The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > What to try next?!

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam | 15 comments Hi all!

I've just go into crime fiction, I've tried The Black Echo by Michael Conelly and really liked it, then jumped to Lee Child and read The Killing Floor and Die Trying and loved the action! Now I'm on Headhunters by Jo Nesbo and finding it very different!

Anyway I'm not sure whether to stick to one series or jump around to other authors! I've got the taste for it now and keep spotting other books/authors that look good!

For example Ian Rankin, Mark Billingham, Peter James for a start and I'm sure there's loads more!

To be honest watching tv shows has got me into reading more. I love shows like The Wire, Sprial, Sherkock, Luther, The Mentalist and Burn Notice.

I also love anything to do with government agencies too, CIA, FBI, MI6, MI5.

So I'm sure I'll get bombarded with recommendations now which is great :-)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The best way that I have found to see if I like a particular series is pick up something out of the bargain bin that sounds good. If I like it, I get the rest in the series. Usually works out pretty well. I have found some of my favorite series this way. I like to go on Amazon and buy used books in order to get the rest in a particular series. Sometimes they still have new books that haven't sold yet for a couple dollars. As far as a good book with a government-hired assassin, I would recommend The Innocent. It was the best book I read all last year.

message 3: by Vince (new)

Vince Panone (vincepan1) I think you are off to great start. I second the recommendations for Rankin, and Peter James. James was a recent discovery of mine, a $2.99 Kindle special on the first Grace novel, had me scrambling to track down the entire series, including some that were not readily available in the states. Do read the Grace books in order. I also would add Peter Robinson and the Alan Banks books to your list, and go back to Michael Connelly and Harry Bosch. Enjoy.

message 4: by Boo (new)

Boo Walker (boowalker) Try Plum Island by Nelson Demille. It changed my world. And any Harlan Coben.

message 5: by David (new)

David Grace (davidgrace) | 2 comments Hi Adam, Send me an email at DavidGraceAuthor@gmail.com and tell me what kind of ereader you use and I'll send you my Kirkus Critic's Pick, five star rated crime novel, "The Concrete Kiss."

--David Grace

message 6: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) There are some great OLD mysteries. Check Amazon... some are free and the audible versions are sometimes free on Librivox.

Mystery kindle books
select relevance price low to high

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?key...

Crime kindle books
select relevance price low to high

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?key...

then

Librivox

select our catalogue
add author or title and complete

https://catalog.librivox.org/

message 8: by Adam (new)

Adam | 15 comments Cheers for the replies! Keep them coming!

I just picked up 2 books for £3 in sainsburys that seemed good:

Jar city by Arnaldur Indriðason and The Hollow man by Oliver Harris

Anyone tried these before?

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard (ricoh) | 106 comments Adam wrote: "Cheers for the replies! Keep them coming!

I just picked up 2 books for £3 in sainsburys that seemed good:

Jar city by Arnaldur Indriðason and The Hollow man by Oliver Harris

Anyone tried these b..."

Jar City is a good introduction to Arnaldur Indriðason it may well get you hooked on Scandinavian Noir. Well worth the read

message 10: by Alfred (new)

Alfred Nobile (htpsgoodreadscomalfrednobile) | 24 comments Agreed. Jar City is worth the read.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Derek wrote: "The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1) by Jeffery Deaver. This is the first book of a great series too."

I agree the Lincoln Rhyme series is terrific! It's one of my favorite series and it is really hard to figure out the ending. I have yet to do that with one of these books.

message 12: by Adam (new)

Adam | 15 comments Well I've just started Accident Man by Tom Cain. Pretty good so far!

message 13: by Adam (new)

Adam | 15 comments Just got a really good deal from the book people

10 Michael Connelly books, 10 Ian rankin books, 7 Jo Nesbo Books and 3 Mark Billingham books for £28 :-)

That'll keep me going for a while!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Been reading Ken Bruen Once Were Cops. Not that great.

message 15: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2349 comments James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series. They are a little dark and violent sometimes and some have a touch of woo-woo (supernatural), but I snap up every one as soon as it comes out in paperback.

message 16: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2349 comments I can't read any author's series books one after the other. I have to take a break and read someone different. That way when I go back to an author, his voice is fresh and new again.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder series, James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series, and Robert B Parker's Spenser series. Also Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series, since you like Reacher.

message 18: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2349 comments For police procedurals, you can't beat Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series (50+ books) starting in the 1950s with The Pusher. Early ones may be hard to find in print form but many of them are available as e-books.
Jonathan King's Max Freeman series set in Florida is another good one. The Blue Edge Of Midnight is the first book.

message 19: by Adam (new)

Adam | 15 comments I bought an Ed Mcbain book in the kindle daily deal so will give it a try once I've got through a few Ian Rankin books.

