Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Only the Innocent
This topic is about Only the Innocent
Bulletin Board > Book Launch - Only the Innocent in US

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 68 comments Only the Innocent by Rachel Abbott
Only the Innocent with its brand new cover, was launched on 5th February - just over one month ago (and I should have posted it then!!).

It rose up through the charts to position 8 in the Kindle chart by the second week, and yesterday (11th March) it received its 100th FIVE STAR review.

Only the Innocent - should the guilty be punished, or the innocent protected?

http://www.amazon.com/Only-The-Innoce...

message 2: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Thom (maggiethom) | 9 comments Congratulations. How very exciting. :)

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 68 comments Thanks Maggie - good of you to say so. And nice to meet you!

message 4: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel Lepire | 62 comments Looks like a great book, Rachel. I will definitely add it to my (completely out of control, I will never get through this) TBR list. ;-) Congrats on the re-release. Looks like it's going very well!

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 68 comments Thanks Angel - it's going really well. I'm so pleased with the reviews -although yesterday somebody gave it the heading "Excellent" and wrote a glowing review, and gave it a one star! It was her first review, so I suspect there was a bit of confusion. It's the words that matter - not the number of stars!

message 6: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel Lepire | 62 comments Haha, that is too funny. I saw that review, and figured she just got confused. I posted a comment (gently, or so I tried) asking her to clarify since her stars didn't match her praise for the book. Hopefully she'll correct it, but if not, it doesn't appear you're having any trouble finding others to give it great reviews. I'm very much looking forward to reading it myself.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 68 comments Thanks Angel - and for adding the comment. It's something that I never do, obviously. Although I did do on one occasion (but very politely). The first version of Only the Innocent did need some polish - and it got it. But the most popular 3 star review refers to the early version. I think the reviewers comments were justified in relation to the original book, but I just wanted to be clear that I had taken on board what he or she said, and had a very thorough edit. I've been tempted to comment when people have said there are lots of spelling mistakes - that's because my US publishers agreed that we would use British spelling, and not everybody realises (or realizes if you're in the US) that there is often quite a difference!

message 8: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel Lepire | 62 comments Yes, there definitely is. The first British author I read confused me with the 's' instead of 'z' and 'ou' instead of just 'o.' I thought, what is wrong with this poor woman...why can't she spell? Aww, but that is the beauty of gaining wisdom. I guess. ;-)

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 68 comments I do wonder if it was the right strategy - but the publishers are the experts. Perhaps there should be a disclaimer at the start of the book!

message 10: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel Lepire | 62 comments No, I think we Americans just need to get over ourselves and expand our horizons a bit. The book seems more authentic this way.

message 11: by Hamilton (new)

Hamilton Stone (hamiltonstone) Just seen your conversation. Hope you do not mind me joining in.

Its certainly got me thinking, as both my books are based in UK and I am from the UK I used British spelling.

Would you recommend using US spelling in general?

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 68 comments Hi Christian

Sorry for the delay in responding - I don't know what happened there. I'm supposed to be notified when there is a response but I missed yours somehow.

My publishers definitely wanted me to use US spelling, but my agent says that is VERY unusual. However, to me it seems a bit bizarre having a book set in the UK but using American spelling - it somehow wouldn't quite ring true.

The only risk is what has happened to me on a few occasions with Only the Innocent - one or two people might give a bad review because of the spelling. It's very hard to resist pointing out that it's actually NOT a mistake to type colour instead of color, or organise instead of organize - but I still think it feels right.

What does anybody else think?

message 13: by Hamilton (new)

Hamilton Stone (hamiltonstone) Hi Rachel,

Thank you for taking the time to come back to me, I appreciate it.

I have noticed several books with US English from British authors lately. My editor/proofreader also advised using US English, to give my books a universal appeal, but later changed her mind saying UK English suited them better.

I am glad you raised the topic, as I feel it is worthy of debate.

All the best,
Christian

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 68 comments Thanks Christian, and good luck with the book. Let's see if we get any more feedback!

Wendy Unsworth (mamahathaway) | 37 comments Rachel wrote: "Thanks Christian, and good luck with the book. Let's see if we get any more feedback!"

This is an interesting topic, I too am writing about characters who are British and the stories are based around a fictional Cornish village. In this case I think it is right to stay true to our English spellings. The Palaver Tree I guess, for British authors who make that decision, it is just a case of accepting that some US readers will object.
Personally,as a reader, I find my brain just adapts either way when I am reading either a US or UK based story and the spelling doesn't spoil my enjoyment.
Having said all that, if the next book I picked up was peopled with British characters and in a British setting, US English probably would put me off.
Just use the spellings that fit, I say!

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 68 comments I think you're right. If I read a British book with US spelling, I find it a bit uncomfortable. Thanks for the input - good to know I'm not the only one that likes to stick to the British spellings.

message 17: by Hamilton (new)

Hamilton Stone (hamiltonstone) Hi,
Had a very late night so just seen your comments. I also adapt either way. I am sure, in the main US readers will as well. After all its not as if we are writing a completely different language. Looks like Angel (above) is ok with it. Be interesting to hear if other US writers/readers agree.

Meanwhile all the best with The Palaver Tree Wendy and Only The Innocent Rachel - both look great. I will add them to my To Read list :-)

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Abbott (rachel_abbott) | 68 comments Thanks Christian - I think the majority of people are fine - it's just the odd one who somehow thinks that I can't actually spell! I have to try very hard to resist saying that even though that may be true of me occasionally, I think my editors actually can!

Wendy Unsworth (mamahathaway) | 37 comments Christian wrote: "Hi,
Had a very late night so just seen your comments. I also adapt either way. I am sure, in the main US readers will as well. After all its not as if we are writing a completely different langu..."

I suppose we have to accept that we can never please everyone! Very kind of you Christian and good luck to you too. I see you are an author, I will check out your titles!