Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass question

Why is a Raven like a writing desk??
Laura Wattie Laura Mar 17, 2013 02:15PM
So why do you think that the Mad Hatter asks this question and why is a Raven like a writing desk?!

There is an author's note at the beginning of my copy of this book and it says:

"Enquiries have been so often addressed to me, as to whether any answer to the Hatter's riddle (see p.71) can be imagined, that I may as well put on record here what seems to me to be a fairly appropriate answer viz. 'Because it can produce a few notes, though they are very flat; and itis nevar put with the wrong end in front!' This however, is merely an afterthought: the Riddle, as originally invented, had no answer at all."

Hope this is helpful :)

deleted member Mar 20, 2013 08:32AM   2 votes
Because Edgar Allen Poe wrote on Both. :)

I've various answers, but that's my favorite.

my favourite is Aldous Huxley thought, "Because there is a 'b' in both and an 'n' in neither." is so strange :)

because they both have long black quills?

Should be "How..."

Christopher It should be, but it is not; the Mad Hatter words it with "why" in the original text. ...more
Feb 26, 2014 12:44PM · flag

Feliks (last edited Mar 17, 2013 07:14PM ) Mar 17, 2013 06:11PM   0 votes
Both hide precious treasures in their 'woods'--often turning out to be worthless junk! :)

The typical answer is that "Poe wrote on both" though I don't think the riddle was meant to have one.

Thanks, Chloe! That is very cool, and something I don't remember seeing before. :-)

I don't think the riddle was supposed to have an answer at all. At least that's what I've always thought.

I'm not sure actually.Maybe the creators made him say that,but without an answer,because the creators couldn't think of an answer.Sorry if I bored you guys or didn't say a direct answer.What do you guys think of my message?

Chaya Yes, I think so
Aug 19, 2014 09:47PM