Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - General > Does the setting or location of a book affect your reading choices?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 169 (169 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments Does the location/setting of a book factor in to your reading choices? If something is set in the Cotswolds is it an automatic read? Does NYC hold your attention better than Hollywood?

message 2: by Dipanjan (last edited Mar 15, 2013 05:24AM) (new)

Dipanjan | 50 comments Very much. When I am travelling, I always have a book which has a story set in that country. Example - I picked up my first Ian Rankin when I was going to Scotland.

When I am not travelling, I would still choose a book by saying "ok where do we go now and it HAS to be a different country"?

message 3: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 468 comments I enjoy reading books set in different countries very much, but I don't choose a book exclusively for that reason. The story and characters must be interesting.

message 4: by Dipanjan (last edited Mar 15, 2013 01:10AM) (new)

Dipanjan | 50 comments @ Scout - Of course. Story and characters is the primary filter. The location (for me) is a strong secondary filter.

message 5: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments I would imagine that most men in the group wouldn't want to read a book that primarily takes place at a wedding.

For a long time I wouldn't read anything set in Texas because that is were my father is from and I didn't care for him.

message 6: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) i never thought i would read anything thats set in space but gravity by tess gerritsen was so good i should try not to rule anything out

message 7: by Mel (new)

Mel (bullet123) The location doesn't really bother me, it's the plot which focuses my attention. Saying that though, if something is about my local area I will give it a go.

message 8: by Dipanjan (new)

Dipanjan | 50 comments @ Jenni - Yep, Scotland. Meant Scotland only. More specifically, Leith. I had Leith on my agenda.

message 9: by Dipanjan (new)

Dipanjan | 50 comments @ Jenni - Yep, but I was drawn to Leith not because of "nice in summer" factor. I was more curious about it as a mysterious waterfront port town with character.

message 10: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Amato (authorcarmenamato) | 23 comments I love mysteries set in different places, especially if the location translates into unique plot elements. I think that is why Steig Larsson and Henning Mankell's books set in Nordic countries have gained such a following.

I love Donna Leon's Inspector Brunetti series set in Venice and I hope folks like my own Emilia Cruz series set in Acapulco.

message 11: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments http://stopyourekillingme.com/Locatio...

Check out this list of books set in England.

Also here is a search for British dectectives from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_18_nr_...

message 12: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments Also this website lets you search for books by location..

https://www.smalldemons.com/places/ca...

Hope this helps

message 13: by Marie-Jo (new)

Marie-Jo Fortis | 35 comments Leigh wrote: "Does the location/setting of a book factor in to your reading choices? If something is set in the Cotswolds is it an automatic read? Does NYC hold your attention better than Hollywood?"

What matters more than the location is how the locale relates to the plot, how characters interact within that region. Perhaps because I am a writer myself.

message 14: by lilbit1836 (new)

lilbit1836  (lilbittx) being from Louisiana I love stories set in New Orleans...but anywhere a good mystery can be found I'm in....

message 15: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 136 comments Absolutely. I live for stories written about Britain, or mysteries set in Scandinavia, and stories set in Maine.

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 23 comments Leigh wrote: "Also this website lets you search for books by location..

https://www.smalldemons.com/places/ca...

Hope this helps"

Omigod, I could get lost in this site for days, weeks, months... *send in a search party!*

message 17: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments Glad I could help.

message 18: by James (new)

James Peyton | 20 comments Yes! I especially like to read books set in interesting foreign countries that I may never have time to visit.

message 19: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments You are most welcome Ashton.

message 20: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 56 comments It makes a difference. If it's set somewhere I've been it's so much more fun!

message 21: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 56 comments It makes a difference. If it's set somewhere I've been it's so much more fun!

message 22: by Dean (new)

Dean MacAllister (deanmacallister) Absolutely. Give me a book at the bottom of the ocean, in the middle of the desert, in dense jungle or out in space and I am hooked. I love to travel when reading.

message 23: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) I tend to gravitate to books set in European countries and the US. Coincidentally or not these. are all places I have traveled. I am fussy about time periods. Don't like WW II books or the flapper era . Not sure why.

message 24: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 219 comments Jenni wrote: "Dipanjan wrote: "Very much. When I am travelling, I always have a book which has a story set in that country. Example - I picked up my first Ian Rankin when I was going to Ireland.

When I am not t..."

There are quite a few irish authors lately producing some really good stories set here in Ireland. Tana French comes to mind first and have just finished The City of Shadows, by Michael Russell, set in Ireland and Germany. Really good read

message 25: by Karin (new)

Karin Corneau (steveburtonfan29) | 18 comments Yes, I do choose books based on their locale. Usually Ireland, Scotland and England locations grab my attention first, followed by other destinations I would like to travel to. I just read a book set in 1830's Scotland and loved it :)

message 26: by Malina (new)

Malina | 1844 comments Yes, I enjoy reading books set in places I am familiar with, it makes it more exciting,at least for me.

message 27: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine I am not much of a science fiction enthusiast, so I don't tend to enjoy books set in the future or with science type settings. I read a lot of history and nonfiction; therefore, I do find myself reading books with bleak settings quite often. Since I enjoy learning when I read, different settings offer a window on the world both past and present. It is a joy to read of people in different cultures and times.

