The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
This topic is about City of Bones
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sofia (Bookish Wanderess) (sofia-bookishwanderess) | 221 comments This is a discussion where you can talk about anything related with The Mortal Instruments series.

message 2: by Mia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mia | 49 comments I didn't like this series to start off with but after I got to the 3rd book I started to like them more and more. I just finished the 5th book and loovveeddd it!! I can't wait for the 6th.

Savannah | 1 comments I personally hated the ending of the first book, and I didn't read the second for a couple months. I started reading the series again, and by the time I read the 3rd I was in love with the series! I just finished the fourth and am about to get started on the last one!

Mildred Christi (mildredchristi) I absolutely loved these books and can't wait to read the next one in the series. I thought that the first book can stand on its own pretty well, there really wasn't any need to keep reading other than the fact that it was still a great story, but I could've stopped without feeling I was missing something. I hated the cliff hanger in the last one that is out right now though. Most;y just because I don't want to wait for the next one to come out.....

Alexandra  (cherry_crush) | 30 comments Well i can see i'm not the only one disappointed in the first book.. Gosh it was just predictable, and the ending wasn't strong enough, but me and my mania not to give up on a book unless it's absolutely horrible was helpful this time, the second one was much, much better and from the third one on they were purely amazing.

Kayla (kayla_russ) | 6 comments Holy crap!! I didn't realize that it kept going after the 3rd one!! Good to know.

message 7: by Ana (new) - added it

Ana it has been on my list forr a while i have to read it soon so i am interested in your opinions:)

Cathal Reynolds (khakipantsofsex) The third book was my favourite, and I think that's where it should have stopped. It was originally supposed to be a trilogy. I stopped reading them because they got a bit samey for me, but I might try to continue with the series.

Banana_destroyer ELEPHANT (blahhhh) | 4 comments I loved the first book, and got hooked on it, I'm obbsessed with this book and Infernal devices book too
apparently she is making another series based a couple years in the future about clarry's and jaces kids :D <3

Sofia (Bookish Wanderess) (sofia-bookishwanderess) | 221 comments Ana wrote: "it has been on my list forr a while i have to read it soon so i am interested in your opinions:)"

It's an amazing series, you should read the books. The characters are amazing, you will fall in love with them ans with the story.

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4685 comments I haven't read this series yet, but I've heard great things and I'm looking forward to it when I finally have some time!

Patricia Hargraves | 94 comments Is there anyone that has read them that thought the plot was amazingly similar to Harry Potter?

message 13: by Mia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mia | 49 comments the only thing I would have linked to harry potter would be valentines character as he is a lot like voldermort. however when is there ever an original villain now days! and there were still some excellent spots in his character that made him an individual sort of evil:)

message 14: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon (jon17) | 82 comments Lots of books that came out after Harry Potter are similar to Harry Potter.
Lots of books that came out many years before Harry Potter are similar to Harry Potter :)

Marta (marta2602) | 15 comments I really liked this books. =) Personally, I don`t see that much similarities to Harry Potter, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I can`t wait for the 6th book! =)

Does anyone know when it will be published? =)

♥~Zoee~♥ (zoeeracheel) | 8 comments i don't see the similartities to Harry Potter either but i doesn't matter to me i love both of these series

City of Heavenly Fire will be published March 19th 2014

Marta (marta2602) | 15 comments Wow, that`s a long time to wait... Guess I`ll just have to keep myself busy with other books. =) Any recommendations? =)

Emily (emkathh) i don't see any harry potter similarities... what excactly is it that is so similar?

Marta (marta2602) | 15 comments Jon wrote: "Lots of books that came out after Harry Potter are similar to Harry Potter.
Lots of books that came out many years before Harry Potter are similar to Harry Potter :)"

I think someone also mentioned that Valentine has some things in common with Voldemort. Bu I would agree with Jon, there were a lot of books before Harry Potter that had a similar theme, and of course that there are a lot of similar stories published even now. In my opinion it`s because such stories appeal to people and they love to get lost in some magical, imaginary world... =)

Emily (emkathh) I think the Infernal Devices is much better than TMI though :))

Marta (marta2602) | 15 comments I didn`t read that one. =) Is it any good?

Emily (emkathh) It's one of the best I have read! It's another series by Cassandra Clare, but instead of being set in the modern time it is set in 1870 give or take, and the protagonist is Tessa Gray. I really don't want to say anything more because it's so good! :)

Patricia Hargraves | 94 comments Similarities: Main Character grows up with powers but doesn't know it. A complete seperate world within the Mortal World. Protagonist wants to "purify" the Nephiliam Race. Similar lesser characters. I suppose nothing is really that original when there are only maybe six or seven basic plots. When you read a lot it just tends to be more noticeable. With that being said I do like this series and I do like the fact that Clare wrights in a more authentic voice for teens. So all you Clare Lovers retract the claws!

Aleii (Aleiiohmallie) I like the books enough not to put them down and after finishing one book I had to find out what happened next. I'm currently on the fourth book and still enjoying the story. However that said I do find some parts to be kinda childish. Also I'd have liked more character development with some of the people, but its worth reading and getting your own opinion.

