Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Computers vs. Brains (thank you Olivia Judson, again)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Will machines really soon be able to out-think humans?

http://judson.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This an interesting question. I guess it depends on how you define "thinking" and if "thinking" in that definition can be multi-faceted.

(I just clicked for the Olivia Judson picture, really)

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments someday someone will program a computer to play chess

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Kevin the Barbarian wrote: "someday someone will program a computer to play chess"

You should change your name to Kevin the Oracle.

message 5: by Matthieu (last edited Apr 01, 2009 08:53AM) (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I miss Deep Blue, Kevin.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "Kevin the Barbarian wrote: "someday someone will program a computer to play chess"

You should change your name to Kevin the Oracle.

"

Brilliant

message 7: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Very true, RA. I think as far as something like chess which consists of a finite number of possibilites based on a choice then, yes, computers have got us beat. As far as being able to make the logical leaps and agile thought connections between unrelated things, the computer can not match up to the human brain. Such a thing would be 50-100 years away if it is even possible, in my opinion...

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah, i also predict communication devices without wires that flip open and connect you with other people around the world.

(was it weird how much the Star Trek communicators looked like cell phones of today?)

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) "Computer." Yes Captain?

"Give Kevin a pat on the head." Yes, Capatin.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.