Books Dealing with Addiction discussion

Recommend a book dealing with addiction

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Hutcheson (GraceAdams) | 1 comments Mod
I've read all the Twelve-Step literature on addiction, and I've read many of the experts. What are some lesser-known books dealing with this topic?

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe | 3 comments Have you read the Joe McQ books? They deal with sponsorship and sponseeship (if you will) and are quite good. If you are interested in memoirs, Augusten Burroughs' 'Dry' is very good. Though it doesn't deal specifically with addiction, 'Radical Acceptance' by Tara Brach would be valuable for anyone in recovery. Just a few off the top of my head.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wollenburg | 1 comments If you're interested in memoir, my book, CRYSTAL CLEAN, is a best seller on Amazon, and is getting great reviews.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex I recommend Steps of Transformation by Webber. It's great!

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 6 comments The House of Sand and Fog

message 7: by Joe (new)

Joe | 3 comments Infinite Jest. Just finished it. Wow.

message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven Kassels | 5 comments Hi Sandi,

I am an MD/author committed to increasing awareness about the disease of addiction and trying to change hearts and minds. In order to reach a wider audience I wrote "Addiction on Trial: Tragedy in Downeast Maine," as a fiction based upon my years of experiences practicing medicine. All info is on my website if you are interested. Addiction on Trial Tragedy in Downeast Maine by 9781491825303

Lola LaLaLaLola | 16 comments I just read Little Girl Lost not that long ago and it was an interesting alternate take on addiction. Very dark and triggering though.

Little Girl Lost

message 10: by Steven (new)

Steven Kassels | 5 comments Lola wrote: "I just read Little Girl Lost not that long ago and it was an interesting alternate take on addiction. Very dark and triggering though.

Little Girl Lost"

Sandi wrote: "I've read all the Twelve-Step literature on addiction, and I've read many of the experts. What are some lesser-known books dealing with this topic?"

Please consider my novel " Addiction on Trial". I am an Addiction Doctor and Author and trying to educate through a unique method. You also may enjoy my web site blogs:
http://addictionontrial.com/heroin-ep...
Enjoy and Thanks, Steven Kassels, MD

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark Davis (inklingmusic) | 1 comments This/my book is about addiction and how my religious beliefs were tied into it: http://www.amazon.com/God-In-Chains-B...

Thanks,
Mark

message 12: by Steven (new)

Steven Kassels | 5 comments Keep an eye out for Patrick Kennedy's memoir about addiction. It should be coming out soon. Please check out my blogs on addiction at addictionontrial.com hoping that Fiction with a Message based on medical and legal truths will change hearts and minds about addiction. Happy 4th of July!

message 13: by Christa (new)

Christa (lexaslove) Addicted Notes from the Belly of the Beast by Lorna Crozier Addicted: Notes from the Belly of the Beast has short, true stories from a variety of famous authors who have struggled with addiction to alcohol, heroin, cocaine, and other drugs. It's amazing. Each writer has a distinct style, but all of them grapple with their pain in a very powerful way.

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven Kassels | 5 comments Great suggestion. Posting blogs about heroin addiction with excerpts from www.addictionontrial.com
Would love to hear what you think. Steve

message 15: by Steven (new)

Steven Kassels | 5 comments Thanks for your interest. The book is written as a murder mystery, but the "murder" if it really is a murder, is the minor aspect of the book. Asan Addiction Doctor for many years, I realized that most folks had a misunderstanding of addiction and had stereotyped all "addicts" as "bad" people. The book focuses on the struggles of an illness and exposes characters with addiction as who they really are -just like everyone else - with feelings and compassion, etc. Did Jimmy really murder Anette, his best friend's fiance, is just the hook to appeal to readers who may not normally want to read about addiction, and in doing so, I hope to demystify and destigmatize the condition/illness. You may be interested in my blogs at www.addictionontrial.com I also skype into bookclubs at no charge to chat about the book and/or about addiction.

message 16: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Wright (jawright-jodi) | 1 comments Hi, my debut novel How to Grow an Addict will be published on Nov 3. While it's not my personal story, I do have a drug and alcohol story and it sure came in helpful when I sat down to write this novel. There is currently a giveaway going on with my book. I hope you like it. Let me know. How to Grow an Addict

message 17: by April (new)

April Forker | 1 comments My favorite books that I have read about addiction/alcoholism are:

