r/books discussion

Book-Related Discussion > Do you get so caught up reading that you read somewhere you shouldn't?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) I got so into one of my books that I read the last few chapters at work! If I had been caught I probably would have got a talking-to but I didn't so all is well! How about you all?

message 2: by Jared (new)

Jared Barcelos I also read at work, but luckily I have a cubicle in a long hallway so I can hear the echo of footsteps as anyone approaches. I bookmark my page as quickly as possible, throw the book in a drawer, and then shuffle paperwork or pretend to type until the coast is clear.

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Mar 17, 2013 03:44PM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Jared wrote: "I also read at work, but luckily I have a cubicle in a long hallway so I can hear the echo of footsteps as anyone approaches. I bookmark my page as quickly as possible, throw the book in a drawer,..."

I couldn't help but think of the Austin Powers meme, "I too like to live dangerously."

message 4: by Eli (new)

Eli | 7 comments I have been reading books at school a lot as of lately. Specifically during AP Calculus lectures. I have learned nothing for this last chapter. The book was worth it tho~

message 5: by Rose, Mod (new)

Rose (rtrinh) | 153 comments Mod
I can't say I've been reading in places where I shouldn't be... but I certainly have a habit of reading in places where time is of utmost important. I don't know how many times I've narrowly missed my bus or train because I was too caught up with my characters!

message 6: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new)

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 346 comments Mod
I use to read a lot in hs. I got lectured a few times. I wouldn't say I read somewhere I shouldn't be, but where most people usually don't read. I will read while I wait in line. Read while I push the cart in the grocery store (where someone else was picking the items and I was in charge of the cart) Read in the car all the time as a passenger, read at family events, where my parents would shoot me looks, but there was nothing for me to do.

And yes, I would read in the bathroom. Opps. Bathroom hogger here haha.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark Hebden (unisonlibrarian) | 5 comments Yes, sometimes just walking down the street - I have discovered that it is possible to lose a fight with a lamp post.

message 8: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silviaborlea) | 4 comments Many times in high school during class. My teachers would usually let me do it though.

message 9: by Lee (new)

Lee Never somewhere I shouldn't, but I do read a lot on campus in between classes. Most days I've at least a one hour break and during those times if my friends are going to their class I'll just find a nice spot and sit down to read. I've found a few surprisingly nice, comfortable, and quiet spots around to make use of :)