Indie Book Collective discussion

Help > For those of you more experienced with book launches...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle I am launching the second book in my series later this Spring/early Summer. With my first book (last February), I didn't do anything ahead of time to "promote" the book, I waited until it was out before I started doing anything.

I realize that was probably a mistake.

So, I was wondering: what things would you recommend I (or any other author releasing a new book) do in the months leading up to that book's release? What worked for you? What do you wish you had done?

(I'm also thinking about doing a blog post about this, because I think it would be helpful to other authors in the same situation)

Thank you for your time.

message 2: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 42 comments Jenelle,
Good question. I'm in a similar situation. Launching next month, and still promoting number one. I had a really hard time with the idea of promoting something that didn't exist! Looking forward to the comments here!

Unexpected Legacy

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Taylor My first book is about to be released on Wednesday 3/20.
I've done a fair bit of promo. I did a cover reveal with a book tour company, which got a fair few website hits and twitter/Facebook followers.
I also have a giveaway listed here on Goodreads, which has seen 500 people add my book (at least people have seen it and read the blurb and know it's out there)
I also have a blog tour set up starting Monday.
Also, readers like ARCs. I participated in a R2R program in a Goodreads group so there were some reviews of the book before it came out from people I didn't know.
Hopefully that translates into some sales, but I'm just happy I had the guts to publish on my own on the first place.

Hope this helps you guys a little.

message 4: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson | 52 comments One thing I wish I'd done after the release of my first novel was to get people signed up to a newsletter so I'd recommend that. I'm in the process of doing that right now.

You may not have enough time to build up a significant list before the launch, but I would go ahead and start. If it doesn't pay off now, then it may on your third or fourth book.

message 5: by Cass (new)

Cass | 5 comments Jenelle wrote: "I am launching the second book in my series later this Spring/early Summer. With my first book (last February), I didn't do anything ahead of time to "promote" the book, I waited until it was out b..."

Hi Jenelle,

I believe this will be helpful for you http://bookpromotion.weebly.com

message 6: by Cass (new)

Cass | 5 comments Darlene wrote: "Jenelle,
Good question. I'm in a similar situation. Launching next month, and still promoting number one. I had a really hard time with the idea of promoting something that didn't exist! Looking fo..."

Same thing with you Darlene. Try to visit this link to see some good suggestions http://bookpromotion.weebly.com

message 7: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle Thank you, Cass!

message 8: by Cass (new)

Cass | 5 comments happy to help :)

message 9: by Cass (new)

Cass | 5 comments Jenelle wrote: "Thank you, Cass!"

happy to help :)

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie D'Abreo (mdabreo) | 8 comments Nicole R. wrote: "My first book is about to be released on Wednesday 3/20.
I've done a fair bit of promo. I did a cover reveal with a book tour company, which got a fair few website hits and twitter/Facebook followe..."

I'm curious to know what kind of giveaways, and how that's done? I'm new to Goodreads :)