Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion


514 views
Arent Harry and Voldemort related?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Michael Harry inherited the invisibility cloak from his father and Voldemort inherited the resurrection stone from his mother these were two of the deathly Hallows and each of the 3 siblings had one,so if both item were passed down through the family doesn't that mean that Harry and Voldemort are related


Dionna All pure-bloods are related in someway, just like the royal family. Incest is the only way to keep the blood pure.


Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ Michael wrote: "Harry inherited the invisibility cloak from his father and Voldemort inherited the resurrection stone from his mother these were two of the deathly Hallows and each of the 3 siblings had one,so if ..."

The only thing that Harry and Voldemort have in common is the ability to speak to snakes. The Deathly Hallows were passed down thru the generations of witches and wizard but you learn more about this thru reading the book.


Dionna Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Michael wrote: "Harry inherited the invisibility cloak from his father and Voldemort inherited the resurrection stone from his mother these were two of the deathly Hallows and each of the 3 sibling..."
According to Serius Black, all pure-bloods are related. He is related to Molly Weasley.


Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ Dionna wrote: "Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Michael wrote: "Harry inherited the invisibility cloak from his father and Voldemort inherited the resurrection stone from his mother these were two of the death..."

I'm not arguing that because it's true but the Deathly Hallows follow the generations of Pure Bloods.


Dionna Right, and Voldemort's mother's side is pure blood, hence resurrection stone, as is Harry's father's side, hence invisibility cloak.


message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The invisibility cloak is the only sure thing that was passed down through the family. The stone and the wand went through a lot of different hands of a lot of different families.


Dionna Nicole di Angelo wrote: "The invisibility cloak is the only sure thing that was passed down through the family. The stone and the wand went through a lot of different hands of a lot of different families."

According to legend, Antioch's throat was slit in his sleep the night after winning his first duel with the Elder Wand. He had boasted of its power, and someone coveted the wand enough to kill him for it. It is unknown if Antioch was really murdered, though given the Elder Wand's violent history it seems likely, or if he had any descendants.

The legend also says that Cadmus committed suicide after using the Resurrection Stone to bring back his beloved (who had died an untimely death), having found the experience completely unfulfilling. Not only was Cadmus's beloved an echo of herself in life (q.v. Harry's parents, Sirius Black, and Remus Lupin as they appeared to Harry before facing Voldemort in the Forbidden Forest), she found the world of the living uncomfortable and wished to return to the afterlife. However given the Gaunts appear to be descended from Cadmus, as they possessed the Stone, it would seem Cadmus lived long enough to at the very least sire children, and it is likely that his beloved, who had died an untimely death, may have died in childbirth.

Apparently, Ignotus lived a long and fulfilling life, and, having decided to elude Death no longer, passed the cloak on to his own son. He joined Death and welcomed him as a brother. His lineage is the easiest of the brothers' to trace, as the cloak would continue to be handed down from parent to child through the generations finally coming into Harry's possession.

Dumbledore believed it far more likely the three Peverells were the creators of the Hallows and the legend to be merely a story partially inspired by their nature, which would accout for how Cadmus sired a child despite the legend implying he comitted suicide relatively soon after obtaining the stone.


Dionna Peverell family
Family heritage
Blood status

Pure-blood
Notable family members

Ignotus Peverell
Antioch Peverell
Cadmus Peverell

Status

Extinct in male line
Relationships
Related families

House of Gaunt
Riddle family
Potter family
Slytherin family (possibly)

Affiliation
House(s)

Gryffindor (possibly)
Slytherin (possibly)


Sophie Here's the thing-

Putting a drop of ink in a bucket is a lot more potent than dropping it in a pool.

So, Harry and Voldemort are/might be related, but it is so far apart that the connection is barely there. Voldemort and Harry are drops of ink, and the rest of the (magical/muggle) world is a pool :)


Michael Sophie wrote: "Here's the thing-

Putting a drop of ink in a bucket is a lot more potent than dropping it in a pool.

So, Harry and Voldemort are/might be related, but it is so far apart that the connection is ba..."


Yes,but that would still me they are related,cousins arent exacly very much blood releated either,and when you consider that the items were passe dthrough generations that would be a diluted bloodline,but related all the same.


