r/books discussion

Introductions > Hello, I'm Ted

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ted (new)

Ted | 4 comments My reading consists mostly of audiobooks. I like to listen while traveling or doing chores around the house. I comment frequently on /r/audiobooks, less often to /r/books or /r/literature.

Audiobook fans have dual loyalties, both to authors and to favorite readers. This sometimes leads me to pick up a book I wouldn't otherwise, just to enjoy a voice I like. James Marsters, Elizabeth Klett, Stephen Briggs and Davina Porter are among my favorite readers.

The field has expanded so greatly in the last several years that I've got my choice of books and genres these days. I am currently listening to a thriller,
Daemon; just finished Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of his Time; and looking forward to Uncle Fred in the Springtime.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Hello and welcome! I've never been into the audio book thing but I like the idea of it for a long drive. How long does it take to listen to an average sized book?

message 3: by Ted (last edited Mar 17, 2013 05:51PM) (new)

Ted | 4 comments Ashley wrote: "Hello and welcome! I've never been into the audio book thing but I like the idea of it for a long drive. How long does it take to listen to an average sized book?"

Goodreads doesn't generally list the running time for audiobooks, but specialty sites such as Audible will. I'm not sure what average is, so let me give examples off my reading list:

Longitude is 192 pages, and runs a little over four hours.
Daemon is 432 pages and runs over 16 hours.

So vaguely speaking, a novel is a couple days' listening time, if you are driving most of the day.

I started listening to audiobooks on road trips, then continued the habit when I had a long commute. I really like reclaiming the time.

message 4: by Rose, Mod (new)

Rose (rtrinh) | 153 comments Mod
I listen to audiobooks too sometimes! I'm a commuter and do a lot of walking... walking with a book in hand gets tricky, so listening to a story has become a thankful option. Admittedly, I enjoy reading a physical copy as I find I enjoy imagining what my characters sound like as opposed to listening to someone try and sound like the characters...

message 5: by Ted (new)

Ted | 4 comments Rosanna wrote: "I listen to audiobooks too sometimes! I'm a commuter and do a lot of walking... walking with a book in hand gets tricky, so listening to a story has become a thankful option. Admittedly, I enjoy re..."

I enjoy reading too, of course. There is a special comfort to be found in holding a book, settling into a favorite spot and letting the world fade away.

Listening to an audiobook is a different experience. A good reader makes it magical too, providing enough 'voice' for the characters that I forget that I'm hearing one man or one woman.

I'm glad to hear you can get more out of your commute time. I listen while walking too. Do you lose track of the scenery, when you have a book playing?