The Sword and Laser discussion

R.A. Salvatore
This topic is about R.A. Salvatore
Sword and Laser Video Show > S&L Video- #31 - Self-Publishing, 'Synergy,' and R.A. Salvatore!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments The author of 22 NYT Best Sellers, creator of Drizzt Do’Urden, and all around fantasy genre luminary R.A. Salvatore joins us to talk what’s next for the Drow Ranger, John Fogerty, and why you should quit writing (if you can).

http://youtu.be/aLf1hBUr9M4

Enjoy!

message 2: by library_jim (new)

library_jim | 212 comments Thanks Veronica & Tom (& Aaron!) for a great year of videos. I found your videos about a year ago when I was home on a sick day and I loved them right away. Then I started listening to the podcast and dipping my toe into the discussions on Goodreads. I love how it's the perfect mix for die hard sf/f fans and those just wanting to try it out an learn more.

I thank you, I thank the Geek & Sundry team, I thank the authors and I especially thank the great people on the forum that make this such a fun community. And I look forward to continue to follow you guys on the podcast and Goodreads and whatever else you have for us.

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Ok when they asked my question I squeed.

message 4: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (repressedpauper) Christopher wrote: "Ok when they asked my question I squeed."

They didn't say my name but I totally did too, haha.

message 5: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments I pretty much did the same thing when I saw my Alternate History "research" appear on-screen. :-D

message 6: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (repressedpauper) I loved the alternate history, Ty!

message 7: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Anyone mind telling me what the alternate history was? I can't see them. It's the only part of the video show where i really feel I'm missing something

message 8: by Francis x (new)

Francis      x | 90 comments I was wondering if you can urge the Geek & Sundry team to make an anthology of all videos on Blu-ray ( season one).

message 9: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments Thanks, Leanne!

Christopher, here's what it was:
March 15, 44 B.C.: Julius Caesar, having been warned to "beware the Ides of March," calls in sick to work and spends day fishing instead.
Gets 6 fish, but practices catch and release so as to not bring home the evidence.

message 10: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments I think the deal with youtube prevents that

message 11: by James (new)

James Witherspoon | 14 comments Bob Salvatore's such a likable guy. I need to catch up on his stuff. Last Drizzt book I read was The Orc King

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1864 comments The video show just keeps getting better, and that makes me sad again to know it's finishing.

p.s. Veronica, I love your t-shirt! :)

message 13: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Thanks Ty

message 14: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments I could feel the synergy between you guys and R.A. Salvatore.

message 15: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1151 comments Mod
Francis x wrote: "I was wondering if you can urge the Geek & Sundry team to make an anthology of all videos on Blu-ray ( season one)."

The good news is, we own the videos, so we can do that! The bad news is, YouTube has an exclusive of one year, so we have to wait to put them all out.

message 16: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthewdl) | 341 comments Tom wrote: "Francis x wrote: "I was wondering if you can urge the Geek & Sundry team to make an anthology of all videos on Blu-ray ( season one)."

The good news is, we own the videos, so we can do that! ..."

Worth the wait. Also, awesome episode. R.A. Salvatore had some really interesting things to say about the publishing industry.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (deckfullojokers) | 55 comments :-( the uncertainty of the future of the shows makes me sad. I saw a comment about using kickstarter to help ensure the continuance of the show and others. I'd be down.

message 18: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments It's weird, the announcement of the demise of Google Reader this week has made me go back through and catch up on all the old episodes (also, me being a lazy lump).

I thought this was a great episode. Even though I listened to the previous interview with him, I hadn't realized just how much he had written. I guess I got introduced to him with the Forgotten Realms books without even realizing it.

I think Lem looked a little depressed in this episode, you'd think he'd be happy he gets to take a little vacation..

message 19: by Kris (last edited Mar 17, 2013 09:56AM) (new)

Kris (kvolk) Love the author guides and R.A "Bob" Salvatore is a fun guest. Enjoyed this second time around just as much as the first...glad to hear that you don't think your being assassinated...

message 20: by Philip (new)

Philip Payawal | 2 comments After watching your video, I suddenly became interested in reading RA Salvatore's books. I plan to start reading the Neverwinter series but, do I have to read all of his Forgotten Realms books for it to make sense? Or can I just jump right in?

message 21: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Philip while reading the earlier books will help, for the most part jumping in won't really be an issue

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments The book club episodes are great, but the real strength of this show lies in these author guides. They have made me interested in reading authors that I've only glanced past before.

I'd be really sad if they didn't come back for a second season.

message 23: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments So let me get this straight; Sword & Laser isn't going to continue as a series on the Geek & Sundry network?

Why is that?

message 24: by Steve (new)

Steve (plinth) | 179 comments FWIW, I've been tracking the episodes of Sword and Laser and posting links to all the books/authors that get mentioned in any particular episode. You can find this week's recap here (Self-Publishing, Synergy, and R.A. Salvatore! - Sword & Laser Ep. 31)

message 25: by Kalvin (last edited Mar 18, 2013 09:52AM) (new)

Kalvin | 27 comments Walter as far as I know the facts are these, Geek and Sundry are coming to the end of their year of content, so are going through the process of what do we continue if/when we can.
Sword and Laser video shows are also coming to their year end of running. all normal no need to panic
However, I don't believe their is any confirmation yet as to S&L being picked up at this time, only advice is the basics, like the shows on you tube, subscribe etc.
so until then carry on safe in the knowledge that audio podcasts are continuing for the foreseeable future and Veronica and Tom will inform us of the future of Sword and Laser on Geek and Sundry.

message 26: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1151 comments Mod
Kalvin. We will not continue on Geek and Sundry, but we hope to bring back videos later this year.

message 27: by Francis x (new)

Francis      x | 90 comments Tom wrote: "Francis x wrote: "I was wondering if you can urge the Geek & Sundry team to make an anthology of all videos on Blu-ray ( season one)."

The good news is, we own the videos, so we can do that! ..."

I thinking about that last years April Fool stunt by YouTube and Google showing a new product called YouTube by mail on BluRay disc.
Plus this is the job for post-production crews known as the PixelCorps.

message 28: by Kalvin (new)

Kalvin | 27 comments Oh well that's disappointing, thanks for the information Tom glad to hear you shall return in another form though.

message 29: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Sad to hear we'll be deprived of the video shows for a time. Now will need to learn how to access the podcasts (still climbing the learning curve on some tech stuff, only got rid of my Treo 700w this past November).

My wife and I plan to attend DragonCon for the first time this coming Labor Day weekend (we plan to stay off-site at her brother's place). Perhaps there'll be room enough for us to squeeze into one of your panels. :)

message 30: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments Tom wrote: "Kalvin. We will not continue on Geek and Sundry, but we hope to bring back videos later this year."

God, I'm soooo glad to hear that! Not the G&S part of course, but hearing you guys are planning to bring back S&L youtube show is music to my ears. I'm optimistic that a Kickstarter campaign will be enough to keep you guys feeding Lem(unless you feed him your guests after interviews), paying for Space castle bills(we all know how much anti-matter fuel cost these days), and independently running your own channel for at least a couple of years. :)

message 31: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Kickstarter sounds like an excellent option. If you go that route, I'm sure I could dig some loose shekels out of the sofa.