Horror Aficionados discussion

Occupation
This topic is about Occupation
Author/Publisher/Etc. Promotion > Vampires versus the Third Reich

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeff Dawson | 50 comments Are you ready for vampires to regain their standing and stop sparkling in the twilight? Are you ready for them to take on an opponent more vile, viscous and evil than themselves? Wait no longer!

These are the vampires that filled many nightmares of old. Meet the Romanov and Boirarsky clans. They have waged a war amongst themselves for centuries over feeding rights and inconsequential issues. All of that changes when Adolf Hitler decides to expand the Third Reich and invades Poland in 1939. The Germans start shipping off their food supply to distant lands. The clans are unwillingly forced to decide if they are going to continue with their fruitless battle or combine their collective forces and take on an opponent worth of their sharpened fangs: The Third Reich!

Vampires versus the Third Reich. Evil never tasted so good.

Get a copy today and choose a side!

Jeff Dawson | 50 comments Joey Pinkney rated it 4 of 5 stars

Just when you thought vampire fiction had taken its course and all of the angles had been exhausted, Jeff Dawson pierces the literary world with “Occupation”.

Set in 1940s South Poland, “Occupation” brings Nazi history and vampire history together to form a dark, bleak read that is familiar on a few levels yet unique. If you know a little about vampires, you will readily recognize the bloodsucking fangs and virtually immortal status that comes with these beings. If you understand world history, you know the cold, heartless terror that Nazi Germany brought to the Europe during its heyday. “Occupation” is an excellent fleshing out of this question: “What if the Nazis and Vampires clashed in an epic battle of wit, logistics and pure determination?”

Jeff Dawson did a tremendous job with “Occupation”. The setting was well described and tangible from the desolate train station in Krakow to the forest homes of the Boirarsky and Romanov clans to the lavish interior of The Amadeus Hotel. He gives the high ranking officials of the Third Reich the same arrogant evilness that infuriates you each time they spit the word “peasant” at anyone they believe to be below them.

For the most part, the editing was superb, and the flow of the story was easy to read. The dialogue fits the different characters. There were a couple of rough patches in “Occupation” that caused me to pause and scratch my head while I took a little time to figure out what was going on.

“Occupation” is a longer read, but it’s a complete literary feast. The elaborate plans conceived by the united vampire clan dovetailed seamlessly with the aspects of life experienced because the Third Reich’s attempt at domination during World War II. Once the Third Reich was pitted against the vampires, anti-heroes slowly formed and, lines were blurred. A unique literary document was born.

Even if vampires and Nazis are not your cups of tea, “Occupation” may prove an enjoyable reading experience because it was, for the most part, a well-executed book distinguished by having a unique take on old themes. Jeff Dawson did an outstanding job creating a highly-detailed world for literature lovers.

Read the complete JoeyPinkney.com interview for "Occupation" by Jeff Dawson here http://h1t.it/YzjMmv(less)

message 3: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Hmm..interesting concept. Although I wouldn't be surprised if their really were vampires during the Third Reich!

Jeff Dawson | 50 comments Justin wrote: "Hmm..interesting concept. Although I wouldn't be surprised if their really were vampires during the Third Reich!"

One never knows Justin. Anything can lurk in the dark forests of Southern Poland. Here's the book trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzQKae...

message 5: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Very cool book trailer. Informative and interesting.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments I picked up a copy today and hope to read it soon.

message 7: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie (easydemon) | 8 comments Lately, I have been enjoying vampire stories, so I will give this one a shot next weekend while camping.

Jeff Dawson | 50 comments Lonnie wrote: "Lately, I have been enjoying vampire stories, so I will give this one a shot next weekend while camping."

I appreciate that Lonnie. Safe travels

Jeff Dawson | 50 comments Scott wrote: "I picked up a copy today and hope to read it soon."

Many thanks Scott. Hope to have the sequel out July/August.

message 10: by Jeff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff Dawson | 50 comments Running a promo through July 20th. Only $.99!!! Occupation by Jeff Dawson
Sequel is looking like August/September.

Also, if you're into Stephen King's, "The Shining," this short story might be in your wheel house. Terror at The Sterling by Jeff Dawson . It will be free this weekend. 8000 words full of fear, terror, suspense and gore.

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric | 30 comments The premise of this story sounds vaguely like The Keep by F Paul Wilson.

message 12: by Jeff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff Dawson | 50 comments Eric wrote: "The premise of this story sounds vaguely like The Keep by F Paul Wilson."

Eric, I've heard of the book, but never read it. The story is loosely based on actual events which occurred at the hotel. So, it's not a copy cat or new rendition. To top it off, the gentlemen told me the other day they had another bizarre incident with the same room. Very strange indeed.

message 13: by Jeff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff Dawson | 50 comments FREE this week only on Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

message 14: by Jeff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff Dawson | 50 comments The perfect poster for your upcoming Halloween party Occupation or the original cover: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008...

message 15: by Jeff (last edited Oct 09, 2014 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff Dawson | 50 comments The second installment of Occupation will be released next month: Sabotage. Will Hitler be able to breach the gates of Moscow? Will General Guderian receive the allotted fuel for the final push for Operation Typhoon? How will Nikoli react when he discovers Svetlana's secret and what about Corporal Schmidt? How is he still alive? Prepare for war!

Cover reveal in three weeks.