Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

To Kill a Mockingbird
This topic is about To Kill a Mockingbird
Book Issues > Not Sure How to Handle This

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Betsy | 581 comments I have a hardcover edition of To Kill a Mockingbird which I was getting ready to add to my books, but I'm not sure which edition to use or whether to add a new one. It looks identical to one of the 1960 editions, and that is the apparent pub. date, though it obviously is not that old. It says the publisher is Lippincott, but it has 296 pages which matches the Harper Collins edition. However, there is another oddity. Stuck in with the book, there is a separate little 8-page pamphlet which is a "New Introduction by Ellen Gilchrist" which was copyrighted in 1990.

Another little wrinkle, on the copyright page, below the 1960 copyright notice, is another little notice in different type that references BOMC. Can't find any other references to this being a Book of the Month Club edition, but maybe it is.

It looks like a new facsimile printing of an old edition, with the new introduction stuck in separately. My inclination is to create a new edition, so I can reference the introduction (maybe in the edition field).

What do you think? And what publication date should I use?

message 2: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments There are loads of references to Mockingbird with a pamphlet by Gilchrist and Book of the Month Club from 1990. If we don't have that combination on Goodreads then I would say we add your book with Gilchrist as secondary author. The pamphlet seems to have been available separately (possibly at a later date) but was originally part of the Club pack.

Does your book have an ISBN?

Betsy | 581 comments Yes, but it's the same ISBN as the original 1960 edition.

message 4: by Betsy (last edited Mar 13, 2013 03:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Betsy | 581 comments Banjomike wrote: "There are loads of references to Mockingbird with a pamphlet by Gilchrist and Book of the Month Club from 1990. If we don't have that combination on Goodreads then I would say we add your book wit..."

Where did you find those references? I sure couldn't find anything like that in the GR database. I also searched WorldCat and LOC and didn't find it.

message 5: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Betsy wrote: "Where did you find those references? I sure couldn't find anything like that in the GR database. "

Not on Goodreads. I was using the Internet [insert scary music]

For example, this is the cover to the Gilchrist pamphlet.
http://pictures.abebooks.com/SAWTOOTH...
We can't use that image 'cos it comes from an evil site but it does show what the thing looks like which is very handy when trawling through millions of editions of a famous book.

The same applies to the book itself. The description of the cover sort-of matches this book which is similar to many of the covers of Mockingbird.
http://luckty.files.wordpress.com/201...
The difference is that the edition with the pamphlet is described as having a Pulitzer Prize sticker on the cover which probably matches this one (which we also cannot use, evil site etc):
http://pictures.abebooks.com/QGWOODCR...

Easiest option: add your edition to Goodreads but scan or photograph your cover. Don't use the covers I've linked.

Betsy | 581 comments Okay. I just feel like I'm making some assumptions that I don't really have any evidence for, other than the book itself. I may have to use some waffle words, like "probably a facsimile edition", "possibly a BOMC publication".

message 7: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Betsy wrote: "Okay. I just feel like I'm making some assumptions that I don't really have any evidence for, other than the book itself. I may have to use some waffle words, like "probably a facsimile edition",..."

If it is a Book of the Month then it might say so on the copywrite page. The edition that came with the pamphlet WAS a Book Club so that should be OK. In the edition field put "Book of the Month Club".

Don't bother with words like facsimile unless you know that it is.

message 8: by Betsy (last edited Mar 14, 2013 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Betsy | 581 comments How do you know the edition that came with the pamphlet was a Book Club? I found some links from Abebooks that really sounded like my book, same cover, with pamphlet, said 1990 facsimile. But when I clicked through the links they were gone from the Abebooks site.

On the copyright page, the reference to BOMC reads: "BOMC offers recordings and compact discs, cassettes and records. For information and catalog write to BOMC, Camp Hill, PA 17012". Period. So is this a BOMC publication in 1990, or a copy of the 1960 BOMC edition. Or both?

It really looks like a facsimile because the type is a little fuzzy, like it was printed from a photocopy.

Thanks for your help, Banjomike. I'm probably being a little too OCD.

message 9: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Betsy wrote: "How do you know the edition that came with the pamphlet was a Book Club? I found some links from Abebooks that really sounded like my book, same cover, with pamphlet, said 1990 facsimile. But whe..."

Partly because you own a copy, which says it is a Book Club, and has the pamphlet.

There is this one:
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/Kill-Mockin...
1990, pamphlet, book club, description of cover, Gilchrist, Pulitzer Prize in circle(label). No mention of facsimile.

There are a few other sources. We can't use these ones.

If the book was intended to be a proper facsimile then I would not expect the reference to the Pulitzer Prize on the cover.

message 10: by Betsy (last edited Mar 14, 2013 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Betsy | 581 comments But the thing is, my book doesn't clearly state that it's a Book Club edition. I own plenty of BOMC books and they usually clearly state that, if only on the flyleaf.

The link you gave is certainly my book, but you notice it does not say it's a book club edition, it just says "says BOMC on copyright page".

How about if I say "possible" book club edition?

I'm also not sure what to put as the publisher. It says Lippincott, but it also says published in 1960. That's another reason I think it's a copy. And it doesn't have the right number of pages for the 1960 Lippincott edition.

message 11: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments I can't think of a reason why a Book Club would get a mention on the copyright page of a non-book club book.

If it says Lippincott then that is the publisher we use.

Saying "possible" book club edition doesn't seem useful.

It seems to me that Lippincott published and printed this book for BOMC. I've seen book club editions that don't give the complete history of the book, just the original publication date.

Could you post a scan/photo of the copyright page? There are probably BOMC experts lurking around who will be able to confirm what it is.

message 13: by Banjomike (last edited Mar 14, 2013 03:45PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments That looks like a book club edition. The lack of detail (especially not including the publisher name on the copyright page) seems clear.

Betsy | 581 comments OK. Thanks.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I'd agree - BOMC's offering are explained and their address is provided for more info/catalog.