Michael Dionna wrote: "Right, and Voldemort's mother's side is pure blood, hence resurrection stone, as is Harry's father's side, hence invisibility cloak."

Voldemorts mother is supposidly related to Salazar Slytherin,so its highly likely that slytherin was related to the brother who had the resserection stone,and its basically a fact that harry is related to the brother who had the invisibility cloak,so if this is the case they must be related,i just cant understand why JK wouldnt elaborate.Also the deathly hallows werent passed down through pureblood familys,i mean sure both were purbloods but the elder wand is the only hallow to get passed on to different familys considering it was stolen.


Michael Plus JK never said that incest was the way of pureblood familys(i mean you have to consider this is a book marketed in the childrens section)Purebloods familys are made when wizards have children with other wizards,not having children with people in your own family.Look at the malfoys,Dracos mother is Sirius Blacks cousin not a malfoy,and the malfoys are suppose to be a very high standing pureblood family,so i dont think that purbloods are marketed through incest.


Dionna Michael wrote: "Plus JK never said that incest was the way of pureblood familys(i mean you have to consider this is a book marketed in the childrens section)Purebloods familys are made when wizards have children w..."

Children may not understand what adults do. In order to remain pure-blood, like European royalty, you must inter-marry family members. All of the above information that I provided is from JK Rowling so...


Michael I dont think so,like i said malfoys didnt marry malfoys,nether did the wesleys,no one saw ron marry his sister,and they are both big pureblood familys,nether did the blacks,also i have never heard of JK saying such a thing,i doubt she ever would say something like that,becuase its still a childrens book,something marketing incest wouldnt be in the childrens section,not even in teens i think.


Dionna Dionna wrote: "Cousin's are relatives as well."


Michael Dionna wrote: "Cousin are relatives as well."

What does cousins have to do with what i said,the malfoys and the blacks arent cousins,dracos mother married into the malfoys,but bein gblood related to her sister and cousin to sirius.The weasly dont marry cousins either,rons mother wasnt a weasly.And the notion to only purebloods being made up of incest is perposterous,because many wizards are muggle born then if they have a child with a wizard they are pureblood,suxch as harry whos mother was muggle born.Wizards could very very have evolved from muggles as muggle borns prove,there would be no need for incest,and such a term is not ever said whitin the books to marry family members and JK has never said anything about this,once again this is marketed for children how many parents would let their children read a book if they though incest was promoted,i have been a potter fan since 2002 and ive never heard a notion.


Dionna You are mistaken. A person is pure-blood ONLY when both parents are pure-blood. You are half-blood when one parent is pure and the other is muggle. You are muggle born when NEITHER parent is witch/wizard. Voldemart is half-blood, Harry is half-blood, Snape is half-blood, Dumbledore is half-blood. Neville, Ron, Malfoy are pure-bloods.


Michael Harry is a pure blood,his father was a pure blood wizard and his mother was a muggle born.The child of 2 muggle borns is a pureblood,they come from 2 wizarding parents.


Dionna Michael wrote: "Dionna wrote: "Cousin are relatives as well."

What does cousins have to do with what i said,the malfoys and the blacks arent cousins,dracos mother married into the malfoys,but bein gblood related ..."


Must everything be spelled out for you? Can you not use deductive reasoning and come about the obvious conclusion on your own? I take it that you are probably young and a naive to the ways of the the world still.


Michael Me being naive,i just spelled it out to you,no one married their cousins.


Dionna Michael wrote: "Harry is a pure blood,his father was a pure blood wizard and his mother was a muggle born.The child of 2 muggle borns is a pureblood,they come from 2 wizarding parents."
You are wrong. His mother is a muggle, therefore, he cannot be pure-blood.


Michael His mother is a wizard,but a muggle born one,a purebred wizard is one coming from 2 wizard parents.


message 24: by M.R. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M.R. Graham There probably is a lot of endogamy going on, but incest is defined by cultural norms. If it's not frowned upon, it's not considered incest. So while there may be a lot of inbreeding to keep power and wealth within older families, it's not likely that the purebloods themselves consider it incest, just like the British peerage doesn't consider it incest to marry someone who had the same great-grandmother.
A long, long history of marrying moderately-close relatives could explain a few things, though - like the fact that pureblood families tend to be a bit strange. The Weaslies are good people, but they're all just a little bit off. The Malfoys are all complete lunatics, as are the Blacks.


