Blogger Lift discussion

Authors'/Writing Blogs > Should authors blog or not blog? What's the real value?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 29 comments Jane Friedman has written a helpful blog about blogging. Should authors blog? Are blogs worth the effort? Is this hot trend now waning? The comments posted are very insightful. Here's the link:

http://janefriedman.com/2013/03/15/it...

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) | 160 comments I could not disagree more. I think that blogs help an established author keep in touch with their fans and let them know what's going on with their work and in their personal lives. I check many of my favorite authors' blogs daily. Then again, I primarily read ya so things work slightly differently from other genres.

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 29 comments I agree, Mary, that blogs can serve a multitude of communications between author and reader. I also like to read what my favorite authors have to say. There seems to be a glut of blogs out there now for book reviews and writing tips. Thanks for posting.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (knoxdiver) | 160 comments That's true that there are a million review blogs and it's hard to stand out in that crowd, but I do believe there's great value in blogs regularly maintained by authors. Cassie Clare has gained a huge internet following by using twitter, tumblr and a blog successfully. In contrast, Stephenie Meyer is not as accessible to fans as she goesmonths without blog updates. Then again, she's achieved enough commercial success to not need that kind of promotion.

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia  (juliavdc) | 48 comments Author blogs like THIS:

www.kirstenmillerbooks.blogspot.com

Where the author actually bothers to read the comments and talks directly to fans, hosts her own giveaways, and posts strange things completely irrelevant to the books she writes, and blogs because she wants to and not for marketing- those are the BEST.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 5 comments I adore Seanan McGuire Seanan McGuire 's blog...

she has fun non-book stuff, latest news on her book stuff, and regularly updates her appearances schedule. Plus she's super quirky and I adore that!

message 7: by Cain (new)

Cain Freeman (nobsbooks) | 41 comments While I only casually follow a few author's blogs, most prominently Kristin Cashore and Veronica Roth, but I believe they can be immensely useful for establishing a relationship with the author and fans, or at least humanizing them. Often it feels like authors live in the same fantastical lands that they write about.

message 8: by Briana (last edited Mar 24, 2013 08:10PM) (new)

Briana | 63 comments I don't follow many author blogs, but I can definitely see the value if the author updates frequently. It's a way to seem more personal and keep in touch with followers, and I think it could even save time to write a blog post about an idea or important book news than to talk to individual fans about it on a social media site like Twitter.

I think the tool could be utilized differently for bestselling authors and ones who need to self-promote a bit more.

message 9: by Jack (new)

Jack (jackcroxall) Oh I totally think so!

It's a way to connect with readers, promote your work and keeps you sharp!

But most importantly, it's fun!

Jack :) x

http://jackcroxall.co.uk/

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I think authors should blog maybe once a month to keep their readers in touch with what's going on. I think blogging as authors is okay as long as it doesn't take away from the actual writing

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I think authors should blog maybe once a month to keep their readers in touch with what's going on. I think blogging as authors is okay as long as it doesn't take away from the actual writing

message 12: by Laurette (new)

Laurette Long | 12 comments A really interesting topic. Thanks Paula for starting it off, also directing me to the article on Jane Friedman's blog. From the different comments on this thread I guess most of us disagree, for very valid reasons. I'd just like to add that blogging is a wonderful way for a writer of a particular genre to 'stretch' him/herself, use a different voice from the one in the books, plus, as has been said, a great way to connect with readers and anyone else who stumbles on to the blog. And yes, yes, yes, Jack, it's fun!
http://www.laurettelong.com

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Blogging can't hurt an author. To say blogging is a waste of time, is like saying writing is a waste of time. Most bloggers put a lot of effort into writing their blog posts. It takes discipline and you can never go wrong with a little discipline.

As an author, I enjoy blogging to connect with readers and writers. It allows me to share my expat experiences, life, writing, publishing, etc.

http://baerbookspress.com/blog/

message 14: by Laurette (new)

Laurette Long | 12 comments I've just spent an enoyable hour browsing the blogs on this page. Yes I know I should have been writing. I shall put on my hair shirt later.
I was particularly struck by Denise's latest blog 'Spank You Very Much!' Ouch. Quite painful to read but a lot of good advice in there especially for newbies like myself.
Seems like we all agree about the necessity to keep blogging even though what was a hot trend may well be cooling. Blogs aren't just for promotion.

message 15: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Laurette wrote: "I've just spent an enoyable hour browsing the blogs on this page. Yes I know I should have been writing. I shall put on my hair shirt later.
I was particularly struck by Denise's latest blog 'Span..."

Thanks for taking the time, Laurette. I really didn't want it to be painful, but I guess if some authors are guilty of poor behavior, it might feel that way. In the beginning, I had my own courtesy lapses when it came to promoting.

I enjoyed your latest blog post. Dr. Seuss and the Dick and Jane books helped me read and made me laugh but Where the Wild Things Are captured my imagination.

message 16: by Laurette (new)

Laurette Long | 12 comments Denise wrote: "Laurette wrote: "I've just spent an enoyable hour browsing the blogs on this page. Yes I know I should have been writing. I shall put on my hair shirt later.
I was particularly struck by Denise's ..."

Thanks for visiting my blog Denise. 'Where the Wild Things Are' - what a ground-breaking book that was! I fully agree with what you say on Spank You Very Much, I didn't make that clear. When someone does you a courtesy, the least you can do is consider yourself lucky and acknowledge the fact with a sincere thank you.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris Johnson (chris-johnson) For the authors who believe in blogging: how do you attract visitors?