Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

Archive blog stuff > Should authors blog or not blog? What's the real value?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 77 comments Jane Friedman has written a helpful blog about blogging. Should authors blog? Are blogs worth the effort? Is this hot trend now waning? The comments posted are very insightful. Here's the link:

http://janefriedman.com/2013/03/15/it...

message 2: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Paula wrote: "Jane Friedman has written a helpful blog about blogging. Should authors blog? Are blogs worth the effort? Is this hot trend now waning? The comments posted are very insightful. Here's the link:

ht..."

Very interesting article, Paula. As an author (relatively new) who blogs regularly, I sometimes wonder if it's worth it. Luckily, in my field, romance, it has been a good venue for networking and the reciprocity has worked for me thus far. Very interesting to see this viewpoint.

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 49 comments Most interesting. Thanks for sharing. However, I'm still going to blog. It's just fun and, to me, that's its value to me.

message 4: by L.F. (new)

L.F. Falconer | 63 comments If I'm surfing the net, I enjoy reading blogs, if they have something interesting to say. As for myself, I don't think I'd ever be able to commit to a blog full time, though I'm trying to find a few moments out of the month to say a little something on my blog space here at Goodreads.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 77 comments Thanks to all for posting. I like to write my blog about classic short stories because it keeps me reading and evaluating and thinking as a writer. Blogging is a healthy activity for authors as long as you keep enjoying it and growing.

message 6: by R. (last edited Mar 15, 2013 04:39PM) (new)

R. Alan Woods (rhemarodaw) | 2 comments Blog the ever-lov'in heck out of it!!!...LOL...;)

message 7: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) It's what works for you. As long as it works for me, it'll continue! :)

message 8: by R. (new)

R. Patrick (goodreadscomuser_richardphughes) | 5 comments I have a blog, which I post on regularly. You just can't let it be a time-suck. You've got to be selective about what you read and post.

message 9: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Moorer (sherrithewriter) Absolutely. I have a blog on my website and my hits always spike on days I blog. I try to do it at least twice a week. It keeps traffic coming.

message 10: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments I've got a blog, but it's not related to my books.

I've got an extra page that lists my books, and I post when I've released a new one, but it's a separate beast entirely.

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 77 comments Here's a question to all: Is your blog stimulating books sales, and isn't that the main goal of the blog? My information is that a blog is a place to show your "author platform" (mine is reading horror), illustrate your writing skills, and draw readers to explore your work on the site, connect with readers via comments, and hopefully some will want to buy your book.

My blog is still new, only active these last three months.

message 12: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 49 comments Paula wrote: "Here's a question to all: Is your blog stimulating books sales, and isn't that the main goal of the blog? My information is that a blog is a place to show your "author platform" (mine is reading ho..."

I have a couple of questions regarding you blog. Does you 'comments' area have a 'captcha' spam filter? If so, do you get word that many don't comment because they don't want to take the time to do the captcha?

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 77 comments Steven, I don't. Comments are always appreciated, even if it's only a few words.

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 49 comments Paula wrote: "Steven, I don't. Comments are always appreciated, even if it's only a few words."

Thanks, Paula.

message 15: by Francis (new)

Francis Franklin (francisjamesfranklin) | 32 comments I think it's important to have something, even if it's only a static website.

I started blogs two or three times during the past decade, but never had enough enthusiasm to do anything with them. Last year, after publishing my second novel, I started blogging on goodreads. I had a lot of tension in me from that writing, and from the experience of self-publishing, and blogging provided a nice vent. After a while I shifted to WordPress.com, and I like it.

I do talk about my novels there from time to time, but usually in the context of something else. I write bits of fiction, I do some book reviews (of my own choosing), and generally rant and ruminate about vampires and sexuality.

I don't really know how many people read it, and I don't know whether it has generated more than a handful of sales, but I'm rather enjoying it.

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 77 comments I would consider even a handful of sales a good start, Francis.

In some ways, isn't writing a blog akin to writing a journal? Because journal writing keeps the mind turning, words flowing, ideas developing, this is considered a MUST for the talents to sharpen. So by blogging, you're still doing what's right for yourself as a writer ... and if a handful of people come along to read it, great!

message 17: by Francis (new)

Francis Franklin (francisjamesfranklin) | 32 comments I think you're right.

I wrote my first novel during 1998-2000, then hardly wrote anything for years, until last year. Having a blog creates an excuse to write about stuff without necessarily being too serious about it.

message 18: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 453 comments Interesting article. I've written over 40 blog posts on my page and only 2 comments in 3 plus years having the site. I know people view them, not as much as I'd like but it doesn't discourage me in writing blogs. It's good to keep up a blog because you never know who your posts will appeal to. Keeps your writing fresh and you can make some serious points and whether or not you draw in interest is secondary.