Dionna M.R. wrote: "There probably is a lot of endogamy going on, but incest is defined by cultural norms. If it's not frowned upon, it's not considered incest. So while there may be a lot of inbreeding to keep power ..."
The Blacks are not all complete lunatics. Whether or not you call interbreeding incest or not, it is. It's just a matter of attempting to make it appear as if it isn't by changing the word.


Michael Im not saying that incest couldnt have happened,just like humans im sure wizards have done it to,but my point is it is not advertised that the only purebloods marry within there family,its not a normal thing,and the malfoys,the blacks,and the weasly husbands or wives are not related to them currently,it could have happened some time ago.But its not nessacary nor needed for a pureblood family,a malfoy could marry a black and keep the blood pure,draco is the result,or if any 2 wizard have a child they would be pure even if one of the wizards is muggle born


Dionna Michael wrote: "His mother is a wizard,but a muggle born one,a purebred wizard is one coming from 2 wizard parents."
You are still wrong. Pure-blood is the term applied to wizards and witches who have no Muggle blood, Muggle borns, or half-bloods at all in their genealogical pedigree. Harry is half-blood because Lily is muggle-born. I've had enough of this, because, you refuse to admit that you are incorrect or either you truly do not understand difference, either way, have a good day.


Michael And by the way this isnt Game Of Thrones.


Dionna Michael wrote: "And by the way this isnt Game Of Thrones."

Not even close. However, pure-bloods are all related due to incest and interbreeding whether you like it or not.


message 30: by M.R. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M.R. Graham Dionna wrote: "M.R. wrote: "There probably is a lot of endogamy going on, but incest is defined by cultural norms. If it's not frowned upon, it's not considered incest. So while there may be a lot of inbreeding t..."

No, actually. Inbreeding is the result of a restricted gene pool. Incest is the practice of marrying and reproducing with someone who is culturally considered too closely related to be acceptable. Its definition varies from culture to culture. It doesn't even have to take place between blood relatives, if the culture considers adopted siblings to be "too close." So what you may consider incest (reproducing with a cousin?) the wizards may not. Inbreeding almost certainly happens, because that's the most common mechanism for keeping prestige within families. Considering that Harry and Voldemort both come from pureblood families (though neither is themselves a pureblood), they probably are related in some way, but maybe not closer than four or five degrees of separation.


Dionna M.R. wrote: "Dionna wrote: "M.R. wrote: "There probably is a lot of endogamy going on, but incest is defined by cultural norms. If it's not frowned upon, it's not considered incest. So while there may be a lot ..."
Who decided what is too closely related to be acceptable or unacceptable, a person who wanted to marry a cousin? Incest/interbreeding was always a mechanism to keep money/property within the confines of the family. Nothing more.

It begs to reason it is the same in Harry Potter, as the pure-bloods are among the wealthiest within the wizarding world.


Steve Morin Pure/Half blood is not relevant. Back to the original Question "Aren't Harry and Voldemort related? "

The Cloak was handed down to Harry from one of the brothers.
The Stone was handed down to Tom Riddle's grandfather, Gault, from another of the brothers.
Therefore, they are both descendents of the brothers' father.
No matter how many generations have gone by, they are still related!


Dionna Steve wrote: "Pure/Half blood is not relevant. Back to the original Question "Aren't Harry and Voldemort related? "

The Cloak was handed down to Harry from one of the brothers.
The Stone was handed down to Tom..."

Which is what was said.


Maddie Tiare Technically, yes, they're related somewhere their family trees, but you could say that for a lot of people. If you're a descendant of John Alden, congratulations, we're related!


Aliya Michael wrote: "Harry inherited the invisibility cloak from his father and Voldemort inherited the resurrection stone from his mother these were two of the deathly Hallows and each of the 3 siblings had one,so if ..."

