Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1) Shadow and Bone discussion

Project: Save The Darkling

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia Okay, so I know that The Darkling is a liar, a cheat, a manipulator, a sadist and and over all a very EVIL guy.
But even with all that I am more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because I love him too much (I know I am sick) and I want him to be the ultimate hero. With that in mind I've compiled a ridiculous list of impossible scenarios that might prove that The Darkling is not doing all these evil things on his own:
1# I am more than happy to lay all the blame on The Apparat. I mean the guy sounds and looks like Rasputin. I think he is the ultimate evil guy and has brainwashed The Darkling into becoming his evil minion.
2# Same scenario as above. Except add the name Zoya instead on The Apparat.
3# The Darkling is being controlled the ghost of an evil ancestor.
4# The Darkling has an ancient artifact that is making him do things against his will.
5# He is possesed by a demon. Or a Volcra. (I mean, it could happen)
6# Why exactly do we trust Bahgra again?

Anyone on The Darkling's side, add your own unlikely scenario. Hopefully, Leigh Bardugo might like one of these ridiculous ideas and change The Darkling's fate.

P.S. For Mal lovers: I love him too, but not nearly as much as The Darkling :)

Patricia Kaniasty Love scenario #1, nope for #2, nope for #3, nope for #4, and I doubt #5. #6, I was thinking the same thing. And you are not crazy, I love the Darkling also. LOL

Sorry. I have no scenario to add.

WinterRose I don't think anyone is controlling the Darkling or anything. I think all his actions are on him. BUT I do think he has some good intentions, though he doesn't know how to execute them the right way. The king does seem like a tool bag and I see him as much of a villain as the Darkling.

I think the Apparat has his own agenda, by the way.

My theory is that the Darkling has been so disconnected from human emotions that he's forgotten what it's like to really feel anything. He wants power, obviously, but I think Leigh is taking him down a path that will have him realizing there is more to life than power.

message 4: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia I love your theory. I had the same idea but didn't write about it because of following reasons:

Killing the innocent is the ultimate act of evil. Fictional or otherwise. I understand when The Darkling made the cut in the beginning of the book. It was to save Alina's life (aka The innocent). But eradicating an entire village, just to make a point (granted, it was a monumental point) was just unforgivable. What I want is a chance for The Darkling to earn forgiveness if and only if he was not the one to make the ultimate choice of going ahead with the evil acts. What I want is a hope of redemption for The Darkling.

Other than that, again, I loved your theory. Specially, how you phrased it :)

message 5: by WinterRose (last edited Mar 16, 2013 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

WinterRose Thanks :) Yeah I think a lot of his decisions and what he's done comes down to what he told Alina after he used the cut: "I did what had to be done."

I think he's the type of character who doesn't live my morals and values like most people because of his position of power. He has the power to change things, to free Grisha, etc. So he is willing to sacrifice his own "morals" for the greater good. Or at least I think that's his logic, that he will do what it takes, no matter how "bad" it makes him look to others, if he believes it's the right thing to do.

He will become the villain if it benefits the rest of the world. It certainly makes for an interesting character. :)

I do think he will redeem himself in R&R. In the sense that he will rethink his methods. Getting the Grisha out of the tyranny of the king isn't a bad idea. But his execution of that plan is--using the fold, forcing Alina to do his bidding, etc. He needs to not be so drastic lol.

Koike Teppei Mia wrote: "Okay, so I know that The Darkling is a liar, a cheat, a manipulator, a sadist and and over all a very EVIL guy.
But even with all that I am more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt b..."

This is just how I feel!! :D I'm so glad that it's not just me! I feel like the author made me fall so much in love with the darkling that I can't stop loving him!

I even considered writing my own new ending to the book and tearing out the old one but if he does do something to be redeemed I will definately not do this!

I do think that the whole thing was brilliant though! I did not see this comming! :) This author is great but I want the darkling to end up with the alina.

I have also been thinking of ways that this could happen: Maybe the darkling could get his memory washed and decide to become good. Maybe he could realize that he is so in love with alina that he gives up his evilness :\ He could have been taken over by an evil spirit like you said! I also like the idea of the apperat being in control of him. How about it is actually Baghra that is in control of him and she tried to make everything look like it was his fault? It really could make sence! I hope that he becomes the good guy in the end because I love him way more than Mal(It makes no sence because he grew up with her but really he was the one holding her back!) Please let the Darkling turn good!!!

♥ Becky  22 I love the Darkling, but honestly, I think he knows exactly what he's doing. Problem is, he thinks he's doing the right thing.

The Apparat also reminded me of Rasputin. :D

message 8: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia yeah I know. The resemblance was too obvious wasn't it? :)

Celofán Not really... I liked the Darkling, and I don't think he needs to be 'saved'. Allow me to elaborate:

He is immortal. He has seen hundreds and hundreds of wars, thousands die. And he's tired of pointless deaths. Of being pushed around by incompetent kings. If the Fold disappeared, humans would still fight, wouldn't they? It is they nature, he thinks. We cannot stop fighting each others to get more power.

But everything changes if he's at the top. Who would defy him, who can destroy your whole village in a mater of seconds? It is better to sacrifice some thousands NOW than see how humans keep killing each other while he's alive.

I'm not cheering for him, of course. But I can't bring myself to call him 'evil'. He's human, complex, a very good character.

I hope they don't make all the blame fall on the Apparat. But then again, all that is just my opinion.

Off topic: somebody mind if I ask some questions about things I didn't understand by PM?

message 10: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia Celofán wrote: "Off topic: somebody mind if I ask some questions about things I didn't understand by PM?"

go for it :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) ♥ Spring 22 wrote: "I love the Darkling, but honestly, I think he knows exactly what he's doing. Problem is, he thinks he's doing the right thing.

The Apparat also reminded me of Rasputin. :D"

Ditto, almost word for word!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) The Darkling was probably the most interesting character in the book. I liked Alina, but she wasn't quite as vibrant as The Darkling. Mal doesn't even measure up.

message 13: by Molly (new)

Molly Okay I'm just going to have to admit this. I think the Darkling is by far the best character in the book and even though he did what he did, I still really love him. I wish he ended up with Alina. Mal and Alina fought too much and it got annoying how this went on and on. The thing is, The Darkling wasn't exactly that bad. I mean people killed each other all the time in this book. Alina left all the people to die in the fold and she's hasn't been called a twisted murderer. I also liked Nikolai (I thought he was cute) and I think he was okay romantically with Alina but I'm just going to say the Darkling is freaking sexy! He was meant to be with Alina. The way there powers matched up. Honestly I'm going to write my own ended because I think the Darkling deserves a little better. If Alina had just stayed at the Little Palace maybe the Darkling wouldn't have reacted so much. Maybe he wouldn't have ended up enslaving her with the amplifier and the book would actually have a good ending!