Robert Ludlum, just finished book 5 of 10. And Night Soldiers by Alan Furst, just finished book 5 of 12.

What would you recommend for next series to start?
1. Jack Reacher by Lee Child
2. Cotton Malone by Steve Berry
3. Gabriel Allon by Daniel Silva

I will eventually read all anyway. I will start at the first book in the series and read in order.

message 42: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2344 comments Reacher!

message 43: by Casey (new)

Casey | 11 comments Joe Pickett by C.J. Box
Harry Bosch by Michael Connolly
Frank Behr by David Levien (only 3 so far but excellent)

message 44: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments One of my favorite 'newer' series is the Sheriff Longmier series by Craig Johnson set in Wyoming. Good characters and absolutely accurate as far as the region and the people/attitudes go, with just a touch of Native American mysticism in some of them.

Series starts with The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire, #1) by Craig Johnson

message 45: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments i only read a few jack reacher books and that was enough i found them too similar

message 46: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 179 comments I have tried the majority already mentioned above

Quintin Jardine - Bob Skinner series

message 47: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Crowe | 24 comments I am definitely in Barry Eisler's corner, try Inside Out. Scary. Also David Ellis. Just finished his Breach of Trust.
Which leads me to the Norwegian author Thomas Enger. I Burned through his novel Burned and have ordered his second novel Pierced.

message 48: by Richard David (new)

Richard David Bach (richarddavidbach) | 15 comments Try my new COMMON DENOMINATOR series of romantic thrillers featuring recovering lawyer Raam Commoner and smart, feisty private investigator Kayman Karl as they pursue a serial killer stalking the decks of luxury cruise liners in COMMON ENEMY, and search for a deadly manuscript in COMMON GROUND. Both available to download to your Kindle, Nook, IPad or other e-reader from Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Smashwords and all the usual outlets ... or at my website www.richarddavidbach.com. Richard David BachCommon Enemy The third book ... COMMON PLACE ... will be out in July.

message 49: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Crowe | 24 comments My latest mystery/thriller novel A Lack of Political Will about the inhumane trafficking of Blood Diamonds is now released. Available on Amazon Kindle.
See this and other books on my website www.yvonnecrowe.com

message 50: by C. (new)

C. Stepp | 36 comments The ongoing adventures of Hitchcock Brown. Walking Backwards and Two Thursdays The third (and most likely final) installment "Deadbolt" should be published soon.

« previous 1