2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE - General > How long do you read for?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2013 07:07AM) (new)

How long do you read for? Just felt like asking! Also do you finish a whole book in a day? This is just to share!

message 2: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 54 comments I prefer to read novels in one sitting when possible, but it depends on the length and whether it's light reading or something more literary that I want to take my time with and think about.

With nonfiction, it depends on the subject matter and writing style.

What I don't do is read a paragraph here and there whenever I have a spare minute or two. I know it works for a lot of people, but I wouldn't be able to concentrate.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missie322) | 208 comments I read on and off throughout the day. Depends on how long and how good the book is if I finish it in a day or not. It usually takes me 2 days a book on average.

message 4: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 815 comments It really depends. Sometimes I go a whole week without reading at all and other times I'll read for 12 hours straight, only stopping to eat and stuff. On average I'd say about an hour a day on weekdays and 1-4 hours on weekends. It does depend on the book and my mood though :)

message 5: by Sheena (new)

Sheena | 174 comments I usually fit in about an hour or two a day. I try not to read until my chores are done for the day and my older boys are off to school. Once I have played with my baby girl for a little we will sit and read for about 30 minutes with our own books. Depending on the book I will stay up all hours of the night reading while everyone is asleep!!

message 6: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6288 comments Depends on my schedule and on the book that I am reading. If it's a book that I'm not immediately grabbed by, I will portion out an amount to read each day to give myself a goal to get through it.

message 7: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | -15 comments i try to get an hour or two a day of recreational reading in. if i am reading a book that i don't really love but its for a group read or something i will set an amount like 3 chapters to get through then read my good book as a reward when im done.
on average i get thru a book a week

message 8: by AJ (new)

AJ (ame-less) | 65 comments I'm more in the fits and starts category. If I'm on a rereading binge, I'll knock out at least a book a day on workdays, two a day on weekends. But usually an hour a day with week long gaps where I don't read at all.

message 9: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments I usually read for about an hour or two each day for pleasure. An additional hour for books for school, which this year are luckily more enjoyable and fit my interests. On the weekends I usually work out, shower, then read the rest of the morning so three-four hours.

message 10: by Craig (new)

Craig | 826 comments I try to get some time everyday which isn't always easy. It varies from around 30 mins to a few hours at a time. Some days I've seen myself read for hours and hours at a time, like when I was reading Ender's Game as an example.

message 11: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 58 comments I'm a very slow reader. It takes me FOREVER to finish a book. I usually read on my breaks at work and then an hour or two before I go to bed.

Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫ (lindsaysingerofstories) | 69 comments At the very least, I read from 10-30 minutes right before bed. I love the days when I can spend a good chunk of my day reading (at least 3 hours). This usually happens about once a week. Sometimes more if I'm lucky. Like this week when I'm on spring break. Yay!

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat (prosserkat) I sacrifice housework for reading. And sleep. I stay up till the wee/late hours reading. It's quiet and no distractions.
I also love to sit in the sun and read. This has become more difficult with my Kindle Fire. Too much sun glare. :(

So, how long do I read? HOURS if possible.

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 48 comments Usually... I read at work so off an on for 8 hours.
When I have a day off or I'm working nights I like to read in the morning.

message 15: by TheCuriousDeer (new)

TheCuriousDeer | 36 comments On a week day I generally read for 1hour on the train journey to and from work. If the book if really good I will read through my hour lunch break too.

Then once I have finished all chores/eating etc I will generally read for 2 hours in the evening - more if I'm desperate to finish a good book. I'm reading around 1 book every 1 -2 days so I seem to fit it in ok around work.

At the weekend I will generally try and finish a book in one sitting. I aim to read a minimum of 2 books per weekend depending on what else I have to do!

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 23 comments Craig wrote: " Some days I've seen myself read for hours and hours at a time, like when I was reading Ender's Game..."

Hi. New here. I'm Cheryl from California. First, I have to say that I loved Ender's Game! It was great in audio!

