Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Replace Cover

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hedley (new)

Hedley | 12 comments Hello,

I just uploaded a cover for my book Why Intelligent People Are Overweight but because it's a white cover it blends into the white of the website. I created a new cover that has a black border but I am unable to delete the first. Can you assist me with this?

Thanks.

Hedley

message 2: by Hedley (new)

Hedley | 12 comments The uploaded file did not display correctly. Could you please delete the photo again so I can re-upload? Thank you, again.

message 3: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Hedley wrote: "The uploaded file did not display correctly. Could you please delete the photo again so I can re-upload? Thank you, again."

I suppose this comes under the general heading of improving the cover image so I've deleted the old one.

message 4: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Corinne wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/91... Title of the book is X4 but the cover is showing X3. In my photos is a copy of X4 i..."

done

message 5: by Hedley (new)

Hedley | 12 comments Hello Banjomike,

Could you please delete the cover for my book "My First Car Was a Motorcycle, My First Girl Was a Woman." The book is not yet published and I need to upload a slightly modified version. Thank you.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I think was done on another thread?

message 7: by Hedley (new)

Hedley | 12 comments Thank you.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan Ruth (janruth) Apologies if this request is in the wrong place.
I need to update my four books with their new covers. How do I do this please?

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments We do not change the cover on a already published book, new alternate cover editions are created:

You can either add yourself

http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/85...

or provide the information requested in the links in msg 1 of the link below.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 10: by Jan (last edited Apr 05, 2013 09:12AM) (new)

Jan Ruth (janruth) Thanks.
I've read the notes provided but may I ask another question?
The books are not available to download via this site, they are merely images and carry no ISBN numbers. I would prefer to replace the old covers to save confusion, as the old covers are no longer available. Anyone looking for the books via Amazon or Smashwords will not see them.
Advice?

message 11: by Monique (new)

Monique (kadiya) | 1099 comments Jan,

Once the alternate editions with the new covers have been created, you can set the new cover as the primary edition via these steps.

Covers are not deleted on GoodReads unless the books were never published using them (they were merely placeholders). Lots of people want to shelve the book using the cover they own.

message 12: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Jan, when Paula and Monique pointed out that 'we', Goodreads, do not change existing covers they also meant that 'you' should not do it either. I've reverted the cover changes you made to three of your books.

Just create an alternate cover editions in the same way as you created the original editions.

message 13: by Jan (last edited Apr 06, 2013 09:12AM) (new)

Jan Ruth (janruth) I find it staggering that you have done this. The books and the covers are my property. The covers are no longer in use. There are no alternate editions.

message 14: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Jan wrote: "I find it staggering that you have done this. The books and the covers are my property. The covers are no longer in use. There are no alternate editions."

I reverted the changes because they go against Goodreads rules which have been in place for years.

They ARE alternate editions. The book with the new cover is different to the book with the old cover. Someone who owns the old book and has it on their bookshelf is not going to be happy if a new image suddenly appears and replaces it.

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan Ruth (janruth) It is the same book, it is NOT a different edition. The image is my property, not the readers. It is merely an image on this site, not the actual book. This is the only site which carries incorrect covers. I am the author and I am NOT HAPPY.

message 16: by Jan (last edited Apr 06, 2013 09:27AM) (new)

Jan Ruth (janruth) I find it especially rude that you have reverted this action-which was simple by the way- without informing me.

message 17: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments This is a book cataloging site and as such users expect to shelve the edition of the book they bought which includes the cover they bought. To a lot of the people on this site new covers are irrelevant since they already own the older cover.

GR policy is NOT to change the covers on published books but to create alternate cover editions, there is no requirement to notify anyone when enforcing policy especially when it has already been pointed out that we do not change covers.

message 18: by Banjomike (last edited Apr 06, 2013 12:36PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Jan wrote: "I find it especially rude that you have reverted this action-which was simple by the way- without informing me."

I did inform you, in message 15 in this thread. Do you mean that I should have asked you to revert your own change?

Obviously Goodreads systems allow covers to be changed in certain circumstances. Bringing out a new edition of the book, and a new cover IS a new edition, does not qualify for a change.

Goodreads is NOT the only site with the old covers. It is on review sites and on your own website.

If you have issues with the application of Goodreads rules on Goodreads website then you must contact Customer Support.

EDIT: to remove image of author website.

message 19: by Jan (last edited Apr 06, 2013 09:56AM) (new)

Jan Ruth (janruth) Yes I am well aware of that site, my son is working on it as we speak. Everywhere else carries the new covers.
Why have you flagged up my site? What difference will it make if you don't intend to change them? Patronising, and splitting hairs.
If you go to Amazon and Smashwords where the books are for sale, and indeed all over Facebook, you will see the new covers.On some review sites the covers have not had chance to upload, but as you can see, eventually Goodreads will be the ONLY site with the old covers. I have to add that it has been welcome and easy to change the covers EVERYWHERE except here.

message 21: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Jan wrote: "Jan Ruth (JanRuth) | 6 comments Yes I am well aware of that site, my son is working on it as we speak. Everywhere else carries the new covers.
Why have you flagged up my site? What difference will it make if you don't intend to change them? Patronising, and splitting hairs.
If you go to Amazon and Smashwords where the books are for sale, and indeed all over Facebook, you will see the new covers. "

You were the one who brought up the idea that these covers appear nowhere else other than Goodreads. That is wrong. Everywhere else DOES NOT carry the new covers.

