Literature & Philosophy discussion

The Fault in Our Stars
This topic is about The Fault in Our Stars
SSR > Distancing to avoid hurting others

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Livanos | 3 comments "'I'm a grenade,' I said again. 'I just want to stay away from people and read books and think and be with you guys because there's nothing I can do about hurting you; you're too invested, so please let me do that, okay?'" (Green 99).

Hazel is a dying cancer patient and she doesn't want to hurt people when she dies. She wants to invest slim to none in her problems so they don't have to deal with the pain.

If you knew your time was little, would you back away or take advantage of every ounce of time you have left?

seems easy to answer but think..................

Grady | 8 comments Mod
Great question and I like how you ask the responder to think..... My first response is that I would take advantage of every ounce of time I had left and enjoy the people I love; however, I am the type of person who would probably back away. I can't even fathom the pain my loved ones would feel if I were dying and I know I would feel (albeit indirectly) responsible for that pain. I would really have to meditate on this and accept that it is out of my control because leaving would be harder for my loved ones if I didn't take advantage of that time with them. Wow. This is difficult to even think about.