Haley Banana_destroyer wrote: "I loved the first book, and got hooked on it, I'm obbsessed with this book and Infernal devices book too
apparently she is making another series based a couple years in the future about clarry's an..."

She going to write like the "Dark Artifacts" series or something, but it's not about Clary and Jace's kids. Clary and Jace are mentioned, but the kids in this series, to the best of my knowledge, are at in Institute across the country. Clary and Jace are just older and possibly characters.

I LOVE this series, completely and absolutely and completely love it :) I think they were quite unique, and I love that CC came up with her own race of characters and their history and abilities. And I really like the love stories and the sarcasm. I know the series has some unoriginal parts and whatnot, but I love it!

I do wish CC would write something other than Shadowhunter books, though, as much as I love them. It would be fun to see what else she could come up with because I'm afraid the plots are going to become too similar if she keeps it up.

Emily (emkathh) The Dark Artifices :) Looking forward to that too, though I kind of agree with you, Haley!

Haley Yes, Dark Artifices! Thank you, Emily :)

Dustin (dalittlestelf) I wish she would write a series based on a vampire perspective or lycan perspective. Shadowhunter a aren't nearly as cool as downworlders

message 29: by Sky (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sky (skyswriting) This was what I thought about TMI lol

http://thebooknatic.wordpress.com/201...

message 30: by N (new) - rated it 5 stars

N | 276 comments I'm currently having a YA period of reading and so I just discovered this series - currently on book 1. I'm enjoying it so far, reminds me of being 15 :)

Nessa S (nessascalera) | 26 comments I got it to read over, the summer! I hope its good!

Shayne McGrath May contain spoilers:
Read them last summer and totally loved them!!! I got so mad last year when I heard the 6th book isn't coming out til 2014!! After I read TMI I read the Infernal Devices (the prequel series) and they were amazing!! Last one (Clockwork Princess) came out and march and had a bad ending cuz the main character Tessa didn't end up with who I wanted her to!!

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4685 comments Hoping to read the first book in this series this summer before the movie comes out. I still haven't read any of her books and they look really interesting.

Sue.Rs | 1 comments Love the series!! I have the 5th book to read.

Kei • fiction court • (fictioncourt) L O V E D it and currently waiting for the next book!

Selma | 28 comments Love The Mortal Instruments!! Can't wait to start on the fourth book.

message 37: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Salaz | 5 comments I haven't read it yet but it's on my todo list I wanna read the first book before the movie comes out

message 38: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara (sararasheed) | 16 comments Am reading the third book now, already excited :D

Destany | 25 comments I'm about to start the last one. I hope it's good !!!!

message 40: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna (annaherondalecarstairs) I just LOVED the series from the beginning, I loved the characters, I was immediately drawn to the story and everything about the first book made me wanna read the next one, and then the next one. The third and the fifth books are my favorite, I cried so hard while reading them and when I finished them. I can't wait for the last book to come out! This is by far my favorite series!

Shayna Varadeaux (ShaeAnn77) | 99 comments I absolutely love this series! I am hoping the movie will be true to print but I already don't like their choice for Jace.
I thought he was supposed to be hot LOL!

message 42: by emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

emma (readsneversleeps) At first I was wary of the actor they picked for Jace, but now I'm totally on board!

message 43: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian Maria Morgan Who is also deeply disapointed with the movie? I have a list of major let downs. It had so much potential. The movie could of been Hunger Games big.

Kelly (kellytam) | 8 comments I like the third book best and now I'm currently reading the fifth. Well, I'm kinda disappointed with the movie.. When I see the cast of Jace, I'm like what on earth? Are you Kidding me?? i mean i'm disappointed.. but it's still a good series.

Yesenia Maqueda (annechase) | 140 comments From the minute I started reading the series, I was in love! Lets just hope that the movie is as good as the books!

Eldarwen | 3558 comments I think it's a good thing that the first book of this series will be BOTM in June! It gets me to finally read the series.
And just in time for the movie to come out this summer as well. Hopefully it won't ruin it. But I have to admit, Jonathan Rhys Meyers being in it is a big plus for me ;-)
So sometime in June, I'll jump back into the convo here hehe.

message 47: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Jr. (michaeljwyantjr) I thought the series was okay, but I just couldn't really wrap myself up in it. After reading through this discussion, I think I might be the only person in the world who did *NOT* like Jace. He was a tortured soul pretty boy and that just bugged me since he never seemed to develop past that.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think that holds true for every character *except* Simon. That boy/man evolved and grew so much, but was still obviously himself by the end of the series. That's the type of development I want to see and it was sad that it only happened with a minor part of the cast.

message 48: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian Maria Morgan Thank you Mike for speaking those words of truth.

Kelly (kellyddh) okay so I ready the first 3 books and really liked them. I know that was supposed to be the end until she added the last ones. I liked the ending of COG. Should I read the 4 and 5 or do they take away from the story??

Kelly (kellyddh) I'm going to take your word for it and read them Sara but not right now. I'm clary and jace'd out. I actually really dislike those 2. Before I found out who Sebastian was I really wanted clary to be with him! Jace really gets on my nerves!! I'm a Simon fan myself!

« previous 1