Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Vain (The Seven Deadly, #1)
This topic is about Vain
Book Cover Help > Help with and Questioning book covers for this one

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 14, 2013 06:06PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Although absolutely every edition of this book has what looks like exact same bookcovers, the edition fields reference "old covers" and "new covers" (I know that's not valid in edition field).

I'm guessing there was at one time an attempt to create alternate cover edition librarian notes that instead got "new cover" put in edition field, some usual alternate cover notes and some combos.

Somehow the new cover editions all somehow have isbn/bnid/asin numbers.

Between the amount of changes in covers, isbns, and assorted librarian notes — I'm not sure what changes need to be reverted.

Anyone else have advice, see differences in bookcovers (late night, tired eyes) or see all the same, or have a handle on the isbns?

Already quite a few librarian edits so did not want to butt into something already being handled.

message 2: by Vicky (last edited Mar 14, 2013 06:42PM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments It looks like the "old cover" has the title in a slightly pinker shade, while the "new cover" is slightly more purple.

If you look at the other editions box from this edition (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...) the two on the left are pinker and the two on the right are purpley. It's not as easy to compare them when looking at the big images.

message 3: by Banjomike (last edited Mar 14, 2013 07:09PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments This looks like an older version:
http://courtneycolewrites.com/2012/11...
VERY different. I prefer the new version:
http://bianca2b.files.wordpress.com/2...

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Initially I stumbled across editing out isbn10 on nook edition with bnid 294#. Seeing "new cover" in edition field, threw me because while I assumed meant alternate cover edition it still had the isbn numbers.

I am going to revert changes on just that edition to see if an older cover buried underneath and if any isbn info got switched around.

message 5: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 14, 2013 07:33PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) And, there was a cover overwrite for that one (checking page number changes also; usually nook editions are continuous text) olus had changed the invalid "old cover" and "new cover" edition info back and forth. Isbn/bnid was not changed until I edited out the isbn10.

Did I do right to revert image to what now shows?

message 6: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 14, 2013 07:35PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) The nook edition is continuous text (usually has page number "0") and paperback edition shows 392 (most sites).

On the goodreads data page has had some page number changes already. I do not have book in hand myself to see actual pages and I know not to use bookseller site data.

I'm suspicious that "329 pages" might be a typo of the paperback's "392 pages" with the numbers just transposed.

Without book in hand or someone more experienced weighing in, leaving page numbers alone.

message 7: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 15, 2013 02:32PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Doesn't look like I'm stepping on any librarian toes working on this one so going to correct other editions as well.

No one will hurt my feelings if they look over my shoulder and correct anything I might be doing wrong.

Not as bad as I thought when I suspected isbns had also been moved around (isbn on an edition marked "new cover" had me suspect)—but a whole lot of librarian fingers adding new images, reverting the add, someone else add new image, next librarian revert type of things going on.

I stuck big "don't change covers" librarian notes; maybe will work or maybe next adding new cover librarian will also just clear the note. For good measure, linked to cover policy in the librarian note. Not at all offended if Rivka or some higher up wants to change the notes.

Fisher Amelie (fisheramelie) | 1 comments Howdy, looking to see why my covers keep getting changed. The new cover is the singular girl but it keeps changing to the old cover with the couple. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

message 9: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 21, 2013 05:30PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Covers cannot be changed. If you have a new cover, a new edition (alternate cover edition) gets made.

Once alternate cover edition made, authors can set which cover they want to be primary (meaning which edition is featured on author page, shows first in searches, series, etc.). To set primary edition, on book page of edition wanted click "edit details" and midway down righthand side you'll see the menu choice to set as primary.

Changing the cover of an existing edition is a violation of Goodreads policy. Link to that policy in librarians manual (help topics) is http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/85... ; link to re-emphasize in librarians group author FAQs is http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 10: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Fisher wrote: "Howdy, looking to see why my covers keep getting changed. The new cover is the singular girl but it keeps changing to the old cover with the couple. Can anyone help me? Thanks!"

Fisher, did you create a new edition for the new cover?

