The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
This topic is about The Bad Beginning
A series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Ratcliff | 3 comments I know it's kind of kiddy book but it's always a good read for me

message 2: by Savannah (new)

Savannah (skyswriting) No shame =D I LOVED this series and I am 26 years old hahah

message 3: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Ratcliff | 3 comments They are fun things to read. I started reading them when I was younger but I'll pick one up every now and then. I recommend them!

Angela Aquino | 3 comments There are 12 all in all.

message 5: by Sofia (Bookish Wanderess), Founder (new)

Sofia (Bookish Wanderess) (sofia-bookishwanderess) | 221 comments I haven't read them but i think i am gonna give them a try :)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 18 comments I love them, the snarky narrator makes it even better IMHO

message 7: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Ratcliff | 3 comments Yeah I always loved the letters at the end

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark | 15 comments Loved the first few but never finished them all. Heard the second one on cd narrated by Tim Curry. He really gave the characters their own voices.

Jacky | 97 comments One word, dire!

Alexandra (alexandra-the-fairy) I loved these books! Such a suspicious story

Laura | 62 comments I adore this series! I love how the narrator is his own character and Violet is one of my favorite female characters ever!

You guys may not know, but there is now a new prequel series out, which starts with Who Could That Be At This Hour?. The second book in this series comes out in October!

message 12: by Reaghan (new)

Reaghan | 52 comments I found them to be repetitive after a while. I read 6 of them. I certainly enjoyed some of the humor and the author (in his wicked way) promoting reading, but, I just couldn't continue with them.

Angela I liked them, to a certain extent, but could NOT understand why it was necessary to make the adults in them either heartless, cruel, or stupid. Yes, it's a series for younger people, and the kids needed to be clever, more clever than Count Olaf, but what about the other adults they meet along the way?

I finally gave up maybe three books from the end. I'll eventually finish the series, maybe later this year.

Christy (cmblaker) I just got this in audiobook, it had great reviews. I'll have to move it up my TBR list

Bianca (chaoslovesorder) I'm on book 10 (or is it 11..) and I loved the series so far, I mean of course I want it to all work out and everything- I think you'd have to be absolutely heartless like Olaf to not want the Baudelaire's to have some kind of happy ending.

I like the main characters- Violet, Sunny, Klaus & Olaf. I find a lot of the secondary characters I don't care for- they feel under developed and rather repetitive but not so much that they detract from the ongoing story.

Laura | 62 comments Bianca wrote: "I like the main characters- Violet, Sunny, Klaus & Olaf. I find a lot of the secondary characters I don't care for- they feel under developed and rather repetitive but not so much that they detract from the ongoing story."

You know, even though I love this series, I agree. I love the kids and Count Olaf, but did find some of the other secondary characters obnoxious, like Esme and Carmelita. But like you said, they are small enough characters that they didn't detract from the series. And some of the secondary characters were great - Kit, the Quagmires, Fiona, Hector, etc - so it balances out!

Brittany Perry | 229 comments ok so I watched the movie but never read the books. I thought the movie was kind off rushed a little are the books better I was thinking of ordering them?

Laura | 62 comments Brittany wrote: "ok so I watched the movie but never read the books. I thought the movie was kind off rushed a little are the books better I was thinking of ordering them?"

Yes, the movie was actually an adaptation of the first three books, so they crammed a lot of stuff in there! The books aren't so rushed.

That said, I actually did really like the movie! The casting was great and I loved the look of the settings, costumes, etc. I wish they had made another one!

Angelica (nerdz4life) | 11 comments I loved the book! I was super sad when the series ended.

message 20: by Jazmyn (last edited Mar 21, 2013 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jazmyn | 3 comments These books are pretty much what got me really excited about reading, even when Harry Potter *gasp!* failed to do so. The interesting characters and plot were wonderful, but my favorite parts were how Lemony Snicket said quirky things like "a word which here means" and how he let my 10 year old mind *almost* believe he was writing a true story, and yet at the same time creates a really unique world.

That being said, the movie was simply horrible.

message 21: by Susana (last edited Mar 21, 2013 04:07PM) (new) - added it

Susana | 52 comments Angela wrote: "There are 12 all in all."

Actually, its 13. This series was THE series in elementary. I started reading them, but stopped and then finally read all of them. A lot of people say I think to much, but I think an important part of a book is understanding what's happening. At the end, I kind of felt confused...I just didn't understand the whole "Beatrice" thing...could someone explain? This conversation might get me to read them all over again to see if i can understand them...lol

Laura | 62 comments Susana wrote: "At the end, I kind of felt confused...I just didn't understand the whole "Beatrice" thing...could someone explain? This conversation might get me to read them all over again to see if i can understand them...lol "

Beatrice was Beatrice Baudelaire, the mother of Violet, Klaus and Sunny. Lemony Snicket was engaged to her, but at some point for reasons not entirely clear, she called off the engagement. She then married Bertrand Baudelaire and had the three kids. Beatrice and Betrand then die in the house fire, orphaning the children. Lemony researches the fates of the three children and writes the books, all of which he dedicates to the women he loved.

