Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Thoughts on Amazon discounting price?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angel (new)

Angel Lepire | 62 comments I have no clue if this is good or bad. You would think getting thrown in the bargain bin would be a bad thing for a new book? OK, well I'm being a little overly dramatic in my case, at least for now. But then I seem to remember discussions on various boards where people were asking how to get Amazon to discount their price. When my book first came out 1/18/13, it was $17.99 for a paperback on Amazon (a price I set, but that was at about the bottom rung of the ladder of prices my publisher gave me to pick from.) Within 3 weeks it was down to $13.70ish, and now it's like in the low $12 range. I'm not complaining at all...it sure seems like a good thing. I still make the same (meager-but who cares, I WROTE A BOOK!) royalties, but my readers get a much better deal. I was just wondering what you all thought about this? Is it a good thing when Amazon discounts your books? Do they do it based on sales, or lack of sales? Anyone know? Feel free to chime in...

message 2: by Angel (new)

Angel Lepire | 62 comments Just thought I would nudge this a bit. Still curious what people think...

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel (bullet123) | 16 comments How does the price compare to similar books?

message 4: by Angel (new)

Angel Lepire | 62 comments No sorry, guess I wasn't very clear on what I was asking. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion (or inside knowledge) about why Amazon decides to discount books. Like I say, seems like a good thing to me. I was just curious what people's thoughts were on it in general. Good or bad? What is their criteria for how they decide to do it, etc?

message 5: by Missy (new)

Missy Johnson | 24 comments I would've thought that would be the publishers decision rather than Amazon?

message 6: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 326 comments I was delighted when B&N and Amazon got into a price war with my trade paperback. I got the same royalty, but for a while it was wicked cheap (~$8.50) and sold a few copies. As a B&N Rewards member, I could buy paper copies of my own book (to send out for reviews) from B&N cheaper than I could get them from CS or LS.

Make sure everyone knows your TPBK is on sale. $12 is an easier sell than $18.