ABC Book Review Podcast discussion

What are YOU reading?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth Hatch | 44 comments Mod
Okay, so I just picked up "Autobiography of a Fat Bride." I read the first page and almost peed myself. (That happens sometimes after you have kids).

I am also loving The Amulet of Samarkand - a kids book akin to Harry Potter. Ba da ba ba ba - I'm loving it.

Decided to put Council of Dads on hold for now. I couldn't handle a father writing to his twin girls after he was diagnosed with cancer. I started having nightmares.

How about you?

message 2: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 16 comments Hi there! I just found your podcast about a month ago and have gone through much of your archives! It's nice listening to you chat and you seem to read the same sort of things I do.

I just finished reading The House at Riverton. I liked it. But man it was long and the first 200 pages were slow. I thought the second half of the book flew though. I'm currently reading I'll Take What She Has by Samantha Wilde. (I got it through the Early Readers program at LibraryThing) So far it's pretty entertaining.

I've been keeping reviews of my books read at LibraryThing since 2003. I see that Goodreads seems like such a more social place nowadays but I just can't bear the thought of leaving my little account at LT. But this is pretty snazzy here with the scanning ability and everything. Anyway that's a tangent.

So thats it. I just wanted to say that I love your podcast and looking forward to the next one!

message 3: by Jumana A (new)

Jumana A Hello! I found your podcast a few weeks ago and I love it. I did get the audiobook In the Woods after listening to your podcast from my library and loved it.

I am currently waiting for Gone Girl audiobook to be available at my library as well and am very excited.

I also wanted to say, thank you for stating that listening to an audio book is considered reading a book. I told my sister about a book that I listened to and she did not consider it reading. If audio books were not available I would never get through all the books that I have so far.

I have just finished Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D James. It was recomened from my book club, it was okay. If you know Pride and Predjudice well then this might be more enjoyable but I did not and it was a little tough at first because I did not know the characters well. I quickly watched the movie and it helped with the character backround. But not enough to truly love the book.

Keep up the goodwork with the podcast! I really enjoy listening to it.

message 4: by Cari (new)

Cari | 51 comments Alanna wrote: "Hi there! I just found your podcast about a month ago and have gone through much of your archives! It's nice listening to you chat and you seem to read the same sort of things I do.

I just fin..."

Thanks, Alanna! I know what you mean - I had been with Shelfari FOREVER (had tried LT, but I didn't like it much). I still have my Shelfari account, but I'm not actively updating it. It seems like GR is the place to be, and since it has a better mobile app, I can put my books in anywhere, anytime.

I haven't read House at Riverton, but I heard all her books have a slow start and then get better. I hadn't heard about I'll Take What She Has at all, but after I just looked at the description, it looks like something I would like. I'm going to put it on hold - thanks!

message 5: by Cari (new)

Cari | 51 comments Jumana wrote: "Hello! I found your podcast a few weeks ago and I love it. I did get the audiobook In the Woods after listening to your podcast from my library and loved it.

I am currently waiting for Gone Girl ..."

Thank you, Jumana! I LOVE In the Woods! I bet you'll love Gone Girl too. I didn't do the audio of that one, but the book is so good, and I have heard others like the audio. My husband says the same thing, that audiobooks aren't considered reading, and I completely disagree. I tell him - what about people with low vision? Our former library director had some issues with her eyes and can no longer read the way she did before, but she's an avid listener (and a listener of our podcast). So there. :-)

I haven't read Pride and Prejudice (I know, shameful) so I'm not sure that I'll read Pemberley right now - but I have recommended it to Austen fans :-)

message 6: by Cari (new)

Cari | 51 comments I'm reading Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld (got it as an advanced reader copy from Edelweiss). It comes out later this year. It's SO good. I'll be talking about it on the next podcast, probably. I also have two other books I'll talk about - I'm on a really good reading streak right now! I also have Lean In, the new book by the Facebook COO that's getting a lot of buzz. So the next podcast should be fun :-)

My "to-read" list includes:
Lexicon by Max Barry (I have an ARC of that too)
Always Watching by Chevy Stevens (won it from Goodreads - yay!)
Audio - Here I Go Again by Jen Lancaster
And I really want to get back to A Song of Ice and Fire. I just have A Dance with Dragons left to read.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Thank you both! I am so glad we started this discussion. I love hearing from listeners.

Alanna, I checkout "I'll Take What She Has" and I am definitely going to read that one!

Jumana, If you like "Gone Girl," you''ll really like Still Missing by Chevy Stevens!

message 8: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 16 comments Hi Everyone!

Jumama - good to know about Death Comes to Pemberly. I really like Jane Austen but I haven't liked much of the fiction that uses her as a stepping off point - so I think I might avoid that one. (as a side note the weirdest hands down riff on Pride and Prejudice I have ever read?

The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet it was off the charts bizarre. Like so strange I almost made my husband read it so he could talk about it with me. But unfortunately it's also just such a terrible book I couldn't in good conscience make him do that...