Yes Harry inherited the invisibility cloak but,He was the master of death since he was the true owner of the tree objects.But even so this does not mean that Harry and Tom are related. Yes you can say that they were distantly from the Peverell family but nothing more or less.


Hunter Phillips Harry and Voldemort only have a few similarties: both can speak to snakes because Voldemort give Harry a piece of his soul,both share the same wand so.


message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

so distantly that it hardly makes a difference, they are more related through their wand cores than anything else


message 38: by C (last edited Mar 21, 2013 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C Michael wrote: "Harry inherited the invisibility cloak from his father and Voldemort inherited the resurrection stone from his mother these were two of the deathly Hallows and each of the 3 siblings had one,so if ..."

Yes, it does. I think they're both descended from Slytherin. Jo states that the Peverells lived in the 1200s. Hogwarts was built around 900 A.D. (McGonagall says, "The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the Wizarding World for ten centuries," in 1994. 1994-(10x100)= 994. Therefore, Slytherin must've been alive around then). Since Harry and Voldemort are both descended from the Peverells, there's a strong likelihood that the Peverells were, in turn descended from Salazar Slytherin. That, or Cadmus Peverell married a descendant of Slytherin's, and Harry's side of the Peverells (Ignotus) was not linked genetically to Slytherin.


The_Halfblood_Muslim ya they r in some way cuz voldi made harry one of his soul parts
4got watt they were called


message 40: by Ashley (last edited Mar 22, 2013 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley I always thought so. I mean, if you want to believe that Voldemort was a descendant of one of the Peverell brothers and Harry was a descendant of another Peverell brother as it was implied in the book, then yes, they are very distantly related. However, Arthur Weasley is distantly related to Sirius Black, so it's not like this is at all weird.


message 41: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew Technically, everyone is related to each other. At the most distant, they were fiftieth cousins. I saw a video on it on YouTube about it.


message 42: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Technically, they are related. However, since Muggle-borns are somewhat rare, most wizards are related to each other somehow. The Peverell brothers were in the middle ages anyway, so it's not like they're cousins or something.


Kristen Technically, yes they are. But it's such a distant relation, that it's virtually nonexistent. You could argue that all people are related to each other, but the connection is so far back that it doesn't matter.


Klara Monika They are. The original Peverell brothers who owned the Deathly Hallows are their ancestors, because Harry inherited the cloak and Voldemort stole the ring (stone) from his father / grandfather. Voldemort's mother is pure blood and James Potter also.


Klara Monika Keshena wrote: "Harry and Ginny are related too. It's widely speculated that the Charlus Potter and Dorea Black who appear on the official Black family tree are Harry's grandparents. Ginny is related to the Blacks..."

But then the Weasleys are everywhere, I must say?


message 46: by Jessica (new)

Jessica hey i was just wondering. marvolo gaunt has the resurrection stone but he doesnt know what it really is and voldemort's mom has slytherin's locket. does this mean that gaunts are descendants of both slytherin and perevell? if its so then voldemort is too. harry and voldemort are related if gaunts are descendants of cadmus perevell and harry is descendant of ignotus perevell.


message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica hey i was just wondering. marvolo gaunt has the resurrection stone but he doesnt know what it really is and voldemort's mom has slytherin's locket. does this mean that gaunts are descendants of both slytherin and perevell? if its so then voldemort is too. harry and voldemort are related if gaunts are descendants of cadmus perevell and harry is descendant of ignotus perevell.


message 48: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Rose Michael wrote: "Me being naive,i just spelled it out to you,no one married their cousins."

not true...Sirius Black's parents were cousins,it was very common in the older Black generations to marry cousins....not siblings though


message 49: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Rose And just to clear this up Harry Potter is a Half-blood. James Potter is a pureblood, born from to pureblood parents. Lily is a mudblood born from two muggle parents meaning no matter how many kids she has it's impossible for her to give birth to a pureblood.


message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Dionna wrote: "Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Michael wrote: "Harry inherited the invisibility cloak from his father and Voldemort inherited the resurrection stone from his mother these were t..."

but harry's not pure blood how's he the master of death


« previous 1
back to top