I've just spotted John Connolly, his books sound interesting too!

message 20: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Carruthers | 11 comments Try the Elvis Cole books by Robert Crais, the Scot Harvath books by Brad Thor, The Straw Men by Michael Marshall, the Tres Navarre series by Rick Riordan. If you like humor, try Kinky Friedman, Tim Dorsey, Carl Hiaasen, and the Dortmunder books by Donald Westlake. Anything by Elmore Leonard will be entertaining also.

message 21: by Bill (new)

Bill Welcome to the group, Adam. I see you're already getting many recommendations. I see Mark Billingham mentioned in your first post, and Ian Rankin, both are excellent choices. I've got Peter James on my bookshelf to try out as well. So many options out there.

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1425 comments Hi Adam, welcome to the group.

message 23: by Adam (new)

Adam | 15 comments There's so much out there to choose from! It's great!

I wish I got into reading more when I was younger

message 24: by Brian (new)

Brian Benson (bknight47) | 15 comments Adam wrote: "Hi all!

I've just go into crime fiction, I've tried The Black Echo by Michael Conelly and really liked it, then jumped to Lee Child and read The Killing Floor and Die Trying and loved the action!..."

Try Cob Search For A Serial Killer...B

message 25: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Shisler Boo wrote: "Try Plum Island by Nelson Demille. It changed my world. And any Harlan Coben."

Both are excellent choices. Have you tried anything by Jeffery Deaver? His Lincoln Rhyme novels are great!

message 26: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 187 comments David Baldacci is excellent too

message 27: by Brian (new)

Brian Benson (bknight47) | 15 comments They are right, Deaver, DeMille and Coben are all great reads...B

message 28: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 187 comments Lee child I haven't read. There are so many books I could recommend. Look at my desert island to read again books on my profile. They are my ultimate books and I have read a lot of books not all of which are catalogued.

message 29: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 187 comments Adam, jump around, the only way to read books. I have rarely read the same author in a row. It gets boring and how do you experience new things if you stick with the same things all the time?

message 30: by Brian (new)

Brian Benson (bknight47) | 15 comments I mostly stick with mystery and crime thrillers, but the last few months I have read several different genres, even historical romance. I really am enjoying reading the various genres...B

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Check out Ghostman by Roger Hobbs. This one is fantastic. Hobbs is the new hot ticket.
Ghostman by Roger Hobbs

message 32: by Adam (new)

Adam | 15 comments I've just read two Ian Rankin novels. Going to switch back to Michael Connelly and read a few of his.

Quite like the sound of Harlen Coben too!

message 33: by Brian (new)

Brian Benson (bknight47) | 15 comments Michael Connelly novels are great, if you like the investigator genre...B

message 34: by Connie (new)

Connie I like to skip around with authors and series so I don't feel tied down & can experience more of the literary wonders out there!

message 35: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments Goodreads has opened up so many new authors and genres to me. I like ConnisS like to jump around, it is rare that I will read the same author in a row.

message 36: by Carter (new)

Carter Vance (Carter_Vance) | 8 comments try
Rex Randall and the Jericho Secret Rex Randall and the Jericho Secret by Vince Carter

involves the Secret Service

message 37: by Julie (last edited Aug 01, 2013 11:17PM) (new)

Julie (juliegreenart) | 6 comments Huge fan of Defender and Hunter by Chris Allen - the author has years of military experience that you'll see in his writing and you'll find MI6 and government agencies in there. There's INTREPID agents on the mission to bring criminals to justice and bring the balance back to the system. I hope these are something of interest to you!

message 38: by KyleB (new)

KyleB | 6 comments A chilling psycho thriller, First Night of Summer First Night of Summer by Landon Parham by Landon Parham
I think this book's violence is so misunderstood. This is the deepest of darknesses that this one family must prevail. This should be disturbing. To all parents I say, this is really out there, so don't stick your head in the sand. All I can say is be sure to read it till the LAST page, don't quit in the middle b/c the second half is surprisingly different. The hunter becomes the hunted. It is gritty and dark, emotionally captivating and eye-opening in its fictional story. This is a talented, young author who does some of the best character development I have ever read. Not for the faint of heart. Superb. I can't wait for more from him. I think his ebook is on sale for $0.99 right now...

message 39: by C. (new)

C. Stepp | 36 comments September special! Walking Backwards and Two Thursdays will be on sale at Amazon for the entire month of September. $5.95 USD for the print version and only $2.99 for the Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/C.-Martin-Stepp...