Count me among the Gone Girl Fans - I read it last month and loved it.

Cari - I had never heard of Shelfari before your podcast - it's amazing how many of these little sites are getting left behind. It's so sad. Maybe I'll make a project of moving my reviews over here.

I will be looking for that Curtis Sittenfeld book when it comes out. Prep was one of my favorite books in the past decade. I went to a boarding school in New England for highschool so I love reading any novels set in one... Prep definitely did it the best out of all the ones that I have read - it all rang true to me. I liked American Wife too.

So I am still reading I'll Take what she has by Samantha Morton

On Audio I am reading Anna and the French Kiss I listen at night because it helps me fall asleep - so it usually takes me weeks and sometime months (and lots of rewinding) to get to the end of a novel. :)

And on my Phone I have The Westing Game. I am enjoying it but i dont read on my phone too often - so its taking me a long time. I think I might have gotten that recommendation from your podcast? It's cute and I think I would have really loved it when I was a teen...

Beth - Hi! I'm going to take that rec for still missing too since i loved Gone Girl!
okay - enough from me!

message 9: by Lily (new)

Lily | 2 comments Hey there, Beth! I just joined and haven't heard any pod casts yet, but will get on that when I can! I love reading, and thank you for inviting me to join. It's so nice to be able to talk about books with people!

I'm reading Great Expectations now. After a bunch of disappointing newer fiction, the last three I've read are this, Franny & Zooey, and Les Miserables. I hope to find some good fiction soon. I feel like this group may help me with that.

message 10: by Beth (new)

OMG - Did you like Harry Potter? Cause if you did, YOU HAVE TO READ....

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud!

I cannot believe it's taken me this long to find a book this good.

Let me know what you think, of the podcast and anything else you are reading. How was Franny and Zooey?

message 11: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 16 comments I finished "I'll take what you have". I gave it 3 stars. So a mixed bag. If anyone else reads it I will be curious to hear other reactions to it.

Now I'm reading Brainiac by Ken Jennings. My husband got me Map Head by him a couple years ago (which i really enjoyed) and now I even follow him on Twitter.

He really makes me laugh so even though I am only a couple chapters into this one (its about his time on jeopardy and his life leading up to that point. It's a really good palate cleanser. :)

message 12: by Cari (last edited Mar 24, 2013 12:01PM) (new)

Cari | 51 comments Alanna wrote: "I finished "I'll take what you have". I gave it 3 stars. So a mixed bag. If anyone else reads it I will be curious to hear other reactions to it.

Now I'm reading Brainiac by Ken Jennings. My hu..."

OMG, I have an unhealthy love for Ken Jennings. I emailed him after Maphead came out, and he actually wrote me back a couple times. Have you ever seen his Ask Me Anythings on Reddit? They are hilarious. I've read all his books (including the latest one, Because I Said So).

edit: Here's a link to the most recent AMA: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments...

message 13: by Jumana A (new)

Jumana A Good Afternoon,

Me again. I'm still on the waiting list for Gone Girl at my library so I took Beth's advise and took out Still Missing from my library on audio.

It was very tough to get through, very real. The moments in the cabin were very hard to hear. It was good but very intense.

I am currently reading I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak who also wrote The Book Theif. It's about a 19 year old cab driver with not much money and less life ambitions until these playing cards end up at his door and he is trusted with changing peoples lives that he has never met.

I actually like this better then The Book Thief. It's more of a feel good book in a strange way.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Oh. That's sounds good. I liked the Book Thief too. I am plowing through the second in the Bartimaeus series and still loving it.

I had an author request that I decided to take on called "force of habit" by cash peters. So far good. I need a little light hearted mystery. You can understand after reading Still Missing. That book was intense!

I am also reading Autobiography of a Fat Bride. So good! LOL for sure.

message 15: by Lily (new)

Lily | 2 comments franny and zooey was good, but a bit like catcher in the rye. loving this thread...I may pick up something modern yet!

message 16: by Alison (last edited Mar 26, 2013 01:14PM) (new)

Alison (amdmccarty) | 6 comments Beth -- I *heart* Bartimaeus, especially the audio! I am so glad you're loving it, too!

I'm currently reading a very odd book called Man in the Empty Suit, which reminds me of books like The Rook and The Man from Primrose Lane in that it doesn't yet make any discernible sense. :) I can only hope it will turn out to be just as awesome as those books were!

message 17: by Alanna (last edited Apr 02, 2013 06:19AM) (new)

Alanna | 16 comments Cari! So funny that you are a Ken Jennings super fan! I feel like I am starting to lean in that direction myself. He is just.so.funny. It took me so much longer to read Brainiac: Adventures In The Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World Of Trivia Buffs than I thought it would. I love his anecdotal writing but the history of trivia stuff sometimes felt pretty weighty trying to get through. It is so funny - when I read Maphead it got me all amped up to go Geocaching again - and now I want to go play Trivia somewhere - something I haven't done since college!

and by the way - I loved the Reddit link! He is so fast on his feet it is amazing.