Goodreads does not restrict itself to sites that are currently selling a book. If it has ever been sold with a particular cover then we keep it.

You need to contact Customer Support. No one else can give you a different answer.

message 22: by Jan (last edited Apr 06, 2013 10:06AM) (new)

Jan Ruth (janruth) I know they don't carry them at this instant but they WILL DO. It has only been a problem on this site, that is my point.You just seem to want to score petty points by pointing out sites where they have not yet uploaded. I can assure you all of these sites do NOT have a problem with new, better quality covers. Except this one.
You are violating my property by interfering with my author profile.

message 23: by Jan (last edited Apr 06, 2013 10:13AM) (new)

Jan Ruth (janruth) I have used this site for a long time and enjoyed it, but I am very disappointed with this as I have spent considerable time and money in improving the product. I can only see adding more covers along the old ones as confusing. Please remove my website from this thread as I am not promoting it until the new covers are on there.

message 24: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Jan wrote: "I have used this site for a long time and enjoyed it, but I am very disappointed with this as I have spent considerable time and money in improving the product. I can only see adding more covers along the old ones as confusing. Please remove my website from this thread as I am not promoting it until the new covers are on there. "

I've removed the image. I'll wait to see what the staff decide.

message 25: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Apr 06, 2013 11:29PM) (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
Jan, speaking as a Goodreads staff member, and the most active moderator of this group, I'd like to direct you to our Author FAQ, specifically items 3 & 4. Regardless of where else the covers of your books have been changed, on Goodreads we keep ALL published covers.

You are welcome to create new alternate-cover editions (or librarians can help with that). Once they are in place, as the author, you will be able to set each new cover as the default for that book. That way, our users can still shelve whichever edition they read, but the most recent covers can appear on your author profile.

Edit: Using your Smashwords link above, I created new editions for the three books I found there. They are combined with the older editions. You can set the new ones as primary for each of those books by following these directions: http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/31...

message 26: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 15 comments Jan wrote: "Yes I am well aware of that site, my son is working on it as we speak. Everywhere else carries the new covers.
Why have you flagged up my site? What difference will it make if you don't intend to c..."

Goodreads is not a bookseller. It is a book cataloging site. Would you go into people's houses and remove their copies of your book from their bookshelves with the old cover and replace it with the new one? That's what you are doing here when you change the cover of a book that people already own and have shelved.

message 27: by Jan (last edited Apr 07, 2013 01:45AM) (new)

Jan Ruth (janruth) rivka wrote: "Jan, speaking as a Goodreads staff member, and the most active moderator of this group, I'd like to direct you to our Author FAQ, specifically items 3 & 4. Regardless of where else the covers of yo..."

Okay. Thanks.

message 28: by Jan (new)

Jan Ruth (janruth) ~Thena~ ♥Machar ♥ Spade ♥ Ethan ♥ Harry♥ wrote: "Jan wrote: "Yes I am well aware of that site, my son is working on it as we speak. Everywhere else carries the new covers.
Why have you flagged up my site? What difference will it make if you don't..."

Nonsense. The internet cannot be compared with going into someones house etc. Childish argument, but let's leave it there as totally irrelevant.

message 29: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 15 comments Jan wrote: "~Thena~ ♥Machar ♥ Spade ♥ Ethan ♥ Harry♥ wrote: "Jan wrote: "Yes I am well aware of that site, my son is working on it as we speak. Everywhere else carries the new covers.
Why have you flagged up ..."

What you are not getting is that shelves on Goodreads are treated like bookshelves in someone's home, and for many members, changing the book covers they shelve without their consent here is little different. To many members it is important that their shelves here match what they actually own, not what is currently for sale. Every book cover that has ever been published is kept because there are people who may own it and may put it on their shelves.

Even if the cover was removed from this site and replaced with the new ine, there are members who own the book withthe old cover who would just create a new record of it so they could have their correct cover. After all, you don't have to be a librarian to add a book. The book records here do not belong to the authors or publishers.

message 30: by Sandi (last edited Apr 07, 2013 08:41AM) (new)

Sandi ~Thena~ ♥Machar ♥ Spade ♥ Ethan ♥ Harry♥ wrote: "shelves on Goodreads are treated like bookshelves in someone's home"

Exactly! I'm one of those users who like their goodreads shelves to be identical with their bookshelves at home. I've spent considerable time adding older editions to the goodreads database, and if someone came along and changed all the covers to the latest version I would be more than upset.

Imagine your books got translated into another language! Would you still want to force all your readers to shelve your latest cover only, even if it was in Spanish/Polish/German?

message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2443 comments Corinne wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11... the cover for this book looks like a recipe not the true cover. True cover with my photos"

Fixed

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) @Jan, please don't confuse the goodreads site and its book catalogue as meaning you have a product page here. Goodreads has data pages, not product pages. Sells nothing and could care less which books or covers are available for sell.

(Yes, with new owners may come new changes—but sale not final until next month and no policy changes yet.)