How to be good How to be good discussion

How do you understand the ending of this novel?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana This is a book I loved, like most of Hornby's stories. I could understand the frustrations of Dr. Carr, the leading character, about her husband, her children, her husband's new interests, life in general. Perhaps she would have liked another kind of life, but she had to make do with the one she's got. She is an unusual woman, but at the same time so much like any other woman. So, what is the darkness she sees before her while she and the kids are helping David to fix the window?

message 3: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana Thanks for the link. I was unaware that there had been a previous thread on this subject. I see I'm not the only one with doubts about the end of the novel. A great book, however!

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Hodgson I too had myself down as a Nick Hornby fan but having read A Long way Down and How to be Good I'm less certain. I think in common with many writers, Nick has written a truly great book (High Fidelity) but failed to come close to matching it with any of his others. How do you think this book compares with his best? Maybe it's just me.
As an aspiring author I know it 'aint easy. Perhaps the book that comes closest is Chemistry by Robert Hodgson (me!). Well you decide and let me know!!

message 5: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana I loved High Fidelity and also About a Boy. As to How to be Good, I wolfed it down but I didn't expect an open end and it really disconcerted me.
Have you published Chemistry? Or are you about to publish it? I'll keep an eye on new publications and remember your name. Best of all!

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Hodgson Hi

You can see Chemistry here;

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

Or on Amazon here;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-Rob...

There's also a giveaway on Goodreads at the moment.

I notice you live in Barcelona - wonderful city - I was there a couple of weeks ago - and not a bad football team!

Rob (Manchester)

message 7: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana Oh, great! Sounds like something I'd love to read. Now it is in my list for near-future purchases. Hearty congrat.
Actually I don't live in Barcelona proper but in a village 40 km south: Sitges, which most probably you have heard of and has been a very fashionable holiday resort for some years now.
No, FCB is not a bad football team at all.
Thanks for your kind words.