The Sword and Laser discussion

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
This topic is about The Way of Kings
What Else Are You Reading? > The Way of Kings reread on tor.com

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Katrina | 32 comments Hey everyone!

I just wanted to point out that tor.com is doing a reread of The Way of Kings . I'm really excited to read along and get ready for the second installment, Words of Radiance. There is also an ebook version on sale for $2.99.

Who else is going to participate?

terpkristin | 4132 comments I only read the book about 6 months ago so I'm not going to re-read it. That said, I'm looking forward to reading the blog posts (I guess NOT on Google Reader) to see what they say.

Brian (brianvh) | 11 comments I've been wanting to re-listen to the Audible version. Maybe this is a good way to do so and follow along with the re-read posts.

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6753 comments Mod
I still haven't gotten around to reading it the first time. I have it sitting on my shelf (it's only been there a few weeks).

I'm hoping to get to it soon.

message 6: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina (javabird) | 683 comments I got it, but do I need to read Mistborn first?

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments No they are unconnected series

Eric (eawortman) | 15 comments Thanks for the link. I had not gotten around to purchasing or starting it yet. I may read it soon though, almost done with Wheel of Time series.

Rainer Dela Cuesta (delacuesta) | 28 comments I read the book quickly a couple of months ago, so I will definite participate to refresh myself for the re-read!

And thank goodness for the eBook sale, TWoK hardcover is heavy!!

message 10: by Benj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Benj | 1 comments Christopher wrote: "No they are unconnected series"

Well, technically all of Brandon Sanderson's books exist in the same universe (though not on the same planets), so there are connections, just not significant plot based ones.

message 11: by Dara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I have this to read but I don't think I'll pariticpate. Do want to read it before book 2 comes out though.

terpkristin | 4132 comments For anybody who ends up reading it, be aware that it starts a little slowly/confusingly. I thought it was just me at first (I was reading it while still on a lot of medication while recovering from back surgery) but I had some other friends say the same. Once you get a little bit in, though, it starts making sense. Don't worry if you don't "get" everything yet...you will.

message 13: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

terpkristin wrote: "For anybody who ends up reading it, be aware that it starts a little slowly/confusingly. I thought it was just me at first (I was reading it while still on a lot of medication while recovering from..."

I read the first 160 pages or so yesterday. I didn't find it either slow or confusing.

Then again I just got done reading a Malazan book, so by comparison almost nothing seems confusing these days...

Terry Simpson | 26 comments I'll be following along and rereading again as I can. Got the ebook for 2.99 on top of already having the hardcover. That 2.99 price was well worth it. One of my favorite books so far and can't wait for Words of Radiance.

Devon | 3 comments This has been on my to-read list. Thanks for letting me know about the sale price!

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2469 comments The hardback may be massive and really heavy, but it's an amazingly produced book. If you get the eBook, make sure you take a look at the hi-res illustrations available on Brandon's website. The ones in the eBook are okay, but you cannot really make out most of the writing and notes on them. They are not just there for eye candy, they do add something to the story.

message 17: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

AndrewP wrote: "The hardback may be massive and really heavy, but it's an amazingly produced book. "

Yeah. I'm impressed at all the artwork including some color maps, and what I'm guessing is some kind of magic chart (please don't explain it to me).

Plus all the sketches Andrew mentions.

AND there is a sword imprinted into the actual book cover (ie under the dust cover).

The only other books I have of this high quality are the Grant Hardcover editions of the Dark Tower books.