The Robin Hobb Collection discussion

Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)
This topic is about Assassin's Quest
Book 3 - Assassin's Quest > Assassin's Quest Part One > Chapters Thirty One - Thirty Five

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hanne (hanne2) | 791 comments Mod
ch31 - start of this chapter is not very promising...

"There are a number of old "White Prophecies" that to the betrayal of the Catalyst. White Column says of this event, "By his love is he betrayed, and his love betrayed also." A lesser known scribe and prophet, Gant the White, goes into more detail. "The heart of the Catalyst is bared to a trusted one. All confidence is given, and all confidence betrayed. The child of the Catalyst is given into his enemies' hands by one whose love and loyalty are above question." The other prophecies are more oblique, but in each case the inference is that the Catalyst is betrayed by one who has his implicit trust."

so who is the betrayer?
the rest of this chapter makes me think it might be Chade, although i struggle to believe that. was the whole elfbark thing really an accident?
hearing kettle talk it seemed like common knowledge what it was used for, but then in buckkeep there aren't a lot of skilled ones left. wouldn't shrewd know though?
chade also has his daughter right now, or at least that's what kettricken is saying. plus chade knows about the plans to get verity in the upper mountains, right where regals troups are found.

i struggle to believe that, but the chapter intro is set up like whomever it will be will be a big betrayal, so who else is on the list? burrich and patience are two impossibles for me.

aaaaa, have to read on!

message 2: by Hanne (last edited Mar 15, 2013 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ch32 - oh dammit. i agree with Kettle, they should be called "the idiot and the fool". how can fitz give what he knows of Molly's location to the fool, knowing sooo well that there is a danger of the coterie getting into the fool's brain.

how are they not on high alert with the fool knowing and obviously not even recalling? really, no one who realizes.

so i guess i must be glad it's not chade, but the fool being tricked right? *sigh*

(read on, read on)

message 3: by Hanne (last edited Mar 15, 2013 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ch33 - interesting turn of events. i wasn't sure how we would find Verity. maybe stuck in one of the skill city's, or just tired, hungry and wounded.
i hadn't expect to find him carving a dragon out of stone.

i quite like it though, he's been carving a dragon, what next. i guess he will 'skill' it to life and fly it to buck to save his country?
is that why he has to pour the memories into it? to make it personal, to make it 'his own dragon'?

i like!

(but i do hope candance will catch up soon, i feel like a fool talking to myself here. although a fool would still be a compliment with this book i guess)

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments You are going to be so crying by the end of this book.

Jenny (gielske) | 28 comments yessssss she will. And again in the tawny man. I still do for that one...

o-oh, i'd better stack some extra kleenex for this evening then. i'm already such a cry-baby when it comes to books!

ch35 - No kleenex yet.
But i'm glad the mystery of Kettle's skill got explained. It was so clear that she had the skill, yet somehow the road did not bother her at all. Nor did she try to get into the city as well.
But the fact that they bound her skill to her, explains a lot. And she does seem to have a lot of fun making that dragon!