Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

For You, Madam Lenin
This topic is about For You, Madam Lenin
Book Issues > Please add Kindle edition and complete description

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (last edited Mar 15, 2013 06:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Richard Derus (expendablemudge) | 14 comments Kindle edition pubbed by Livingston Press on 10.25.2012
ASIN B009Z552RC
290pp/1619KB
Same cover as hc/pb

Book description from review copy onesheet:

Nadezhda Krupskaya, Vladimir Lenin's comrade/wife, was an only child. Where she went, her mother went also. In Siberia and Europe, Lenin and the two Krupskayas shared close quarters: two- and three-room apartments.

Lenin obliged to live with an in-house, sharp-tongued critic, Nadya Krupskaya and Lenin trying to run a revolution while living with mom/mother-in-law, the daily rituals and domestic lives of subversives--fictionally promising territory.

For You, Madam Lenin covers pre-revolutionary St. Petersburg, the Revolutions of 1905 and 1917, and the Soviet experiment post-Lenin. Trotsky with his abundant hair, Stalin with his webbed feet, Lenin's lovely mistress Inessa Armand, and half-blind Fanny Kaplan, Lenin's would-be assassin, are all present and accounted for.

But the novel belongs to the two Krupskayas. In this version of events, the male triumvirate Lenin-Trotsky-Stalin doesn't outshine Russia's long line of tough, resilient, radical female luminaries.

In the tradition of the great Russian novels, Kat Meads takes on revolution, marriage, political intrigue, and a mother-daughter bond made of iron in this clever and subversive historical saga. --Elizabeth McKenzie, author of Stop That Girl

For You, Madam Lenin is an astonishing book, authoritative, brave and compelling. Kat Meads, who seems to travel to a new planet for each book, shows us yet another surprising side of her versatile talent in this audacious and passionate novel. A breathtaking read. --Valerie Miner, author of Traveling with Spirits

For You, Madam Lenin gives us the truest history there is. I have never read anything quite like this novel, though I am reminded of what I like in Kat Meads's prose: it's sleek and smart, populated by vivid characters and their insistent, idiosyncratic speech. You can't do anything but listen. --Liza Wieland, author of Quickening

Kat Meads has crept up and through history's blind spots and fissures in order to re-animate a gloriously wicked Destalinization. I love this book so much I want to take a Foucault pill and ride the high of her fiction's history. --Lidia Yuknavitch, author of The Chronology of Water

Richard Derus (expendablemudge) | 14 comments lafon حمزة wrote: "Here you go: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17..."

Thank you very much!