The Lord of the Rings The Lord of the Rings discussion

Who was your favorite Hobbit in these books?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lótë (Iris) (new)

Lótë (Iris) Pippin? Merry? Frodo? Sam?
Who is the Hobbit you fell in love with in these books?

Marina Latcko In my opinion, Sam is the most decent hobbit of all the four. Decent in their sense of word :) and by his choices.

Sophie Sam was the most decent and polite and ethical, but I love Pippin and Merry- the two always getting in trouble, setting off giant dragon fireworks... *sigh*

Marina Latcko Sophie wrote: "Sam was the most decent and polite and ethical, but I love Pippin and Merry- the two always getting in trouble, setting off giant dragon fireworks... *sigh*"

So here is a conflict of sense and sensibility. My initial choice (when first I read the book like 20 years ago) was Frodo, of course, but I was disgusted by his heart corruption, and Sam he was always near, protective, asking nothing in return, understanding everything, and being able to make the final choice, making him the real hero.
And yes, these guys Pippin and Merry are absolutely lovable creatures - kids gradually transforming into responsible heroes as well. That's their coming-of-age story. :)

message 5: by Amina (last edited Mar 17, 2013 10:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amina Sam, no doubt about SAM! He is my favorite character in the book as well as one of my favorite beyond even literature encompassing all fictional characters I have come to know.

Shawn Sam was the true hero to me. He never wavered.

Annemarie Donahue Sam is the real hero of this series, and aside from that he's easily the best character. He's centered, down-to-earth, and just a good person.
Meanwhile if I was going to BE a hobbit, I guess Rosie Cotton. Why is it no girls went on the adventure? That sucks.

Zora Merry. I suspect if hobbits had IQ tests, he would have gotten the highest score; I like smart people.

Melissa Zora wrote: "Merry. I suspect if hobbits had IQ tests, he would have gotten the highest score; I like smart people."

I agree, I also think he got gypped when the movies came out

johanna Lótë (Iris) wrote: "Pippin? Merry? Frodo? Sam?
Who is the Hobbit you fell in love with in these books?"

Wait, we have to choose out of the four? Darn.
After Bilbo, then ... Pippin :)

Martine Pippin!!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Sam was the best, but I've always thought that Merry and Pippin were hilarious!

Hannah Samwise Gamgee. He is completely loyal and is even unaffected by the power of the Ring. When given a job to do he saw it through.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 01, 2013 08:43AM) (new)

I agree Samwise was the true hero - he never questioned his identity or his dedication to Frodo. even when he had the ring on his finger, it was easy to give it back because he had a true heart. Frodo became weak and was taken over by the Ring, but he was good to offer to destroy it. I loved Merry because he was most intelligent - Theoden treated him like a son and Merry stabbed the Lord of the Nazgul to save Eowyn.

Hannah Each hobbit has his own qualities that contributed to the end result.

brooke1994 Sam's my favorite in the books and the movies

Jeske Sam in the books, I like his language style
Pippin in the movies, because of his Scottish(?) accent

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin Hannah wrote: "Samwise Gamgee. He is completely loyal and is even unaffected by the power of the Ring. When given a job to do he saw it through."
Agreed! Samwise's loyalty and courage made him the hero of the book for me!

Kristen First time reading it Frodo was my favorite. The second time I read it Sam was my favorite. They're all great though in their own little ways.

Siddhartha Lótë (Iris) wrote: "Pippin? Merry? Frodo? Sam?
Who is the Hobbit you fell in love with in these books?"

Samwise Gamjee! (My hobbit sense speaking!)

Voldemort I love all the hobbits. Sam is truly remarkable, always standing up for Frodo and helping him until the end. However, I must say that I like Pippin the most. Merry also. Oh, I can't decide. They are all my favorite characters.

message 22: by Hiro (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hiro Hamada Ha, Frodo. I like all the hobbits though.

Himika Chakraborty I hate it how people always blame frodo about that corruption thing!It was the power of the ring,frodo is not to blame!It is a wonder that this naive hobbit actually did not succumb to its temptation before reaching mount doom,where boromir and even galadriel showed weakness towards it.Sam is great of course,and merry and pippin are two of my personal favourite characters,but it is for frodo whom i feel the most sympathy.

Kelly Brigid ♡ Sam. He was so loyal to Frodo. :)

Magdalena Houška Sam is a character who never questioned his cause and never gave up. He is worthy of admiration. However, what we tend to forget is the weight of the Ring, that it has its own will and it wants to get back to Sauron. Frodo thus often seems spirit absent, but that's only because he is the bearer of the heaviest burdain, the Ring itself. So I'd say Frodo and Sam are both heroes.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Pippin is very interesting in my opinion, and I admire Sam.

Bethany I love them all, Mary and Pippin are just so mischievous that I love them, then you have Frodo carrying this heavy burden around his neck the whole time but he refuses to let anyone else carry it because he doesn't want them to be affected by it's power and he knows it's his mission and he must be the one to do it and then there's Sam who's just so kind, caring and thoughtful who's like the 'mum' of the group.