A New Pair of Glasses by Chuck C.
Drop the Rock
Blackout: Remembering The Things I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola
The Lost Years: Surviving a Mother & Daughter's Worst Nightmare by Kristina Wandzilak
The Crank series by Ellen Hopkins
Drinking: A Love Story
Unwasted: My Lush Sobriety by Sacha Zimmerman Scoblic
Tweak: Growing up on Methamphetamines by Nic Sheff
The Interventionist by Joani Gammill
A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown
Beyond Belief: Finding the Strength to Come Back by Josh Hamilton

That's a random list of some of my favorites. I've read a ton. I'm in recovery so it's all dear to my heart. :)

message 18: by R. Bruce (new)

R. Bruce Rowe | 1 comments Will Wooton and I wrote a handbook for parents dealing with teenage children abusing drugs. Will became sober himself at the age of 16 and has been helping adolescents and their families recover from addiction for 20 years. The handbook style is what makes this book different and more practical than others, enabling parents to work through the process step by step. See Bring Your Teen Back From The Brink: Get educated, get tough, and get help to save your teen from drugs"

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole D'Settēmi | 1 comments Addictarium

Addictarium is the hauntingly candid fictional memoir based on author Nicole D'Settemi's real-life experiences in a 2 year intensive rehabilitation program. The book goes to new depths by tackling underlying psychological issues within the addictive personality, an examination on human relationships and addiction.

message 20: by Julio (new)

Julio Bonilla | 3 comments Two Drinks At A Night's Waltz is the last nonfiction story I wrote. I had it translated to Spanish this year. The narrator noticed it could be helpful to alcoholics! Check it out on Amazon & Smashwords!

message 21: by E. (last edited Jan 21, 2017 10:17PM) (new)

E. Bast | 1 comments Greetings. Thank you for creating this group. I am a new author of a memoir dealing with addiction, and I'm also inspired to learn more about addiction recovery.

My book, "Heart Medicine: A True Love Story," details a quest for healing after my husband's heroin relapse. We navigated the treacherous labyrinth of his addiction and ultimately pursued treatment with an an obscure indigenous African sacred plant medicine, iboga, used since ancient times for shamanic initiation and spiritual healing, and proven to have powerful addiction breaking effects in recent times. It is raw and honest with some intimate surprises.

I wrote the book because so few people have ever heard of this powerful treatment option, and I was moved to share what I know through our vulnerable story. I hope you enjoy it, from my heart to yours.

Warm Regards, Elizabeth Bast
http://www.ebast.net
http://www.facebook.com/enectarbast

Heart Medicine A True Love Story - One Couple's Quest for the Sacred Iboga Medicine & the Cure for Addiction by E. Bast

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 5 comments My book includes getting clean from drugs (including alcohol) and moving on to be the best person you can be while not relapsing.

From the Edge of the Cliff: Understanding the Two Phases of Recovery and Becoming the Person You're Meant to Be

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 5 comments Sandi wrote: "I've read all the Twelve-Step literature on addiction, and I've read many of the experts. What are some lesser-known books dealing with this topic?"

Check out my books. As a recovering addict and board certified addiction physician, I share my personal experience as well as those of many of my patients in my books. I am coming up on 33 years clean and sober. www.docdawn.com

message 24: by Bill (new)

Bill | 3 comments You may wish to read "Steps & Stories - AA History, Steps & Spirituality" by Sandy Beach. For those not familiar with Sandy, he was one of the most sought after AA "circuit" speakers during most of his 50 years. In each of the 12 chapters Sandy tells some interesting stories of AA history then talks about that Step from his spiritual perspective. All in Sandy's engaging and good humored style. This is destined to become an important leagcy work. Available on Amazon and www.hotchkisspublishing.com

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 5 comments Love Sandy Beach! Sounds like a book my husband and I would both enjoy! I hope you will check out my books, From the Edge of the Cliff and Who's Your Higher Power?
www.docdawn.com

message 26: by Amit (new)

Amit Siovitz | 1 comments Hello,
My name is Amit Siovitz, and I actually quite recently published a novel on the topic of addiction. While I admit it isn't as powerful as William Burroughs, who inspired me to write it, I am very pleased with the result :)