I also finished up Anna and the French Kiss on audio. I have to admit I think I had really unreasonable expectations for this book since it had been recommended to me via like 14 different sources.... it was...good.

Now I am reading Hot Six and really enjoying it. I wanted something totall breezy and this is perfect. I have to thank your podcast - people have been recommending Janet Evanovich for years - but she is just so prolific I didn't know where to start - then one of you said that #6 was as good a stating place as any - so I took your advice!

On audio I am listening to Bitter is the New Black It is pretty amusing so far.

Happy Spring everyone!

message 18: by Cari (new)

Cari | 51 comments I love geocaching and trivia!! *nerds out* Glad you liked Reddit too :-) I follow his blog since I don't do Twitter much.

I love #6!! But I guess you already knew that from the podcast. :-)

message 19: by Beth (new)

OMG! Not nonfiction...ahhhhh. lol.

Actually I want to read Salt Sugar Fat. It looks really good.

Any other nonfiction recommendations?

message 20: by Jumana A (new)

Jumana A I am not big on non fiction myself. I have read a couple of non fiction books in my book club and they were actually really good.

The first one is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. It is about the history of HeLa cells that is used in medicine today, but was taken without permission over 50 years ago. Many people have gained money or fame from this except for the woman herself and her family. It is a great story.

The second one is The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It is about the Chicago world fair and how it was organized and the events that they held such as the first Farris Wheel!! As well the story of H.H Holmes the one of the first American serial killers that used the fair to lure people and murder them. Crazy story, I can not believe I did not know about him until I read this book.

Both books read well and not like text books.

message 21: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 3 comments LOVE Devil in the White City, one of my all time favorites, and I've never been much of a non-fiction reader either. :) I've been meaning to read In the Garden of Beasts too, but haven't picked it up yet.

message 22: by Beth (new)

Devil in the White City has been on my to-read list for a long time. Maybe I should get that one off the list. :)

Jumana, I agree - the best nonfiction read like stories, not text books.

Picked up a Wrinkle in Time. Not sure what I think yet. It's won tons of awards so maybe I am expecting too much, like to levitate when I'm reading it?

message 23: by Alanna (last edited Apr 07, 2013 08:13AM) (new)

Alanna | 16 comments I'll ring in on Devil in the White City too - I liked it and thought it was really interesting but parts of it were uncomfortably grisly for me.

When I read non-fiction I definitely mostly gravitate towards essayists/memoirs. Have you read any Slone Crosley? I loved I Was Told There'd Be Cake and her follow up book was good too.

I finished Hot Six - I really liked it - it's nice to have a whole series in my pocket for times that I want to read something quick and light like that.

I just started Last Night at the Lobster. It has been on my to-read list FOREVER... I finally got a copy - 25 pages in it is just as I expected it to be - it is beautifully written.

Cari - I love that you love Geocaching... I guess it is all interwoven... :)

message 24: by PrimalAwakening (last edited Apr 08, 2013 04:44AM) (new)

PrimalAwakening | 9 comments The books I read lately include:
1) The Dog Stars by Peter Heller which I thoroughly enjoyed even though it started a bit slow for me.
2) The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D by Nichole Bernier which is intriguing as the story unfolds.
3)How to Eat A Cupcake by Meg Donohue which has some grit to it once your wrapped up in the storyline and characters.
4)Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn which I'm sure most readers had something interesting to say after they read it.
5)The Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green which is a partially sad story but seeing things and events in the story from a different perspective drew me in.

I am currently reading are:
1)The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce,
2)Dogstar Rising: A Makana Mystery by Parker Bilal. Both interesting reads- one a recommendation and the other I will review.

message 25: by Beth (new)

Maybe I am just hungry but "How to Eat A Cupcake by Meg Donohue" seems like something I would want to read right now...lol.

The only other one I read about in your list was Gone Girl.

I am intrigued about the Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend!

message 26: by Cari (new)

Cari | 51 comments Oh man, now I'm going to have even more books for my list. Sloane Crosley - I always meant to read her, but never did. I thought about maybe listening.

I haven't started anything besides what I already mentioned waaaay up on the thread. I wonder if we should start new threads for each month of "what are you reading." I did start a new audiobook - I Shouldn't Be Telling You This: Success Secrets Every Gutsy Girl Should Know Beth read this a while ago, and I thought the audio might be good. I like the reader. So far I agree with a lot of what she said, although she did go for some tough love on the eyebrows... sigh... I need to get them done.

message 27: by PrimalAwakening (new)

PrimalAwakening | 9 comments Beth wrote: "Maybe I am just hungry but "How to Eat A Cupcake by Meg Donohue" seems like something I would want to read right now...lol.

The only other one I read about in your list was Gone Girl.

I am intr..."

Yes, The Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green is a good one to read and it would be one for parents to read.
I'm not sure who mentioned that Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight was similar to Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn but I did add it to my to-read list and hopefully will get a chance to read it asap once I somehow get a copy of it.