Children's Books discussion

Book Talk > What makes it a good read?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 768 comments Mod
There are no right or wrong answers here, just personal opinions. So...

What does a children's book need to be a good read?

message 2: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sousa | 5 comments I know a children's book is a good read when it made me want to return to it over and over again (usually because it created a delicious world I got lost in). These books usually remain part of my re-reading efforts even well into adulthood.

Good reads appeal to my senses -- C.S. Lewis, for instance describes the foods, smells, colors, textures -- he made the culture real and almost palpable that way.

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Well said! And a perfect example of a fantastic author's work!

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments What makes it a good read in my opinion is that it makes me smile, it's not hard to read, and it's entertaining!

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Good call Jessica!

I try to make the books I read like that; easy to read and understand, but entertaining and enjoyable to read. I hope I manage it... The handful of readers I have so far seem to enjoy them anyway!

message 6: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Reynolds | 69 comments A good children's read shouldn't be too confusing, but have a tight and entertaining plot. The characters should be lively, and people that kids can relate to in real life. It should also make children become lost in the story and want to read the book.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Well said, Madeline!

message 8: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Reynolds | 69 comments Thank you :)

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen Garrett | 148 comments A Good read should have plenty of voice, a plot full of surprises, and believable characters.

And if you want ME to like it, the underlying messages should coincide with my core beliefs and values without being too didactic.

What I'm trying to say is a good read for me might not be a good read for everyone.

message 10: by Victoria (new)

That's a very good answer, Jen. As well as a very valid point.