Beyond Reality discussion

Goodreads tips > Adding/rating books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Our previous BOTMs have now been added to the bookshelf!

If you would like to add these books to your own bookshelf, just scan through the group shelf. For easier browsing, you can use the categories listed on the left side.

Once the book is added, you can then rate and review it.

message 2: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Another way to add books to your bookshelf is to click through the profiles of other members of the group. There's an option to "compare books", which shows you which books you share. Then you can scan through the rest of that member's books to see if you've read anything else. And of course, if you share a lot of books with someone, you can always send them a friend request. Once you're friends, you'll get updates showing which books your friends are reading/rating/reviewing.

(By the way... if you're new to GoodReads and adding friends, you might get a few really big emails showing a list of the books your friends added to their shelves. Don't worry about this --- it will slow down once everyone gets settled in.)

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Yes, I'll apologise here for the emails you might be getting from me this week as I slowly add my books - most of the time I'm remembering to click the Add to my Update Feed field off - which I think prevents the email thingy if you're adding the books manually, one by one (painfully, slowly and frustratingly!) :)

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I started here over a year ago. My book-adding strategy has been to add and review every book I've read since I got here. If a discussion comes up about a book I've read before 2008 or I see a review of something I read a long time ago, I just give it a star rating and it gets added to my read shelf. For those books, I don't usually bother putting them on any categorized shelves.

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3320 comments Mod
I am not importing the 2000+ books that I own. I imported my "read" list from bibliphil, about 125 books, I think. Some wouldn't import, and then I will update this list as I read more books or come across books I've read in the past.

I'm not much for writing reviews... maybe that will change.

message 6: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments When I first joined GoodReads about a year ago, I only added the books as I read them and only rated them. However, as I met more and more people through book clubs and groups, I read more and more reviews written by ordinary people just like me. So, I took the plunge.

In conjunction with reducing books on my limited physical book shelves, I inventoried every book in my house. I manually added them to GoodReads (because I had no other digital version of my inventory to import). As I added them, I decided whether I should keep it, trade it or offer it up for mooching. (Visit http://www.bookmooch.com for more information).

I wrote some short (probably bad) reviews of my all-time favorites as I had time. I write reviews for all the books I read now. It's gratifying when my GoodReads friends read them, like them and comment on them. It's what I've always wanted to do in "real life" but could never find the kindred reading spirits living near me! :)

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jon wrote: "I wrote some short (probably bad) reviews of my all-time favorites as I had time. I write reviews for all the books I read now. It's gratifying when my GoodReads friends read them, like them and comment on them..."

You write great reviews, Jon! I love to read and vote for friends' reviews. Even a brief sentence or two is helpful whenever I'm looking for new books to read.

message 8: by Carolyn (last edited Apr 03, 2009 09:55AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) moved to other thread