Technicalities discussion

Inner Earth > Barracks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

GothamsReckoning (baneofgotham) | 203 comments Mod
Used as living quarters for Versers and those not tolerated by high society

Kaiden paced the barracks, his mind was fighting with itself again which in turn gave him headaches. So he started humming to himself. He combed his fingers through his hair and sighed.
"Why won't you leave me alone?!" he shouted to the ceiling.

Kaiden opened his eyes. He had fallen asleep so he figured he'd better walk around outside again to keep himself moving.

He chuckled, "You can tell me the truth i don't mind. I know it's a train wreck... But it's all I've got." There were beds pushed to the walls so the floor was exposed. An easel and a scarce amount of paint and brushes along with canvas's; finished and not. Near the most recently used bed was a lamp plugged into a dusty, crank generator, and on the bed say paper, broken bits if pencil, and a violin with its bow. It looked as though someone had been on a good many rampages through the rundown establishment.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) "Well, it's better than hell. At least there will be enough bed for me, I like to spread out," Maggie joked, setting her bag on one of the beds that was actually made. She moved over to the painting supplies. "Are you a painter?"

He blushed a bit and rubbed the back if his neck, "Um a little bit," he said gesturing to the paintings stacked next to the wall.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie carefully went through them, being as careful as ever. They were a little crazy, but then again, weren't all the greats a little crazy? She couldn't believe hiss skill though. "These are great. I could never do this. I'm a writer, a poet mainly, though half of what I write is rubbish."

He looked down at his feet, "It's nothing, when i lose it a bit i paint or play," he said as he gestured to the violin.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) "Play what?" Maggie asked, not a trace of sarcasm in her voice for once in her life. She looked over all his stuff. He seemed sane to her. If a little...out there to say the least.

message 10: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He laughed and sat on the floor, he leaned back and lay down. "I like the floor. Can't really trust chairs or anything.... They could leave... But the floor it'll always be there." He said staring at the ceiling.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie looked at him, sitting on the edge of the closest bed, watching him. "I've never had a chair leave me. I've had friends leave me...family leave me...the world I knew leave me..." she sighed. "Okay, pity party over. Do you want some sweets, I managed to snag some when I was topside."

message 12: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He smiled, "watcha got? I got some stuffi snagged yesterday

message 13: by Megan (last edited Apr 02, 2013 08:29AM) (new)

Megan (nightrunner) "Chocolate, peanut butter. Fresh apples. Oh, and I'm got some marshmallow and graham crackers. We could make a fire and do smores." Maggie replied, pulling stuff from her back. Five finger discount, always the best way to go.

message 14: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He sat up and walked to his bed. He reached under his pillow and grabbed a small box of matches. "If you look behind you there should be scrap wood from a chair that I.... That um broke.."

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie smiled at the implication. Some things had... um, broken around her too. Such as her wall clock last week, that one had decided to try and fly across the room by itself and connected quite forcefully with the opposite wall. She smiled, grabbing the wood and the food. It would be nice sharing this with someone, and she liked Kaiden, he was like her, misunderstood.

((will you finish your character for my bottleneck group if you have the time? No rush, just saying.))

message 16: by GothamsReckoning (new)

((I was going to do that last night! Agh! That's what I was forgetting.... Ill go for it on the bus.))

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) ((okay, thanks!!))

message 18: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He started the fire with the matches. As he went to blow out the match, it burnt his finger. He hissed and dropped it, "Son of a b......!!!!"

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie glanced over at him, her eyebrows knitted as she carefully added some dry leaves and straw to the fire to really get it going. "Next time let me start it. I've got a cigarette lighter in my bag that my mom left around." She backed away as the fire took to the wood, sparking a bit. "There we go. She pulled the smores supplies out of her bag and laid them out, picking a long stick to use as a skewer and tossing and apple into the fire, glancing down at her watch, if she gave it to minutes it should be perfect.

message 20: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He grabbed a skewer, "I am capable of lighting a fire thank you." He said sounding like a defensive child. He beckoned for a marshmallow, and sat on the ground.

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie tossed him on, using her skewer to pull the nicely caramelized apple from the fire, using a pic of cloth and her pocket knife to peel the skin off. She cut a piece off, offering it out to him. "You want some? It's really good if you've never had it. Super sweet."

message 22: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He looked at it and took the offering, "D..mn!!! That's good."

message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie smiled. "My grandma showed me how to do it, before she was forced to go topside. She was sick and they were the only ones who could help her. She died anyway, a year later. I like to think she sweetens the apples for me."

message 24: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He smiled, "That's a nice thought." He said than he furrowed his eyebrows as if someone were talking to him. Jerked his head around so he could see where it was coming from. When he saw no one he held his ears closed with his hands and dropped to the floor. Slowly rocking back and forth, he sang to himself, in german. Softly at first... Than louder,
"Am Brunnen vor dem Tore,
Da steht ein Lindenbaum.
Ich träumt in seinem Schatten
So manchen süßen Traum.
Ich schnitt in seine Rinde
so manches liebe Wort;
Es zog in Freud und Leide
Zu ihm mich immerfort.
Ich mußt auch heute wandern
Vorbei in tiefer Nacht,
Da hab ich noch im Dunkel
Die Augen zugemacht;
Und seine Zweige rauschten,
Als riefen sie mir zu:
"Komm her zu mir, Geselle,
Hier findst du deine Ruh.
Die kalten Winde bliesen
Mir grad ins Angesicht,
Der Hut flog mir vom Kopfe
Ich wendete mich nicht.
Nun bin ich manche Stunde
Entfernt von jenem Ort,
Und immer hör ich's rauschen:
"Du fändest Ruhe dort.""

