One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest discussion

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jtc (last edited Mar 14, 2013 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jtc Who is your favorite character in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"? My favorite is Mcmurphy, even though everyone likes Mcmurphy a lot. He is the rock that holds the foundation of the mental hospital patients together. He keeps the patients from being oppressed by Nurse Ratched. He cares for many of the people there and would not do anything to hurt them.

Slmr My favorite character was Chief Bromden by far. I felt like he was a really insightful character and Kesey did a good job of portraying a mental health patient. His descriptions of the ward were mind blowing.

Will IV The Chief's descriptions are what make this books so special to me. So vivid and original throughout.

message 4: by Npb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Npb I agree with Will. The chief explaining the story makes it better.

Monty J Heying Npb wrote: "I agree with Will. The chief explaining the story makes it better."

Agreed.

message 6: by Ajc (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ajc Slmr wrote: "My favorite character was Chief Bromden by far. I felt like he was a really insightful character and Kesey did a good job of portraying a mental health patient. His descriptions of the ward were mi..."

I agree. I think that Chief Bromden gave the reader a very unique perspective of the story and the events happining in the story.

Mario My favorite character is Nurse Ratched. Even though she is not seen as a good person in the story, Kesey does a very good job in making the reader despise her. Also, he describes her in so much detail that we can imagine her in our head as we read.

message 8: by Monty J (last edited Apr 16, 2014 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monty J Heying M.s. wrote: "My favorite character is Nurse Ratched. Even though she is not seen as a good person in the story, Kesey does a very good job in making the reader despise her. Also, he describes her in so much d..."

The woman who played her in the film got an academy award.

Mario Monty J wrote: "M.s. wrote: "My favorite character is Nurse Ratched. Even though she is not seen as a good person in the story, Kesey does a very good job in making the reader despise her. Also, he describes her..."

Thats great I have not watched the film yet!

message 10: by Crd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Crd I liked how this book had a lot of twists thrown in with the plot. The author did a good job to disguise the ending.

message 11: by Cls (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cls What did you guys think of Nurse Ratched? Personally, if I was in the near vicinity of her I would be scared...

message 12: by Monty J (last edited Mar 15, 2013 08:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monty J Heying Cls wrote: "What did you guys think of Nurse Ratched? Personally, if I was in the near vicinity of her I would be scared..."

I lived in an orphanage for nine years, two of which were with a monster of a matron like Ratched. One murderous look from her could melt steel.

message 13: by Md (new) - rated it 2 stars

Md Honestly, I'm going to have to go with Nurse Ratched. Not only was she a good character that really helped the book tie together, she seemed to be one of the most personified characters in the book...in my opinion

V.a.m. Well first, one can't deny that these characters would not have been nearly as good if they weren't all in the same story, playing off of each other, really bringing out personality of the characters. Like McMurphy wouldn't have been so entertaining if nurse Ratched was such a good bad guy. But overall, my favorite character had to be McMurphy! He was so entertaining to read about, and the way he actually stood up and made a different in a flawed system that had been running that way for years was awesome! He just seemed like one of those people that you would really wanna be friends with the second you met him.

message 15: by Cait (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cait In the book: Chief Bromden.

In the film: Chief Bromden and Max Taber.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Chief Bromden by far. He is my favorite character in any book I have ever read (don't look at me like that, I'm serious). McMurphy is amazing, but then there are a lot of McMurphys in literature. . . the real world is full of Bromdens, whether we like it or not. It's just that not all of them end up escaping from the asylum.

Lucia Lazorova Hello, actually there a few interesting characters but I didn´t like the Big Nurse aka Nurse Ratched, she was a bit too much, hard to believe she had more power than doctor and I didn´t care about her at all