Corpus Press: Horror and Weird Fiction discussion

Arboreatum
This topic is about Arboreatum
ArborEATum, my newest book, is FREE for a limited time!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evans (last edited Mar 15, 2013 07:08AM) (new) - added it

Evans Light (evanslight) | 204 comments Mod
For the first time ever, my horror novella ARBOREATUM is free to the general public on Amazon. Grab your copy here: http://fuonlyknew.wordpress.com/2013/...

ARBOREATUM by Evans Light
Giveaway is from March 15-19.

Enjoy, and please share with your friends! At about 75 pages in length, it's my longest published work to date - and probably the last new thing you'll see from me until my full-length novel is released.

I'd love to hear what you think about this one.

-Evans

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 0 comments shared it via your blog post on FB and Twitter:)

message 3: by Evans (new) - added it

Thanks so much!! I appreciate the support.

If you have a link to your review on your blog, send it to me and I'll add the link to my blog post.

-Evans

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (leeshirk) | 22 comments I grabbed it off Amazon! Thanks I am about to start a buddy read, but when done I will read this and I also have Stories Inc to get to, although I have read payback already.

message 5: by Evans (new) - added it

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it, Lee.

Jacob Rayne | 28 comments Got it. I'll have a look and let you know. Looking forward to it.

message 7: by Evans (new) - added it

Jacob wrote: "Got it. I'll have a look and let you know. Looking forward to it."

Thanks, Jacob!

message 8: by Evans (new) - added it

Three days left in the Amazon giveaway for ARBOREATUM. Link: http://www.amazon.com/ARBOREATUM-eboo...

I love this new review!

It's in the Trees! It's Coming!, March 16, 2013
By Pope Mel (Pennsylvania)

This review is from: ArborEATum (Kindle Edition)

"The year eighteen thirty-nine hadn't been a good one so far, and he hoped it wouldn't end up being the one carved on his headstone."

Led by a religious zealot, two families on the brink of starvation travel across endless plains, headed to some vague promised land in the West. Miraculously, they come upon a lush paradise, a veritable oasis in the midst of the dry and dusty prarie. In a green and shady grove, there are houses, still filled with the belongings of the previous tenants. Their crazed leader becomes convinced that God has "led them to the site of the original Garden of Eden."

He proclaims,
"We've checked the houses and they are vacant, every one. There's no death, no disease, no sign that anyone has lived here for a very long time; yet both dwellings are furnished and tidy, the pantry fully stocked with provisions and seed, the trees above us burdened with fruit - it's as though the Lord God himself came down from heaven and prepared this garden especially for our families' blessing."

But in this paradise, bodies don't stay buried and the trees are laden with strange fruit. This vision of Eden quickly becomes Hell on earth when it's time to reap a bitter harvest.

As this well-written story races to a horrific conclusion, it's virtually impossible to stop reading. This one will stay with me for a while, and I'll certainly think twice before heading to one of those "pick your own apples" farms next fall.

message 10: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Light (goodreadscomadamlight) | 266 comments Mod
Amazing!

message 11: by Evans (new) - added it

Two days left in the Amazon giveaway for ARBOREATUM. Link: http://www.amazon.com/ARBOREATUM-eboo...

Another beautifully written new review!

Lynne King's review Mar 18, 13
5 of 5 stars
bookshelves: horror

Firstly, can you imagine not eating for several days and then being persuaded to eat clay just to give you bulk and volume? Secondly, can you also imagine being in a wagon train when suddenly a religious fanatic called Lemuel has a “revelation” and wants everyone to leave the established trail? Evidently Lemuel used to be normal but his “creeping mental shift had blossomed into a full-blown messianic delusion. No surprise there. He was always rambling about finding the Garden of Eden and other such nonsense.”

As soon as I read this, I became apprehensive. I’m not really into horror but I trusted Melki’s review. I hate it when I get frightened and I don’t want to turn the page, however, this happened rather frequently in this very unusual book.

The wagon train continues on its way without listening to family man Lemuel and he persuades his good friend Samuel (strange rhyming of names here) and all of his family to follow his “revelation”. God indeed was telling his to do this and yes, they do indeed find the Promised Land. For after travelling in the “wilderness”, this magical place dramatically appears like a mirage on a ridge in the distance. Four individuals are standing there and Lemuel has his gun ready. No spoiler here.

A verdant-looking valley, with enormous trees and three houses could be seen. This was heaven for teenager Micah, Samuel’s son and also Anna, Lemuel’s daughter. They find everything is provided for them: food, water, comfort, a fully stocked smokehouse. As soon as I saw the large apple trees with their fruit, well the story then gets well and truly underway.

This is a very fast moving, beautifully described book but it is still horror and you, the reader, will get a really good taste of it. The word is “gripping” here.

I wouldn’t have missed this book for the world and I recommend it for all ages.

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 0 comments When you can convince a NON-horror lover, that's excellent!

message 13: by Evans (new) - added it

I was excited to hear that ArborEATum has started gaining a little traction with some more "literary oriented", non-horror readers...I personally love "literary", well-written horror, and my personal aspiration is to always keep entertainment front and center but to do it with as much class and style as I can muster.

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 0 comments and you do..and I'm not being flattering, but truthful

message 15: by Evans (new) - added it

Aww, thanks! Flattery is fine with me; truthfulness on top is just icing. : )

Corpus Press: Horror and Weird Fiction

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Arboreatum (other topics)