Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Shardik
This topic is about Shardik
Policies & Practices > Define series

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Metaphorosis (metaphorosisreviews) | 55 comments How is 'series' defined? In particular, how close must the link between books be?
I've seen these posts:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...
But they don't really answer the question.

Case in point - I noticed that Richard Adams' Maia and Shardik are not linked in a series. They are placed in the same imaginary world, and have some overlap in characters. I think of them as being in the same series, but I could seem some arguing that the relationship is slight, and they're just books set in the same world. Is this a series?

message 2: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Books with a shared universe and/or characters definitely qualify as series, so it sounds as though your example would qualify.

Things that don't qualify as series are:

Imprints that do not have similar setting or characters - Harlequin Blaze, for example.

Collections such as Folger's Shakespeare Library or Penguin Classics where the collection is made up of stand alone titles.

message 3: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Loureiro (thanabur) | 7 comments I suppose those books can be regarded as being in a series. According to ISFDB they are: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?1018

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23145 comments For GR purposes they are considered collections and not series.

message 5: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Why would you classify them as a collection and not a series? I haven't read them did some research and they are both set in the Beklan Empire, which would qualify as shared universe to me.

I've also found references calling Maia a prequel to Shardik.

The books wouldn't necessarily need to be numbered brought I see no reason not to join them as a series.

message 6: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Agree with Vicky, but too full of flu to be eloquent like that! :)

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Vicky wrote: "The books wouldn't necessarily need to be numbered brought I see no reason not to join them as a series."

Agreed.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23145 comments Sandra wrote: "For GR purposes they are considered collections and not series."

Vicky wrote: "Why would you classify them as a collection and not a series? I haven't read them did some research and they are both set in the Beklan Empire, which would qualify as shared universe to me.

I've ..."

Sorry, I was referring to the Harlequin Blaze & Penguin Classics.

Metaphorosis (metaphorosisreviews) | 55 comments The consensus here (thanks, all) seems to be on series. Unfortunately, I can't edit the book pages, so I can't add this info. Could one of you create the series "Beklan Empire", with Maia as #1, and Shardik as #2?

Metaphorosis (metaphorosisreviews) | 55 comments Thanks. The books are actually sequential, if not closely tied. That raises the second question, of when books in a series should be numbered? Perhaps if they're not stand-alone books?

message 11: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Loureiro (thanabur) | 7 comments Books should belong to series either by publication date or by chronological order of events on them. In this case they should not be numbered but appear by order of publication.

message 12: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Loureiro (thanabur) | 7 comments Red, considering that Maia is a sort of prequel I think that ordering it by internal (storywise) chronological sequence makes sense.

message 13: by Vicky (last edited Mar 17, 2013 06:29PM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments I would leave them in publishing order and not in the series description that the books are based in the same universe with Maia taking place as a prequel.

ETA: I added a note on the series to that effect.