Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1) Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe question

Your thoughts...?
Kristy Hunter Kristy Hunter Mar 12, 2013 07:14PM
I want to talk about this book but I can't think up a good question to post.

This book pleasantly surprised me. I love both Ari and Dante, and their coming of age story is unique in YA literature. At least this is the first novel I have read like it. In your mind what makes this book so good?

My Favorite quote is this:

“I renamed myself Ari.

If I switched the letter, my name was Air.

I thought it might be a great thing to be the air.

I could be something and nothing at the same time. I could be necessary and also invisible. Everyone would need me and no one would be able to see me.”

What a brilliant book... and your thoughts?

I read this book and it brought back the confusions of my adolescence in the beginning...It was a light read n quite refreshing too. For me the ending was disappointing as it made me feel that Ari n Dante's friendship was biased by attraction..this part didn't work for me though I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I wud recommend this buk for a shift from the usual stuff we read to a book about frndship :)

I didn't know anything about this book prior to reading it other than it had won numerous awards. I haven't ever read another YA book like this one - loved it. I loved the main character, Ari. I also really appreciate the author's portrayal of parents in this novel. I think what made this book unique was that the parents were portrayed as human and not adversarial. They were funny, warm, involved, flawed and honest. And, they truly loved their sons and accepted them as they were. I also appreciated Dante's honesty in openly admitting he adored his parents. The need to talk about the past was emphasized as important to all family members also. In short, the book had great messages and was brilliant.

Great use of voice for teens. I cried a couple times in the reading.

I loved this book. it went kinda slow for me but I loved it anyways and was always wondering what was going to happen when I picked it up next and when I finished it I just wanted to read more about Ari and Dante.
I read this because I've been hunting down teen books with Gay characters because I just needed a romance to relate to and characters who were as frustrated and terrified about it as I am. I read Annie on my mind first and none I have read have reached an equal special place for me next to annie on my mind as this Novel did.
I wish there was more YA fiction for me to read like it.

Kristy wrote: "I want to talk about this book but I can't think up a good question to post.

This book pleasantly surprised me. I love both Ari and Dante, and their coming of age story is unique in YA literatu..."

I think this would have been on my list for the Printz if I had read it before the award. I loved these characters and the way the story unraveled. Just wonderful.

I felt like it didn't have a strong enough beginning to pull me in, but I kept reading cuz it was a group reading book. Loved it in the end though.

- I really would like some help finding some good books like this where two boys fall in love. If anyone has suggestions please post them under my recommendations. Thanks.
LIGHT

i knew almost nothing about this book going but everyone just fawned over this book so i gave it a try. it is my favourite book of all life currently and it was a refreshing break from the heteronormative storylines that clog YA and as a person who's identities are all queer, i need this kind of thing.

This book was recommended to me by one of the librarians at my school. (Sadly enough, I know all of the librarians at my school, and have regular conversations with them like they're old friends.) Anyways, she recommended it to me and said that one of her friends read it, he said to her,"Thank you."

After hearing a response like that, I obviously had to read this book.

I honestly could not stop reading this book from the moment I read the first sentence. The story itself was just so REAL, and prior to this book I had never read anything like it.

I loved all of the characters, even when they were going through some hard times. This book made me feel so at home, and I really do wish Dante and Ari truly existed.

My thoughts on this book are pure and simple - I love it. It had the most beautiful and true to earth story, and I loved the characters with all my heart.

Thank you.

Abby (last edited May 23, 2013 05:55PM ) May 23, 2013 05:53PM   0 votes
Honestly, I picked up this book because it is in the section of recommended for you that I associate with bad romance novels (well not bad, I don't do poorly written books, just not much plot creativity). Why do I do this? It's kinda like watching tv for me, I don't have to pay much attention and I am entertained, so I just read books I don't read normally.

I was surprised by the book. I was interesting and not what I was looking for but I finished it in less than a day anyway. Maybe it's because the reason I'm reading those types of books is because I'm going through a hard time and what the characters were talking about resonated with me. Also, I want a Dante, but not gay.

I personally loved this book because even though I am not their age, I get the conflicted feelings they feel and it kind of shows me insight on hoe people who aren't me fall in love (that is always interesting bc i'm a little manic)~

deleted member Jan 17, 2015 07:01AM   0 votes
One word for this amazing book: BEAUTIFUL

deleted member Apr 11, 2014 09:09AM   0 votes
I loved this book a lot more than I thought I would at first.

I really enjoyed this book, it left me breathless.

This book WAS freakin' brilliant. I enjoyed it the whole way through, and the ending really caught me off guard in a good way.

Any of you read any other books by Saenz? I'm wondering if any of them come close to being as awesome as Aristotle and Dante .

deleted user Last Night I Sang to the Monster was great, but not as good as this.
May 26, 2014 03:58AM · flag

I didn't know what this book was about going into it. I only knew that Ariel Bissett liked it and that it had an unheard of amount of medals. I ended up loving it. The writing was beautiful and everything came together perfectly, though a few loose ends weren't tied up. But that made it better. This book felt like a tiny part of someone's life, and not all of the loose ends are tied up in life.