message 28: by Sian (new)

Sian Kerr (sianekerr) I read book that are set all around the world but I do love reading the books by Peter James set in and around Brighton as it's my hometown. It's nice reading a book knowing exactly where the protagonist is and being able to picture it clearly in your head.

message 29: by Anirudh (new)

Anirudh (viscountanderson) | 8 comments It does have a significant bearing on my choice. I prefer it to be anywhere other than India - for I'm unlikely to learn anything new about a place in a country where I've been residing for more than a decade. I personally prefer novels with a British setting or even Europe is fine. While this happens to be a preference, it doesn't mean that I draw a line when it comes to others. But when I've two or more choices, that is when these preferences play a role

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (silversreviews) It does. I like books set in the UK and the US.

message 31: by David (new)

David Selcer | 7 comments The setting for my book DEADLY AUDIT is Columbus, Ohio, where I spent 35 years working, plus 3 years going to law school. I set the book in Columbus because the city has come of age and truly deserves to be considered a major city in the U.S. When I first arrived, people called it a "cow" town or a mere "college" town. Since then Columbus has developed a skyline, a personality, a character of its own with professional teams and cultural institutions, and national politicians, and it is no longer confused with other Columbuses, like the one in Georgia. DEADLY AUDIT is part of a series of 5 books--the Buckeye Barrister Mystery Series.

message 32: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2235 comments I prefer books set in the U.S. but wish more were set in places other than New York City and Los Angeles. I will read books set in other locales, but the writing, characters, and plot really have to capture my attention to keep me reading.

message 33: by VickiLee (new)

VickiLee | 251 comments I don't need a book to be in any specific location. Each one tends to have share something of interest. However, I quit reading a Lisa Unger series because each book took place in the winter, in the mountains right around Christmas and after 4 books with the same limited environment, I found it irritated me, so I stopped reading the series.

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 4741 comments Yes if it takes place in the area I live in I will read it even if the subject matter if not totally enthralling.

Or if it takes place in any Scandinavian country I am hooked.

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 4741 comments Cara Black from France I love you too!

message 36: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2235 comments David wrote: DAVE, read my book,DEADLY AUDIT, a Buckeye Barrister Mystery, and see what you think of the writing, character and plot.

Tell me more please.

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 43 comments Yes. I will automatically add a book to my reading list if the setting is either Minnesota or Massachusetts, both places where I have lived. I will also tend to add a MN author if it's in a genre I enjoy.
Lots of offworld and otherworld places too (I'm a fan of fantasy and sci fi).

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 4741 comments Yes I love all the Scandinavian books and any book on the state of Washington. Have you all read" The Orchardist". Absolutely wonderful.

And anything by Timonthy Egan!!!!!

message 39: by N (new)

N I love reading books from all over the world. Here in Australia it's so culturally diverse that second hand book shops are full of books from Africa, China, Asia, Europe, America and so on! I used to be a stickler for English or American books but now I'll read anything and be open minded. I find you learn so much more that way :)

message 40: by N (new)

N Book depository and ebay, don't do kindle. We have excellent 2nd hand book shops as new books are expensive.

message 41: by N (new)

N that is I don't do kindle - loads of people have kindles and other such book murdering stuff ; p

message 42: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (butbooksarebetter) @ Jenni - We also have wonderful libraries - I live in country WA but can order any book in through our great little town library.
As for kindle - we can order through Amazon US. It does make the reading addiction a bit more affordable, as a new book here retails for around $30 average.

message 43: by Laurence (new)

Laurence O'Bryan (goodreadscomlpobryan) | 2 comments I like stories from far off locations too. Sometimes I avoid stories about my home town. Is that boredom? Is anyone else like that?

Here's a Pinterest board of Irish crime/mystery authors. 90% of them write about Ireland:
http://pinterest.com/laurenceobryan/n...

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 4741 comments Jac wrote: "What does that word mean - Orchardist? Someone who distributes (delivers) Orchids?"

No it means someone who runs an orchard whether it be apples , cherries, peaches. A great great book!!!!

message 45: by John (new)

John Nardizzi | 4 comments Yes, I read Robert B. Parker first because I grew up in Boston and wanted to see it reflected in a crime novel.

Enjoy any book set in Italy (esp. Talented Mr. Ripley) and usually gain 5-10 pounds while reading them...

message 46: by Mel (new)

Mel (bullet123) The time the book is set affects my choice. I will read contemporary crime fiction, but I'm far more likely to hold onto those books set before the 1950's. Although I make an exception for the later Agatha Christie works.

message 47: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 4741 comments I always am drawn to Northwest settings for books. But that is only a minor criteria is my decision. Have spent the last couple years rather devoted to Scandinavian literature but am starting to branch out.

Cara Black is a new favorite of mine.

Will never be able to leave Henning Mankell!!

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate Diffley (katediffley) Yes, I like book set in England, Ireland WW II

message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 4741 comments Reminds me of the television show"Foyle's War" Was that based on a series of books?

message 50: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 43 comments Have you read the late Iain M. Banks' books? I read his literary fiction, under his real name without the M. Are the sci fi books as good?
"

I have not. My next audiobook is an Ian Banks one in honor of his recent death. Never read anything by him before.

« previous 1 3 4