It's called "Where Have You Been?" You can check it out here"
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 5 comments Looks like a great read! I will put it on my list!
www.docdawn.com

message 28: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Kelly | 1 comments Hi, my name is Edmund Kelly (Ed) and I'm an alcoholic. I just published my first book titled, Addiction & Pestilence, which is the first book in my Slaying Dragons: A Journey Through Hell series. Well, as I stated I'm an alcoholic and I go to AA meetings. It's been awhile since I had a drink. I've always wanted to write a post-apocalyptic novel but it felt like I was always missing something. One day I had an epiphany to make each character suffer from some sort of addiction. The main character, Drew, is based off of my life and the beginning of Chapter 3 is straight from my life. I took a long, deep look inside myself and poured my heart out onto the page. I decided to name the series Slaying Dragons: A Journey Through Hell because slaying dragons has a duel meaning. It means overcoming addiction and/or defeating the devil. I found it very fitting since my book is a modern retelling of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Each character must deal with some form of addiction and face the devil (inside and out). At first it was hard to discuss, to tell people I'm an alcoholic but once I opened up, I found it very relieving. Addiction & Pestilence has been called, "Hauntingly entertaining" and I have received several great reviews. I will add Addiction & Pestilence to the bookshelf for anyone interested. I am always open to new books to read, so please feel free to share.

Here are the reviews Addiction & Pestilence has received.
http://www.bookviral.com/addiction-pe...

http://kwbookreviews.tumblr.com/post/...

I look forward to connecting with you and others.

Thank you,

Ed

message 29: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Brinker | 1 comments Drunk Girl Stumbling/Maggie Brinker

message 30: by Diamond (new)

Diamond Sky | 2 comments Diamond
Check out a true story of a woman addicted to sex in "Confessions of a Female Sex Addict". Believe it or not, more young adults than ever are starting to have sex earlier and earlier and this book will show you that more sex isn't always better sex. You can find it on Amazon.com at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H716RWC Written by Diamond Sky Get yours today! This book will help other sex addicts know that they need help and it was written to help other female sex addicts.

message 31: by Daniel (new)

Daniel McGhee | 2 comments Chasing A Flawed Sun
By Daniel McGhee
❤️❤️❤️

message 32: by Wes (new)

Wes Hollis | 3 comments Hi everyone, my name is Wes and I'm a long term recovering alcoholic and addict. I'm interested in discussing books that deal with getting sober, and have recently published my own book about my recovery, titled "Heartbeats." Writing it was one of the best things I ever did, because it made everything green again and reminded me that I'm only one drink or line of coke away from dying, no matter how much time I have under my belt. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Heartbeats-Wes...

message 33: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Pala | 5 comments Good evening, I would suggest you to read my book on alcohol addiction. It includes a comprehensive overview of the options available to recover with practical tips.
Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/170225...
It is available in kindle, paperback and audiobook versions.
Any feedback or review are very much appreciated since I am planning to write a second edition soon. Thanks!

message 34: by Bill (new)

Bill | 3 comments Hi Sandi. Have you read Steps & Stories by Sandy Beach. Available on Amazon.

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hunt | 1 comments Smoke Rings Rising: Triumph of a Drug-Endangered Daughter offers a different perspective into addiction; insight into four generations of substance use as witnessed by the youngest member of the generation that started it all.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 36: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 1 comments I have read so many, would be good to know what drugs your interested in and whether you identify more with men or women?

message 37: by Alison Rose (new)

Alison Rose | 2 comments Drinking a Love Story - Caroline Knapp

The Dark Night of Recovery: Conversations from the Bottom of the Bottle - Edward Bear

message 38: by Alison Rose (new)

Alison Rose | 2 comments I also really like Russell Brands recovery book. Best to listen to the audio so as not to miss his cheeky humor.

message 39: by Bill (new)

Bill | 3 comments Steps & Stories by Sandy Beach. Each chapter is 1/2 AA history and 1/2 a Step.

message 40: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Weaver (jrweaver0) | 1 comments The Addiction Manifesto is getting great reviews but then who are the people reviewing it? People that didn't survive addiction or suffer the loss of someone because of it? I'd love to get some people in recovery to read it and get real feedback. Btw I am the author and a person in long-term recovery, my sobriety date is 11-10-17 and I might have set a record for hitting rock bottoms lol, today I'm approaching my 4th year of sobriety and loving life, I started writing after my last rock bottom and was able to break down my addiction to the point to where I understood it, it worked so I decided to put my 'hope manual' into a book and The Addiction Manifesto was born :) Hit me up if you would like to read it and i'll send you a ebook