I read about 3-4 hours a day on average, less during the week & more on the weekends. I often alternate between light reads and those that take more time & attention. I do enjoy lengthy books though, so I set my goal at 48 this year. Listening to audio books sometimes helps up my reading "productivity" because I can listen and clean or knit or drive or take a walk..... Oh, and I don't watch tv much because it cuts into my reading time ;)

message 17: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Wallace | 7 comments I read all day, every day.

message 18: by Donna (new)

Donna Fogelman | 2 comments I try to read every day. Sometimes I read a chapter then clean, read another chapter then clean again. lol good way to get what you want done and read at the same time.

message 19: by Sky (new)

Sky Paz (lilmissreader) | 86 comments I have a 4 hour daily commute between my job and home, and I spend roughly about 2 extra hours on the subway between work sites, so I'm usually reading on a train. It's something I've gotten used to. I usually can finish a novel in about 2 days depending how long it is and how busy I am with work. I prefer to just to read in one sitting, usually until I finish the book. However long it takes. =)

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam  (sam222) | -11 comments I read about an hour or 2 each day but some days I go without reading it depends on if I feel like reading sometimes I don't.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Not long enough ! I have lots of free time, so I should read more .I hope to remedy that situation by joining this group . I'm also a very slow reader compared to when I was younger. Takes me a bit longer to read and process what I read ,plus I need total quiet to concentrate .
All goals to work on this coming year. I think if I work on it and learn to concentrate more, I'll do better .

message 22: by Noel (new)

Noel Brady (noel-brady) It wasn't always like this, but this year I've been reading on average one book each week. (Give or take.) It's hard to calculate how much I read per day because some days I'll only read an hour or not at all, while on others I'll read for many hours. It averages itself out.

I've never read a book in one day and definitely not one sitting. I need to break it up into pieces or I get restless.

message 23: by Beth S. (new)

Beth S. | 13 comments I like to read at night, but sometimes during the day if it's a really compelling book. 30-60 min a night, most nights.

I read 11/22/63 in two days, only put it down once to go to bed, then grabbed in the next day and finished it. 850 pages in about 12-13 hours.

I read 75 books last year and read 10 books some months. I am a pretty fast reader.

message 24: by Merja (new)

Merja (merjafrob) | 488 comments It depends. Sometimes I can read whole day keeping breaks during eating or not even then. There's also days that I don't read at all or then just under an hour when going to sleep.

message 25: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Ward (courtneyajw) | 248 comments I really wonder where people find the time to read for 12 hours straight - I would love it but I can't find 12 hours in my day to just read with no distractions, chores, errands, etc.

I read throughout the day with an audio book in the morning commute, an eBook I can read during downtime at work and a paperback I get to on my lunch breaks and maybe an hour or two before bed. Weekends can be a little better with an hour or two in the mornings.

message 26: by Brenna (new)

Brenna (brenna_pappert) I read anywhere from 15 min to 2 to 3 hours. Sometimes it depends on if I can sleep at night, if I can't I usually pick up a book.

message 27: by Holli (new)

Holli (hollidemyan) | 95 comments It depends on how interesting the book is. I have been known to finish books in one sitting many times before. I like to read right before I go to bed so either I read until I am sleepy or I doze of with the book in my hands (which has happened plenty of times!)

message 28: by Tammie (new)

Tammie Tackett i read for 2 hours

message 29: by ReGina (new)

ReGina (regifabulous) | 268 comments It depends on the day. What I have started doing is carrying a book with me everywhere. It is amazing how much time we spend waiting in the day. So, if I'm waiting on an elevator or in the line at the drive-thru, I can usually get a few pages in. On average, wait time usually gives me about 30 minutes a day. On good days, I can get an hour in on top of that (for non-work related reading).

message 30: by Diane (new)

Diane (didi3023) | 6 comments It really varies- I can spend a whole day reading and complete a book in a day or just read for 10 minutes at a time and do other things in between. I read about a book a week, more or less- there are some weeks that I only read a page or two before I fall asleep at night.

message 31: by Ying (new)

Ying Teoh (yingteoh) I love reading but because of GCSE this year, I really need to focus more on revision compared to reading :( so now, I spend lesser time on reading :'( it's sad.. I read about a book in about 1 or 2 weeks now

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.