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Alternate cover editions were already created. I think this author has goodreads librarian status and keeps changing the covers despite librarian notes and the number of times cover changes get revoked.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Guys!!! I am here representing Fisher. The picture at the top is her old cover, and she wants the new cover on the page. Can someone please explain to me how we can get the cover on it, or at the very least have the new cover being the main edition that comes up on her author page. Fisher is not trying to disobey rules, she just isn't understanding the issue.

message 13: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 21, 2013 06:09PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) She can go to the edition she wants to feature on her page and set it as the primary edition.

Screenshot of where on the edit screen that menu choice is (see second option up from bottom right above refresh option):
screenshot setting primary edition

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

How do you do this? I apologize for my ignorance

message 15: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Tamara wrote: "How do you do this? I apologize for my ignorance"

An author can choose to make the new cover into the default/primary cover from the book edit page.

This is the procedure for setting the default edition of a book:
i) Go to the book page of the edition you wish to become the default/primary edition.
ii) Click "edit details" below the book's description.
iii) On the right side of the page about halfway down, click "Set this book as the primary edition for this work".

On a similar topic, I've reverted some of the cover changes you have made to books.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Banjomike wrote: "Tamara wrote: "How do you do this? I apologize for my ignorance"

An author can choose to make the new cover into the default/primary cover from the book edit page.

This is the procedure for setti..."

I looked.. and I am not seeing it. Could one of you please do it. Here is the one we need made into the primary edition- http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

Also, "On a similar topic, I've reverted some of the cover changes you have made to books. ", was this directed at me?

message 17: by Banjomike (last edited Mar 21, 2013 06:12PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Tamara wrote: "I looked.. and I am not seeing it. Could one of you please do it. Here is the one we need made into the primary edition- http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

Also, "On a similar topic, I've reverted some of the cover changes you have made to books. ", was this directed at me? "

You won't see the option, it is author-only.

Yes, the edits to Captivated by Sophie Davis were reverted. And don't change an author name like that. It is not allowed. Like the cover changes are not allowed.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) @Tamara, only the author can do it. Librarians cannot. If author cannot, she'll need to contact staff and let them know which edition to set as primary (only author and staff can set the primary).

message 19: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 21, 2013 06:18PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) "Only the author can do it" = meaning setting the primary edition.

Some set to the newest cover edition, their biggest selling edition, the one they get the most royalties from ... Whatever. It's the author's preference and if they do not set, then goodreads uses the most popular edition on goodreads as the primary.

To contact staff use the form at http://www.goodreads.com/about/contac... or email support@goodreads.com.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks guys

message 21: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 21, 2013 06:26PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Tamara wrote: "..Also, "On a similar topic, I've reverted some of the cover changes you have made to books. ", was this directed at me? ..."

Banjomike might have meant me because they were helping me figure out change logs and image uploads or you if you have changed/overwrote/updated any existing covers.

The only time (see librarian manual and author faq and assorted discussion threads) librarians change bookcovers are when the thumbnail bug hits that makes an image not display correctly, when someone uploaded a bookseller cover (like the orange look inside kindle cover from amazon), a better quality image of the exact same bookcover, wrong cover was put on wrong isbn number, cover said draft/coming-soon or clearly some other un-/pre-published cover...(and except for thumbnail bug or better image, a good idea to leave a comment or note explaining so next editor doesn't revoke the change by habit).

If a book, even an ebook, was ever published with a cover, it stays. Goodreads has no product pages to update; tracks every edition whether or not still available.

message 22: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 21, 2013 06:37PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) That goes for editions as well, not just book covers. If published it stays. Even if author pulls back from a publisher or bookseller (possibly because going exclusive to amazon kdp program, legal wrangles, ... whatever the reason it stays). If published, it stays.

So no deleting published editions or bookcovers. Goodreads is not a bookseller so does not create a conflict with any bookseller exclusive agreements like the amazon kdp select program.

message 23: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 23, 2013 01:28PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Looks like the alternate cover edition for Vain did get correctly set as primary edition (just checked).

message 24: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Tamara has gone. A deleted user.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I think that was just an account used to change "her" authors' books.