Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Ebooks - ownership of the future

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments An interesting NY Times article recently discussed options we may enjoy in the future to own transferable rights to the ebooks we buy, at least from Amazon.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/08/tec...
".... you are in effect only renting an e-book — or an iTunes song — and your rights are severely limited. That has been the bedrock distinction between physical and electronic works since digital goods became widely available a decade ago.

That distinction is now under attack, both in the courts and the marketplace, and it could shake up the already beleaguered book and music industries. Amazon and Apple, the two biggest forces in electronic goods, are once again at the center of the turmoil."

message 2: by Ann (last edited Mar 11, 2013 09:09PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Article quote: "Both the Amazon and Apple systems aim to solve this problem. Amazon’s patent envisions a book or movie or song being kept in a customer’s personalized “data store.” When an item is no longer wanted, the user could sell or trade it to another user, an action that would automatically delete the item from the first user’s store.
The patent describes what is essentially a gigantic swap meet. Amazon’s 152 million active customers would maintain a list of desired secondhand digital objects."

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments It will be interesting to see how this plays out. There are a lot of variables to be worked out.

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments When I can share an ebook, I will buy an ebook reader (maybe). I am also not happy about the proprietary nature of the devices. I want to own a device, and buy the books where I want. This does not seem to much to ask for.

message 5: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3541 comments I meet a young girl at needlepoint this week. we got to talking about books and I said how I have a nook and love it she said she has the nook HD and loves it her boyfriend bought it for her. she wanted to know how to share books etc. I said alittle bit about it and Goodreads and told her I would write down the info before we left with my name and I could send her books. she was saying that even if she bought a ebook she still get the paper copy because what happens if something happens to the ereader she loses all her books. to myself I'm thinking this is kind of strange. she's not all into the ebook/ereader thing yet maybe. she then told me how her ex boyfriend when they broke up she never got all her books back that he told her that he was lending them out. or something like that. when the stitch and chat was over she left and I thought to myself oh I didn't get to give her the info I was supposed to. then I thought well maybe that was a good idea. it's not saying I won't see in maybe in a few weeks I know she said she can't get back next week maybe maybe the week after. I think she comes in from NY someplace. her family might live in the area but she lives with a boyfriend.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments another article weighs in - ebooks for a penny? Authors out of work, or a fair system for both sides?
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...