Ask Suzanne Palmieri discussion

Writing/Reading and WAITING!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Palmieri (suzylostwitch) | 39 comments Mod
Hello! So the next thing I was wondering about other writers and readers (and I'm both of those!) is how we feel about publishing and waiting. If you are a writer, and you choose traditional publishing as I have, it usually takes about 18 months from the accepted manuscript to end up on the shelves. While I wait, I write! What do you do? Also, for you writers who are still in the query trenches, are you waiting on news about your novel, or are you working on a new project?

This next question is for readers. When you've read a book and fallen in love with it, only to find out that the next book by the author won't be out for another year (or more...) do you forget about that author? Or are you just as excited when that next book comes out? I can't wait to hear your answers!

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica (ekgo) | 11 comments You already know how much I hate waiting for a book to come out because I just told you.

Prior to Goodreads, I'd keep up with authors via their websites or with their publishers or whatever they had going. If there was no online resource for the author, I'd find other websites that tracked author information, for instance, places like Ain't It Cool follow geeky authors, announce when their books are coming out or when their books are being made into movies, etc.
Before that (waaaay back in the '80s), I just had to ask bookstores to call me when the next book I was waiting for was available.
Now, I follow the authors I like here on Goodreads and I get an update sent to my email address whenever anything interesting happens, from a new blog post to a new book being released.

And while I wait, I just have to peruse bookshelves to see what else is out there and what else I can get hooked on. Of course, working at a library, that's pretty easy for me.

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

HA! I probably should have given you the credit for making me think of this question!!!!!!!!! I used to ache over waiting for a new Stephen king to come out. JUST ACHE.

Erica wrote: "You already know how much I hate waiting for a book to come out because I just told you.

Prior to Goodreads, I'd keep up with authors via their websites or with their publishers or whatever they h..."

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica (ekgo) | 11 comments Yeah, don't start on the George R. R. Martin books, then. The waiting is long and horrible, worse than the pain everyone went through during the ten years they had to wait for whatever Diana Gabaldon book was supposed to be coming out.

Normally, I don't mind waiting for books. The anxiety is sort of fun and it is fodder for great conversations and even some arguments. But in YOUR case? I think the waiting might kill me because it is such a different animal. I'm not waiting to find out what is going to happen next. I'm waiting to find out...well, pretty much what it's going to be like for really real.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Erica wrote: "Yeah, don't start on the George R. R. Martin books, then. The waiting is long and horrible, worse than the pain everyone went through during the ten years they had to wait for whatever Diana Gabald..."

NOW? Now I have to read George. Thanks. ;)

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica (ekgo) | 11 comments Yeah...I wouldn't. It's just going to make you need counseling.
I'm actually surprised there's not a giant Game of Thrones counseling group where we can all go for therapy and treatment after each gut-wrenching book.
And that explains why I like my magic sweet and non-deadly and full of sisters who love each other, not kill each other.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

I can't get over how alike we are!!!

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica (ekgo) | 11 comments Suzanne wrote: "I can't get over how alike we are!!!"

Oh, we probably have a common ancestor, probably one in the New England area. Well, no, maybe down south. I don't remember where my relatives who got in trouble for being witches lived, but it was somewhere between Boston and Miami.