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) ((um... translation?))

Maggie just watched him, more then a little surprised, her hand shaking a little as she finished roasting a marshmallow, ignoring him as she started making a smore. She had no clue what to do.

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) ((psst, bottleneck character^.^))

message 27: by GothamsReckoning (new)

((Aaaaaaah))

message 28: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He eventually quieted down... And stood awkwardly trying not to fall back over. He mumbled to Maggie, "Im gonna go.... for a walk... ya..." He slowly walked out the door mumbling to himself, every once in a while an audible "she" or "leave her alone" was heard as he walked out he door.

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie swallowed hard, watching him go, her eyes saddening as she watched him go. She wondered if this was all from being left on his own to long. If it was she would probably start doing it soon too.

message 30: by GothamsReckoning (new)

Kaiden walked back in slowly at first. He hated having his fits in front of people but he couldn't really control it.

message 31: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie looked up from where she sat. She had almost fallen asleep waiting for him, on hand wrapped instinctively around her bag. "you're back?" she asked groggily.

message 32: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He looked up and smirked, "yuuuuuup. Miss me?" He asked with a nervous chuckle. He walked automatically to his bed and flopped down.

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) She smiled a little, tucking her hair behind her ear. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes. "Kind of. I was worried about you."

message 34: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He blushed and looked down. Shrugging he replied, "Im fine, thanks. It's kind of a normal thing but ill live..." He faded off at the last word. He put his hands behind his head as he lay there. It was weird, living with another person... It hasn't been this way for so long... And she was really pretty... get a hold of yourself Kaiden.... You're a freak... Like she'd ever feel the same... he thought to himself, and sighed.

message 35: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie stood up, stretching. She went over to sit across from him, sitting on one of the other bunks indian style. "Where did you go?" she asked softly. She wasn't exactly sure if she should be asking questions, but she really was concerned about him. She even liked him a little.

message 36: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He shifted uncomfortably.... "Uuum, down south.." He chuckled, "to the underground... There's ruins down there from before the whole alien/outsider controversy... It's pretty cool I guess." He explained while sitting up.

message 37: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) "Cool. I don't think I've ever been down there. You'll have to show me some time. You will, won't you?" she asked him, "Show me? I want to see what you see. You seem really smart."

message 38: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He smiled at her response, "Not smart, just crazy." He scoffed. "Ill take you sometime if you want."

message 39: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) ((oops, lol, never say the new comment))

"You're not crazy. You're coping there's a difference. We all do what we can, you know?" she said softly, thinking off all the things she would do to be able to stay away from her home. She reached out to lat her hand gently over his own. "Trust me when I say I've seen crazy, and you're far from."

message 40: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He slowly looked up... A ghost of a smile.... His real smile... On his lips.
"There are different types of crazy.... I'm just 7 years into it and I know how to figure things out.... That's all." He put his fingers around her hand, slightly smaller in his. And leaned on to give her a hug. It was awkward because he'd never done it before... Been hugged or vice versa. But he smiled none the less. He liked her...

message 41: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie wrapped her arms tentatively around him, leaning her head on his shoulder and sighing. She knew she should pull away, or at least tell him to hug her around her waist, not her neck, but she didn't feel like it. She felt safe in his arms, safer than she had felt ever before.

message 42: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He felt her stiffen up a little... So he gently maneuvered his arms around her waist..... Tensing up when one touches your neck means signs of beating. And the though of someone beating her... To be blunt pissed him off. But he didn't show it. He just sat there and let her lay on his shoulder while holding her

message 43: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) "Kaiden, what happened to your family?" she asked him softly, scared the question would bring out a bad reaction in him. She looked up at him, her eyes blinking innocently, hoping he couldn't see the little signs of tension there, glad his arms were where they were. They weren't touching the bruises.

message 44: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He let go of her and stood up... Walking away slowly to his bed. He ran his fingers through his hair as his eyes stung as Tears started to form.

message 45: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie swallowed hard, "Kadien, I'm sorry, you don't have to talk about it," Maggie told him, standing up, watching him, her body wound tight with stress. She hadn't meant to upset him. "Kaiden?"

message 46: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He turned to her, and swallowed the sob down
not now, not in front of her
"I'm sorry.... Ill tell you later. Just not right now. Not today..."

message 47: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie sat back down, pulling her knees in to her chest, wrapping her arms around them. She screwed everything up, didn't she? "Okay, do you want to talk or something?" she asked softly, hoping she hadn't just ruined any chance they had at friendship, or at...something more.

message 48: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He looked at her, cocking his head as she hugged herself. He smiled, she cares.....
Wiping his face, he reached in his back pocket and pulled out his holo-screen. It was a tiny rectangle of fiber glAss, a high tech cellular phone of you will. He had found it once when he went topside.... It kept charge with motion and he walked everywhere. Those spoiled topsideers got everything.
He checked something on it them slid it back up.
"We got 3 hours what you wanna do?"

message 49: by Megan (new)

Megan (nightrunner) Maggie shrugged, looking up at him, at the thing he was messing with. She had seen them before, had snagged on once, but had broken it near a week later when she almost got caught. She had taken a lot of trips up, had thought about staying there more than once. she always came back though. "What should we do?"

message 50: by GothamsReckoning (new)

He chuckled.... "The question is what can't we do? Anything illegal for verser's you've never done before? I garuntee that I've done everything."

« previous 1