Bookoholics discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
Discussed > The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hoda Marmar (bibliomanic) | 62 comments Mod
I thought it was well written in the descriptive parts, but the author didn't delve deep into the characters, the story was meh! It is pretty overrated, I believe.

Sarah | 1 comments Yes, the descriptive parts were nicely written but long. The story overall was boring. Like 3 things happen in the whole book! The rest is just pretty descriptions and flowers :)

Rayane | 1 comments This is fun :) http://greatgatsbygame.com/
I read the book a while ago and loved the author's style, but honestly I don't remember much of the plot because I wasn't following it. I just liked the language a lot and the book has some beautiful passages and quotations.

I agree with you, Sarah. There was nothing much going on in the novel.
Rayane, yes, the author can write some descriptive parts beautifully, but it was uneventful in terms of story line. Very funny link :)

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

“And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.”

“I wasn't actually in love, but I felt a sort of tender curiosity.”

“He smiled understandingly-much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced--or seemed to face--the whole eternal world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey.”

“There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired.”

“Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope.”

“The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.”

“I was within and without. Simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.

― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby