The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > hello -and- advice!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Asha (last edited Mar 31, 2009 09:59AM) (new)

Asha (ashatara) Hey everyone :-)

I just joined so it was too late to get started w/ March picks. But I'm looking forward to the April books.

I have a few questions and if you any answers that would be lovely:

1. I just started the Dive from Clausen's Pier. It was recommended to me b/c I really loved The Time Traveler's Wife. But Dive is going pretty slow... and I'm not a "love" story type person. I think I liked Time Traveler's so much because of the writing style - and admittedly because i was shocked that I actually freakin cried at the end. I'm still wondering how that happened.

ANYWAY - the reviews are really either harsh or fabulous. Where did you fall if you read it? Should I stick with it or toss it?

2. I'm going on a two month trip. Book Recommendations? :-D

Thanks! - asha

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb is an excellent book. The Book Thiefby Markus Zusak is also HIGHLY recommended.

I'll leave it at that, otherwise I too could be here all day! :)

Welcome to TNBBC!

message 3: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Oh Fiona, what are you recommending that old thing for... (you'll see in a while that it's probably the main thing she pushes!!)

Hi Asha, Welcome to the group!! No love stories... what do you like to read? Mysteries, fantasy, biogs... give us a hint!!

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbez05) | 556 comments Hi Asha-

I recently read The Thirteenth Tale and couldn't put it down - I would definitely recommend it. I could add many many more to that list, but as Becky said, I'd be here all day!

You'll pick up great recommendations here, though. Check out the "What are you reading?" and "Five Star Reads" threads for inspiration. Happy reading! :)

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10124 comments Mod
Welcome Asha...
A two month trip? You lucky girl!
I would have to recommend Blindness, since its my favorite. Its heavy but so haunting and written so beautifully.

Even tho you are getting a late start, you can always read the March books and jump into the discussions later on.... we are always looking for new insight on them! I would also recommend Water for Elephants, something I would not have read, if the group didnt vote on it, and I loved it!!

message 6: by Asha (new)

Asha (ashatara) thank you thank you for all the suggestions :-)

I should clarify when I say I don't like "love" stories. I put it in quotes because I wanted to exclude recommendations like Dive again :-).

I'm not really a genre fiction reader. I've never read or liked Harry Potter, John Grisham, mysteries, King, etc. The only mystery I got through (in two days, at that) was THe Da Vinci Code and even though it was a fun page turner - I really missed style and rich characters that i find in literary fiction.

That seems like I'm ruling out a lot, I know, I know... (><)! But so far these books seem great :-).

Thanks for your recs! I'll definitely check the other forums for more, too! It's like I went from trickle to a waterfall in this group. I'm wondering if I should have invested in a Kindle now ... :-)

message 7: by Asha (new)

Asha (ashatara) Lori wrote: "Welcome Asha...
A two month trip? You lucky girl!
"

lucky? or just fed up with being unemployed? haha ;-)

I decided to get off the internet scouring for work and just go see the world for a while. the internet will be here when i get back! And hopefully more jobs will be too.

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10124 comments Mod
You are brave to just pick up and tackle the world like that! I wish you lots of luck in your searches.

message 9: by El (new)

El Asha, welcome to the group!
Where will you be going during your trip? Maybe we can help you find some books that have settings where you will be visiting which might be fun. (At least I would consider that fun, hehe.)

message 10: by Katie (last edited Mar 31, 2009 07:35PM) (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) Asha wrote: "2. I'm going on a two month trip. Book Recommendations? :-D "
If you think you're going on more long-time trips, or you're interested in stuffing your suitcase with public domain classics, invest in an e-book reader. The Kindle is popular, however, you have to ask yourself how often you need all those buttons, and are you going to be consistently in an area of Sprint's network. For other e-book readers there are a variety of download services...2. Are you possibly going on lots of trips such as the one you described.

I have a Sony, if my SO said come on we're going away for 2 months, reading material would be the last of my worries. On my Sony I already have 52 books loaded up. Many of them were free, four Jane Austens, three George Eliots, 4 Henry James, 2 Tolstoys, and 2 Dostoyevskys, etc.. And this doesn't include a multitude of modern literature that I paid for by Wally Lamb, Alice Sebold, Arthur Golden, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Obama, etc.. And I never paid more than $1-2.00 more than Amazon's offerings. Nor have I found that Amazon has offered a new release that I couldn't get elsewhere legally, and only a dollar more. No, I couldn't get it instantly through the Sprint network, but downloading a file and synching it to my Reader usually takes 3-10 minutes.

And it's no thicker than a No. 2 pencil and easily fits into my purse.

