Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Adding book with same title

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Romaine (lynnromaine) | 14 comments I don't see my republished book, Blind Spot, with a new publisher in Goodreads, although the old book, now out of print is still there. Please add Blind Spot, ISBN 978-1-62237-128-0, publisher - Turquoise Morning Press. I've been trying to figure this out for a month, please help and getting frustrated.

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Added, you need to provide a non bookseller link to the cover if you want a cover added

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Romaine (lynnromaine) | 14 comments Blind Spot
Here is a non-book seller link for cover:
http://www.writingtonight.blogspot.com/

Let me know if this is not what you need.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24775 comments Added the cover for you Lynn.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Romaine (lynnromaine) | 14 comments Thanks! You guys are fast! Appreciate it.

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Romaine (lynnromaine) | 14 comments Thanks! You guys are fast! Appreciate it. Check my author page and did not see book - guess I have to do something?

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Romaine (lynnromaine) | 14 comments Thanks! You guys are fast! Appreciate it. Check my author page and did not see book - guess I have to wait 24 hours before it shows up?

message 8: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments The older edition is the one that is going to show on your author page, because it is currently the most popular. However, you can set the new edition to be the default by following these instructions:

http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/31...

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Romaine (lynnromaine) | 14 comments thanks.

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Romaine (lynnromaine) | 14 comments When I search for my book, it does not show up in search engine? Any suggestions? Or does it take 24 hours? Only the old book shows up.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24775 comments The book is combined with the original one.

If you want to make it the default one (only GR staff & authors can do that) you need to follow the instructions:

Q: My book has a new edition, but the old one is showing up on my author page. How can I change that?

A: The default edition of a book -- the one which shows up on your author page, in non-ISBN-specific searches, and several other places -- is determined by the number of Goodreads users who have shelved each edition.

As more users shelve the new edition, it will become the default instead.

Alternatively, Goodreads recently added a new feature for authors: Goodreads Authors can now choose which edition they want to be the default edition for their books. Goodreads Authors (and Goodreads Employees) are the only people who can use this feature, and they can only do so for books on which they are the primary author.

To use this feature, go to the edition you wish to set as the default, and click the "edit" link. On the edition's edit page there will be a link on the right side, about mid-way down the page and just before the link to refresh stats, to "Set this book as the primary edition for this work".

message 12: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Romaine (lynnromaine) | 14 comments Got it! But it did not work. Sorry to be so much trouble. I went to the 'other edition' and made it the main edition which worked. But when I went back to Lynn Romaine page, the other Blind Spot turned up again. And one other question - when the combined was made it turned the apostrophe's into question marks. Can you fix that or can I fix it?

What am I doing wrong that it did pulls up old one when I search for it? When I check the editions page, it has the new one marked as primary. Thanks

message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Romaine (lynnromaine) | 14 comments Here's another problem - my profile page is not showing my profile picture. It shows it on everywhere else but on profile page and Lynn Romaine home page the large photo on the left I want removed but I've tried everything I can think of - uploaded the new photo I want for Blind Spot to author photos and can't make it the one to use. Please advise.

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43589 comments Mod
You can only set the primary edition from the edit page of the edition you wish to be primary. You have not done so.

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Romaine (lynnromaine) | 14 comments Here it is - I did switched on the list of two - it let me and said the right one was primary now http://www.goodreads.com/work/edition...
but no matter how often I go back to book list, this one never comes up. I switched on this page and it said I had switched. It switch editions and it did it - putting a check beside second book but then went back to my list and it wasn't there?

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Mar 15, 2013 01:17PM) (new)

rivka | 43589 comments Mod
You can only set it as primary from the book edit page (http://www.goodreads.com/book/edit/17...).

What you are doing is changing which edition is on your personal shelves. Any user can do that, and it has no affect on the primary edition of a work.

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Romaine (lynnromaine) | 14 comments Is there something else I should do? If I take the check mark away from the old edition on that home page it warns it deletes all reviews etc. and I don't want to do that. I want them combined! I have done everything I can think of - indicated on new one that it's primary. went there - looked good. Then went to my books and it was not there - and searching for Blind Spot Lynn Romaine only the old one still shows! Pleeze. I have a master's degree in information management and design and manage many web sites and this one is impossible. Please help me fix this. I am very persistent and will keep asking until it gets fixed so please advise.

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Romaine (lynnromaine) | 14 comments Ahh...that page never showed up - no matter how much I searched, I could not find that page- have set it and it work! Thanks!!!