Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > Giveaway - Leon Chameleon PI and the case of the kidnapped mouse - Ends April 8th - COMPLETE

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (last edited Mar 12, 2013 12:35PM) (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments Giveaway until April 8th.
Leon Chameleon P.I. and the Case of the Kidnapped Mouse Leon Chameleon P.I. and the Case of the Kidnapped Mouse by Jan Hurst-Nicholson

A humorous, animal detective story for 7-12 year-olds.

"When Mr Woodland Mouse mysteriously disappears, Constable Mole is quick to enlist the help of Leon Chameleon, Private Investigator, whose expertise enabled the Pigeon Valley Police to solve the case of the missing canary eggs.
After organising a search, Leon realises that there is only one creature in the valley who can spring the captured mouse from his prison. But just when he thinks Mr Woodland Mouse is safely on his way home, the plan goes horribly wrong..."

All the animal details of food, habits, and lifestyle are true to nature (apart from Constable Mole’s sunglasses!) and the animals solve the crimes using their own natural abilities. Children will absorb much knowledge of the small creatures of Africa without being aware of it.

A section of interesting facts has been added to this second detective story in the Leon Chameleon PI series. It provides valuable and little-known information on chameleons, moles and other creatures featured in the story.

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments Forgot to add some reviews of the book.

"At the age of nine I found the story easy to read and very funny too. My mother read it to my younger brother and laughed a lot as the author, she says, has written the book in a way that makes it funny for parents to read " Rebecca (9) TimeOut, Daily News.

"Leon Chameleon and his veld friends all behave true to nature, so a child who enjoys the unravelling of this simple mystery is discovering (unbeknownst!) a lot about our smaller creatures." African Publishing Review.

"This series marries natural history with anthropomorphic crime-busting, and the mix, though curious, works. Through the format of an imaginative and readable mystery, the reader learns about the ecology and wildlife of Pigeon Valley in KwaZulu-Natal" - Review of Books, Mail and Guardian.

"This story is told from the point of view of smaller animals and utilizes the resources of the detective novel in such a fascinating way that the narrative can safely claim its own genre status as animal crime fiction. " - African Publishing Review.

"The books are beautifully illustrated by Barbara McGuire who captures the characteristics of each little animal and bird perfectly as we ll as portraying the humour that runs throughout the stories." Between the Covers, East Coast Radio.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.