If you don't want to/need to/can't go to Amazon check out these sources for other e-book providers:
1. http://www.fictionwise.com/ (pay) but offers several file formats, I'll admit I'm addicted to this site.
2. http://ebookstore.sony.com/ (pay, you can read the book on your computer or on a Sony reader). Unlike Amazon, you don't have to have their proprietary reader just to hook up to their collection.
3. http://www.feedbooks.com/ mostly free public domain books and offers file formats for a variety of electronic readers
4. http://www.feedbooks.com/ the same as #3

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Asha wrote: "I've never read or liked Harry Potter, John Grisham, mysteries, King, etc."

You're missing out on some GREAT books! I won't harp, but the Harry Potter books really are given a bad rap, in that they seem to be the most "pre-judged" series out there. They really aren't just children's books... you should give them a try! And that's all I'm sayin'! :)

Aside from that, I love Stephen King (my favorite author, but I know he is not for everyone) and John Grisham (especially "A Time to Kill"), and mysteries too... But don't mind me, I think that everyone should love what I love... or at least try! ;)

message 12: by Asha (new)

Asha (ashatara) Katie Flora wrote: "four Jane Austens, three George Eliots, 4 Henry James, 2 Tolstoys, and 2 Dostoyevskys, etc.. And this doesn't include a multitude of modern literature that I paid for on there by Wally Lamb, Alice Sebold, Arthur Golden, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Obama, etc.."

my heart just swooned a bit! 52 books! wow.

Is the sony comparable to the kindle as far as the paper like resolution? I've tested the kindle, but not the sony. I think i've seen it at Target? Maybe I'm wrong.

message 13: by Asha (new)

Asha (ashatara) Becky wrote: "Asha wrote: "I've never read or liked Harry Potter, John Grisham, mysteries, King, etc."

You're missing out on some GREAT books! I won't harp, but the Harry Potter books really are given a bad ..."

Well on the horror front: I don't like horror. I don't watch horror movies, either. Getting scared isn't fun for me :-P - I know, tons of people have told me to at least start with Carrie. King especially is recommended b/c he gives richness to characters.

But I don't like getting scared. Especially if I'm in strange places. o.O

Maybe I should give Harry Potter a try again. I read the first book, way back in the day. It wasn't horrible. Just not my cup of tea, you know? I'm not the biggest fan of the movies here either. But I hear good things about Jonathan Strange - Have you read it?

message 14: by Asha (last edited Mar 31, 2009 07:31PM) (new)

Asha (ashatara) El wrote: "Asha, welcome to the group!
Where will you be going during your trip? Maybe we can help you find some books that have settings where you will be visiting which might be fun."

I'm starting in India... don't know much after that. I'll just have to bug the US consulate in Delhi or something if I need a visa to go elsewhere! Or apply by mail o.O? EEK. this is making me realize I haven't planned much...

But it would be a fun idea to try to read Indian-based lit. I've already read quite a bit though! :-)

message 15: by Asha (new)

Asha (ashatara) Lori wrote: "You are brave to just pick up and tackle the world like that! I wish you lots of luck in your searches."

thank you!

message 16: by Katie (last edited Mar 31, 2009 07:58PM) (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) Asha wrote: my heart just swooned a bit! 52 books! wow.
Is the sony comparable to the kindle as far as the paper like resolution? I've tested the kindle, but not the sony. I think I've seen it at Target? Maybe I'm wrong. "

None of the Sonys are wireless like the Kindle (if you're into impulse buying, you must have a Kindle). The Sony 505 has an e-ink screen to die for, better than the Kindle, but has no keyboard or search capabilities. The Sony 700 has a touchscreen, so it has a virtual keyboard (it's not there unless you need it). So you can search, bookmark and add notes.

The Kindle does have a onboard dictionary and Sprint capabilities to search Wikipedia. The Sony folks are hoping dictionary capabilities will come soon through a simple software update.
However, the touchscreen adds an extra layer of glass that some do not like because it reflects a little more. Yet, I find it easy to find a sweet spot to read by. Plus it has front lights, 2 levels, to read by in the dark.

A good place to research e-book readers is http://www.mobileread.com/forums/.

And you can check out the 505 at Target, Best Buy, and I think Borders has both the 505 and 700.

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I can understand that Asha. I personally don't find King scary, but many people do, so I can't argue there. Like I said, I know that King is not for everyone, but my shelves would be incomplete if he wasn't on them. :)

You should give Harry Potter another try. The first two are definitely aimed at younger readers, but book 3 starts delving into some darker and more mature themes, so I'd at least give the first three books a shot. At least then if you still don't like them, you've given them a fair chance, right? :)

message 18: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Asha,

Welcome to the group!!

message 19: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Welcome to the group Asha!
For your vacations, you may try 'Thirteenth Tale' by Diane Setterfield or 'Rebecca' by Daphne Du Maurier. They both have an amazing style of writing.
(Psst.. I didn't like Harry Potter either)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Asha!