Gig Harbor AP Language reads Dead Man Walking discussion

Period 4: Chapters 4 and 5: Question 4

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 8 comments What do you think of Pat’s last words? How did they add to the story? What appeal did they affect?

Remember that you have to answer 2 questions for credit for our lesson in addition to the responses required by Mrs. Gilbert.

message 2: by Ellen (last edited Apr 01, 2009 10:12PM) (new)

Ellen | 3 comments Pat's last words, confessing his love for Sister Helen Prejean, added to the story by Pat finally expressing some kind of feeling other than sadness. At first, when I read what Pat had said I was surprised because he just suddenly put what he was feeling just out there. After I thought about it though, if I were in his position, I would want the one person who has provided as much help and comfort for a period of time to know how I felt. I mean these two have talked about everything so there is no surprise that this type of connection between the two developed. The appeal these last words affected was pathos because it not only is playing with the characters emotions but the reader’s emotions as well. When I read his words, I could understand how he could feel like this and why he would choose those words as his last words. They gave a lasting effect. Prejean will never forget those words nor will she forget that very moment Pat said them.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 5 comments I thought Pat's last words added a lot of emotion to the story. He confessed his true feelings to Prejean, and as Ellen said it was emotion beyond sadness which made the story more complex. He loved Prejean because she cared for him and was really all he had during his last days. She was pretty much the only one all his life who ever cared about what happened to him. This definitely appealed to pathos because it reveals the relationship and emotions between Prejean and Pat. It also appeals to the reader's emotions as well becuase you can understand how they are feeling.

message 4: by Myke (new)

Myke (SarahPalin) | 22 comments I think Prejean used Pat's last words as a way to demonstrate that, in Prejean's eyes at least, he was redeemed.

Earlier in the book, Prejean included dialogue in which Pat explained he had never actually, truly loved anyone. This, I think, was used as a symbol of his sin... but when Pat said "I love you" to Prejean, it was as though he was absolved, Prejean seems to say. He was able to experience true, healthy love. He was redeemed and ready to die, ready to be judged. (That's what I think Prejean was trying to do... I am not saying that I agree with what I think her assertions are).