Mic Breaks Only discussion

A Wild Sheep Chase (The Rat, #3)
This topic is about A Wild Sheep Chase
Posts Gone By > Wild Sheep: Page 0: Links & Notions

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew, Wound Up (last edited Mar 14, 2013 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 343 comments This topic should have NO spoilers. Feel free to discuss your preconceptions/notions about the book here. Also, open discussion of:

* The cover:
A Wild Sheep Chase (The Rat, #3) by Haruki Murakami A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami Wilde Schafsjagd by Haruki Murakami A Wild Sheep Chase (Contemporary Fiction, Plume) by Haruki Murakami A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami Em Busca do Carneiro Selvagem by Haruki Murakami La Course au mouton sauvage by Haruki Murakami Nel segno della pecora by Haruki Murakami De jacht op het verloren schaap by Haruki Murakami A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami La caza del carnero salvaje by Haruki Murakami Nel segno della pecora by Haruki Murakami Suuri lammasseikkailu by Haruki Murakami Wilde Schafsjagd by Haruki Murakami Преследване на дива овца by Haruki Murakami În căutarea oii fantastice by Haruki Murakami A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami Охота на овец by Haruki Murakami แกะรอยแกะดาว by Haruki Murakami Cuộc săn cừu hoang by Haruki Murakami Yaban Koyununun İzinde by Haruki Murakami Hon na ovcu by Haruki Murakami Hitsuji O Meguru Bōken by Haruki Murakami În căutarea oii fantastice by Haruki Murakami Avies medžioklė by Haruki Murakami Aitas medīšanas piedzīvojumi by Haruki Murakami Wilde Schafsjagd by Haruki Murakami Lov na divlju ovcu by Haruki Murakami Suuri lammasseikkailu by Haruki Murakami Охота на овец by Haruki Murakami Przygoda z owcą by Haruki Murakami Rozhdestvo Ovtsy by Haruki Murakami La course au mouton sauvage by Haruki Murakami En vild fårejagt by Haruki Murakami În căutarea oii fantastice by Haruki Murakami Przygoda z owcą by Haruki Murakami De jacht op het verloren schaap by Haruki Murakami La Course Au Mouton Sauvage by Haruki Murakami De jacht op het verloren schaap by Haruki Murakami Охота на овец by Haruki Murakami La Course Au Mouton Sauvage by Haruki Murakami Hitsuji O Meguru Boken by Haruki Murakami Охота на овец by Haruki Murakami Avies medžioklė by Haruki Murakami Caçando Carneiros by Haruki Murakami 尋羊冒險記 by Haruki Murakami 寻羊冒险记 by Haruki Murakami Wilde Schafsjagd Roman by Haruki Murakami Lov na divlju ovcu by Haruki Murakami Hon na ovcu by Haruki Murakami Охота на овец by Haruki Murakami

I'll be making categories for chapter sets soon. The official start date for reading is April 1st (no fooling).

A Wild Sheep Chase e-book purchase links:

Kindle: amazon.com:

A Wild Sheep Chase (Currently $11.99)

Nook: barnesandnoble.com:

A Wild Sheep Chase (Currently $11.99)

message 2: by Andrew, Wound Up (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 343 comments I love Murakami and I'm ready to dive into another one of his novels.

My passion for Murakami is partially driven by his ability to capture a magic or surrealism in each of his novels.

I will admit that I am feeling a bit creeped out as I try to look at some details in these sheep filled covers. You could have a Where's Waldo game with this collection. Covers with no sheep? (I count two, and one more with just a piece of wool). My favorite may be the multi colored sheep with stars on the blue sections).

If a person were given this collection of book covers would they even recognize them all as the same book? What type of book would they think it is? These covers are individually evocative of horror, drama, gumshoe/mystery, science fiction, and bizarro novels.

message 3: by Michelle, Overrun By Pets (last edited Mar 14, 2013 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michelle Finazzo | 281 comments I am overwhelmed by the number of covers for this book. I have the first book cover listed, it looks classic and doesn't seem to give away too much of the story.

The creepiest by far to me is the 3rd row, 6th in with the man holding up a sheep mask or sheep head on a stick, I have a strong visceral reaction against it.

There are two covers that appeal to me in a pop-culture way. My favorite is 2nd row, 6th in. It reminds me of modern pop art and Andy Warhol. It is a funky cross between the shape of a sheep and the colors of a parrot. I also quite like the cover 2nd row, 8th in. It is Hitchcockian in nature and I just love me some Alfred Hitchcock.

I didn't spend a lot of time perusing all of the covers, so I may have missed some gems.

I have to admit that I have been a bit hesitant to read Haruki Murakami because my husband is an uber-fan and I'm concerned I won't be as passionate about it. Although I am not one for reading reviews in advance, I do normally read those reviews that are included in the book itself. I noted the reference to Thomas Pynchon in two of the book reviews. I have read both Mason and Dixon and V., so maybe I will be prepared to read Murakami after all. I really liked the review from The New Yorker and the review from Harper's Bazaar.