Beatrice Baudelaire is also the name of Kit Snicket's daughter who is born in The End and who is adopted by Violet, Klaus, and Sunny (they name her after their mother).

Angelica Thompson | 134 comments I remember when I first started reading these books, they were the second set of chapter books I've ever read! The first set was Captain Underpants (if that counts) haha anyway I felt accomplished when I would finish a book in this series and the best part was there never was a dull moment for me in the books I loved it!I still have all of the books right on my shelf. I'm saving them for my children to read in the future

message 24: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash Toups (123ash) Ok, I just finished the series, like today. It was fun to read, and at some parts kinda boring but it was fun. Tim was a great narrator, even tho I only listened to half of the last book. So the beginning of The End. But I think I read this book more for the author than for the story itself. I wanted to see what other kind of strange things he threw in. A phrase here which means... exactly. :)

message 25: by Susana (last edited Apr 21, 2013 12:46PM) (new) - added it

Susana | 52 comments Laura wrote: "Susana wrote: "At the end, I kind of felt confused...I just didn't understand the whole "Beatrice" thing...could someone explain? This conversation might get me to read them all over again to see i..."

Wow, thank you. I understand it soo much now. I remember the part at the end about the baby, but the other stuff was kind of jumbled in there. It adds much more meaning to the series and it makes Mr. Snicket much more ominous.

message 26: by Bay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bay I've only read the first seven :( Startet as nine (holy crap am I really that old?) but then they stopped translate it to Danish, which made me very sad. Now of cause I can understand English and would have no problems what so ever to understand the books, the problem is just, how can i get them without paying a lot of money to get them shipped to Denmark? That really frustrates me, cause it's an amazing series and the author is in my opinion a genius. I guess I have to suck it up and pay the price -.-

Laura | 62 comments Rikke, do you have a Kindle or e-reader? The Kindle versions of the later books are only $6 each and you wouldn't have to pay shipping!

Susana wrote: "Wow, thank you. I understand it soo much now. I remember the part at the end about the baby, but the other stuff was kind of jumbled in there. It adds much more meaning to the series and it makes Mr. Snicket much more ominous. "

You're very welcome, Susana! You're right in that that info was never outright stated - it was hinted at here and there and you had to put all the pieces together for it to make sense!

Sarah (cornishpixies) | 4 comments I loved these books when I was in elementary and middle school. Lemony Snicket/Daniel Handler has a fantastic writing style that is sophisticated for children and adults.

Rohan Goplakrishnan One of the very few instances where the book has transcended on the screen brilliantly. Jim Carey killed it. Do see the movie if you haven't

message 30: by Justine (new)

Justine (hustina) The World is Quiet Here. VFD

message 31: by Addie (new)

Addie (justthisonetime) | 21 comments This was one of the first book series that I actually got me addicted to reading. When I was a kid my dad would pay me (enough to buy only gums sadly) to read books. I would force myself to read but Series of Unfortunate Events was different. It was dark for a children's book but light enough for, well, a child to just pick up. This was one of the best written books I have ever read and, not only that, the author took kindly to my limited vocabulary and often explained their meanings in a most fascinating way. The story is a great mystery of sorts. Solving a puzzle or finding a clue only lead you to more questions and even more dead ends. Almost a decade since I first picked it up and I still felt surprise when certain facts and plot twists made waves. Great read all in all. The movie was entertaining if not slightly compressed

Allison | 252 comments When I was little I read the first two books, but I thought they were too sad so I stopped reading them.

message 33: by Uday (new)

Uday Kanth (udayk) These books are a whole different experience. Yes, they are sad, tragic, and heartless at most of the times. But that never stopped me from reading all the 13 books end to end because of the mystery, the amusing narration, and the wonderful protagonists. I simply love Sunny and what she becomes later on in the series. Definitely a must read!

message 34: by Rianne (new)

Rianne Heartfilia (glindaaaaaa) | 40 comments Is this a series from which you can read only the first and not have the special need to read the second?
Don't get me wrong I would probably like the series but on a whole I don't want to read series right now, since I've got plenty other books to read

message 35: by Rianne (new)

Rianne Heartfilia (glindaaaaaa) | 40 comments Okay I'll probably do that :)

message 36: by Jodi (new) - rated it 1 star

Jodi (readinbooks) I read the first book to my grade five students several years ago. We were all bored. I didn't continue with the series. I know it is a popular series but I couldn't do it.

message 37: by Katie.g (new)

Katie.g | 129 comments Jodi wrote: "I read the first book to my grade five students several years ago. We were all bored. I didn't continue with the series. I know it is a popular series but I couldn't do it."

I wasn't a huge fan of them either. Read the entire series because my siblings bought them. I ended up skim reading about half the series. It was pretty boring and I thought the narrators voice was patronizing.

message 38: by Alex (new)

Alex | 11 comments I loved these books!!! But there were still some faults.